GOAL's "Art of Concealed Carry in Massachusetts" c

I had sent spoke to C-X about wanting to take this course. But because of the location and time, I haven't been able to do it.

I would like to know how it is...from the reviews I hear that it's a very good class to take.

I just wish that it would move around to different locations.

I took the course last year; it is definitely worth the price of admission. Lots of information, not only on legal ramifications of carrying the gun, but some role playing with different scenarios - about threat levels, awareness, and appropriate response - walk away, use pepper, shoot, etc.

Take the course if you carry or want to carry; you won't be disappointed.

Was a senerio piece. Never did any training where I pulled punches. Probably should not have tried.

Situation was an ATM. Mungo comes in fast presenting a gun. The setup was just too classic, but I didn't take advantage of it and just handed over the wallet.

When pressed, I explained that I would have taken him out, but not with any of the 'tools'. Was asked to demonstrate.

The initial divert/grab/strike connected with his jaw.

Left the exercise to a discussion at that point.

Fact is that with training anyone close enough to touch can be easily disarmed. With a firearm, it is almost easier due to the fact that the muzzle only has to miss and a gun is usually not hard to pull away. A knife is more of a danger and you need to accept that you will get cut. The sad fact is that a lot of criminals know this and will generally not allow that close a confrontation. But for the lesser skilled attacker, it is amazingly effective. First because they feel very safe behind the gun, and dispite the adrenalin, the surprise of a victim actually retaliating open hand is a measure of advantage. Secondly, their whole plan is based on whatever tool you were waving in front of them and will continue to attept to use it even when you've rendered it useless.

I don't want to get into the details as the mechanics of the techniques require formal training and practice which are beyond this forum.

Had Jon been several steps back, the situation would have been MUCH different. But that's the whole thing with senerios, small changes make the whole event different and techniques applicable to one may or may not be applicable to another.

Frankly, given all the choices, I'd rather be known as the master of avoiding trouble in the first place than being able to handle myself when the fecal matter hits the air circulator. Course, being good at both isn't a bad idea. (^_^)

And yes, the class will help you to avoid trouble.

A lot of the best self-defense techniques have nothing to do with defending yourself. It is in avoiding the problem in the first place. Perhaps I'm preaching to the choir here, but the real place to emphisize practice and training is just in making an effort to be completely aware of what is around you at all times. Jeff Cooper likes to use the 'color' conditions which work.

White: Condition white is the average American. It's very ikely most of you are in this condition right now. You have little or no awareness of what is going on around you. Head is down, focus in on what is in front of you. Not ready to handle anythig that occurs instantly. About the only time this is allowed is in your own home where other things can do the job (dog, locks, alarms, etc)

Yellow: Condition yellow is the act of active awareness. You are not alarmed, only making the effort to stay alert to your environment. This isn't easy at first and you can find yourself exhausted making the effort to do so. But over time it becomes natural and automatic.

Orange: Conditon Orange is that 'little voice' that tells you something isn't right. You become more alert and more carefully observe whatever it was that caused you the alert. Perhaps you want to alter your own actions to give distance or to let a person know you see them with direct eye contact. Perhaps you make a note of something you feel is amiss.

Red: Condition Red is the need to act. Whatever that is. Could be defensive. Could be avoidance (you heard a downpour approaching and run for shelter befor eit arrives)

The idea is that if you are ready to idnetify issues, you are less likely to have to deal with them unexpectedly.

BAck to the ATM. How many people do we see crowd into the little terminal and keep their back to the world? I'm always looking around, shifting my stance to give me a better view. I look people in the eye. There is little chance that someone would ever get that close without me knowing it and being ready to deal with it.

A perfect case is this: Do you ever try to see if the door is locked or jammed open when you use an ATM after hours before you buzz in? DO you use ATMs that are in non-secure environments?

IS you pin obvious when you punch it? I've practiced mine so that I can use different fingers in case someone is watching.

And on and on and on and on.....

Anyway, I've strayed way off topic here. (^_^)

Nickle said:
OT, yes, but very much so NEEDED. Most folks don't even consider any of this.

+1 good post Chris. Avoiding the danger zone (arms reach) confrontations should be a priority. Being situationally aware will aide you in doing so.

Chris said:
A perfect case is this: Do you ever try to see if the door is locked or jammed open when you use an ATM after hours before you buzz in?

Always. And I try to grow eyes in the the back of my head when in those little aquariums. I always feel like a lobster in a restaurant tank when I'm in a little glass-enclosed ATM... keep waiting for the waiter/robber to try and scoop me up.

Ross

Back
Top Bottom