• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gobble, Gobble - MA Spring Turkey - April 26th...

ccm75

NES Member
Looking forward to getting out!
Just printed off my license, permits and tags.

Already seeing Toms chasing hens and seeing more roadkill hens than normal.
Last year I tagged out with two jakes, so this year it's a self imposed "no Jake" rule until time is running out...

Get those calls out and start practicing...!

I have so much cam footage, stalking trips, and sightings of huge groups of toms and hens up until they split up for harem building about 2-3 weeks ago. I’m pumped to get out there Monday. Patterned my Browning Gold with a few loads today actually. Federal Turkey Mag is pretty damn good even out to 50 yards if I had to. Top left is Fed 25 yds. Bottom left is the Fed at 50yds. Top right is WWB #6 and bottom right is Rio #5 game load both at 25 yds as well. 2 targets were older with 5.56/and or 6.5cr holes in them.
5A75D44C-7704-4093-8B29-E32993371078.jpeg

Anyone tag out?

I called one in Zone 5 and couldn’t seal the deal as he was out of sight, my calling is not so great so I don’t overdue it, and he moved further on to my right in wetlands until I didn't hear him gobble anymore.

Don't forget your turkey sticker. Straight shooting everyone[cheers]

Spooked one out of a tree this morning walked right under the tree it was in and set up my decoy.I got set up and started to prune a little for a clean view and it flew off in the other direction.

I planned on going out Thursday. I think I know where they're going to be in the rain. Went to the doctors today for a wrist issue. They ended up giving me a shot of cortisone for my trigger finger. Which really didn't bother me. Now I can't even pick up a fork my arm is killing me never mind A bow.

I heard a hen just before dawn...it 'clucked' back... we 'chatted' for a bit...then at dawn it flew out of the tree (that was 50 FEET), and landed 100 yards away....
BUSTED! :(

That was it seeing turkey in the woods....but on the ride home they were everywhere! ....and I had to let 3 long beards cross in front of me! !@#$!@#$@#$ :mad:

Took the day off to chase some birds......

Had a small jake all over me this morning but there was another gobbler hung up down the hill. Wanted to see what that was so I let junior walk. He would walk off then come back at a run gobbling, when I called the one down the hill. Kinda funny.

Never saw the other one......gave up at 9 and went home to do some yard/tractor/reloading work.

No birds, but I called in 3 coyotes separately. One was about 20 feet away.

Those damn safety stickers won't stick to my receiver or stock. Guess I'll keep one in my wallet in case I need it.

I had a Tom answering my calls from way way off but getting closer all the time. As he kept getting closer i see another Tom coming through the wood in front of me. I have an opening right in front of my about 20 to 30yds with no brush at all . Im hidden in a a clump of brush at the base af a tree . The tom comes in and just before stepping into the open he sits down behond a tree. I had a small window just before he sat down but decided to wait for him to get into the opening.
Instead of walking into the opening he walks away from me with the tree blocking my shot. At about 45 yds out he steps into the opening but is walking away from me with only a small part of his head showing . Knowing i wont get another shot at him i fire anf see him run away with what looks like very little injury if any at all .

Just as i fire to my left 15 feet away is the big turkey who was doing all the gobbling . He sees me and starts runiing i fire but he's so close i dont think the pattern opened up at all and i miss him . I then short stroke the bolt on my turkey gun and it jams as he flies away.

I spent an hour looking for the first turkey but find no big feathers or blood. :(

I had a Tom answering my calls from way way off but getting closer all the time. As he kept getting closer i see another Tom coming through the wood in front of me. I have an opening right in front of my about 20 to 30yds with no brush at all . Im hidden in a a clump of brush at the base af a tree . The tom comes in and just before stepping into the open he sits down behond a tree. I had a small window just before he sat down but decided to wait for him to get into the opening.
Instead of walking into the opening he walks away from me with the tree blocking my shot. At about 45 yds out he steps into the opening but is walking away from me with only a small part of his head showing . Knowing i wont get another shot at him i fire anf see him run away with what looks like very little injury if any at all .

Just as i fire to my left 15 feet away is the big turkey who was doing all the gobbling . He sees me and starts runiing i fire but he's so close i dont think the pattern opened up at all and i miss him . I then short stroke the bolt on my turkey gun and it jams as he flies away.

I spent an hour looking for the first turkey but find no big feathers or blood. :(
That sucks. But you did the ethical thing by pursuing the first bird. Good on you

I went to a MA wildlife office today and they are closed to the public? How are people getting their stickers?

At the gun club the other day one turkey casually walked across the line of fire. And then another flew over.

The way many of our members shoot those birds were perfectly safe...

:)

Back
Top Bottom