• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Going for a 40+ acre lot....Thoughts?

He has 1.3 acres. The issue he may still face is that a corner lot a few houses up has a flag lot that takes about another 25ft of his “backyard” and comes to a point to meet at the lot corner where 4 abutters converge behind that woodpile. That other owner is selling and who knows what may occur next.

Conveniently you know a surveyor he can use to sort out lot lines. 🙃

I like your zoo. Reminds me I need to check cameras-I just put a third one on it and adjusted one of the others as all I keep getting is the eyeball of a bear from 10 inches away. Likely going to spring for a couple of cell cameras just for the heck of it-I think Cabelas has some spypoints on sale.

Conveniently you know a surveyor he can use to sort out lot lines. 🙃

I like your zoo. Reminds me I need to check cameras-I just put a third one on it and adjusted one of the others as all I keep getting is the eyeball of a bear from 10 inches away. Likely going to spring for a couple of cell cameras just for the heck of it-I think Cabelas has some spypoints on sale.
Wish I could use cell cameras. The service sucks out here and unless my baby daddy Biden brings some bucks for high speed internet here I’ll stick to carrying the cards.

Wish I could use cell cameras. The service sucks out here and unless my baby daddy Biden brings some bucks for high speed internet here I’ll stick to carrying the cards.

Yeah, the place I bought is the opposite of how I'm renting.
Rental: Zero cell service of any flavor. Great internet.
Land: Good Verizon and T-Mobile. Zero broadband run out that way.

Yup. Maybe. The question is why are they surveying the property. It's about 80 acres of forest that was once granted development rights back the 80's.
My back woods may soon be full of ticky tacky houses. Just like the McMansions across the street from me.

Get the name of the surveyor on the stake cap and reach out and ask the purpose of the survey.
Or even better: if you want to control that 80 acres and not allow development, submit a winning bid.

Ownership is the only legitimate form of zoning. If you want to control it, buy it.

Yup. Maybe. The question is why are they surveying the property. It's about 80 acres of forest that was once granted development rights back the 80's.
My back woods may soon be full of ticky tacky houses. Just like the McMansions across the street from me.
Everyone wants a nice house in a good area followed by slamming the door shut on others doing the same.

Or even better: if you want to control that 80 acres and not allow development, submit a winning bid.

Ownership is the only legitimate form of zoning. If you want to control it, buy it.

Everyone wants a nice house in a good area followed by slamming the door shut on others doing the same.
Oh, I'm not going to try to stop it. The houses in the development across the street are selling for over a million. Last one sold for 1.3M. I'm certain that it will increase my home value further.
And it will be the motivation for me to put out the For Sale sign and find my own 40 acre slice of heaven.
ETA : I make my living building houses for wealthy NYers. I know what side my bread is buttered on.

I’m tired of the city life and we’re planning on a new efficient build with a long gravel drive on private water and sewer. There are few properties like that existing on 40+ acres so we’re buying land first. Minimum of 30 acres as I want to have plenty of setbacks for shooting and hunting.

Any thoughts on best practices?

1. Chapter 61?
2. Equity to play long game vs land loans>construction loans
3. Hobby farming > full production to support family
4. Dealing with trespassers
5. Creating Habitat
6. Cost of home vs cost of land and general breakdown of costs.

I’m skilled in all things short of laying a foundation or being able to use heavy machinery since I don’t own any nor do I want to. I’m planning on getting either a very very small excavator or skid steer with tracks and addons. Long gravel road with underground electric. Still looking for the perfect plot and will do perc test (if not done already), well, land clearing. Not looking for a lawn. Not looking for anything fancy but a custom cape with 3 beds/2 baths with 2 car garage. I will build a very large shed or barn. I have a builder already who is pliable and my timeframe is 2-4 years. Worcester County Ma is the location.
Haha no savings at all... The government is broke and will get their pound of flesh regardless the laws or morality of their actions. You don't want to buy anything that can be taxed or seized rite now.
Doesn't matter... Interest rates are Changing and you can be sure it will not favor you.
Hobby farming? You mean poisoning the residents and scorching the land? Massachusetts is known for previous generations poisoning the well... Don't grow food here, too much industry, airports etc. You'll probably disturb some previously discharged toxin and expose yourself to it. (Thank the air force).
Again it's Massachusetts, you can wave to the trespassers... About it.
Creating habitat for what? Locals to poach your game or film you participating in "animal cruelty"
Haha move to vt

If you go Ch61, you will probably have to have it titled as two separate lots - chapter land and your residential land.

Haha no savings at all... The government is broke and will get their pound of flesh regardless the laws or morality of their actions. You don't want to buy anything that can be taxed or seized rite now.
Doesn't matter... Interest rates are Changing and you can be sure it will not favor you.
Hobby farming? You mean poisoning the residents and scorching the land? Massachusetts is known for previous generations poisoning the well... Don't grow food here, too much industry, airports etc. You'll probably disturb some previously discharged toxin and expose yourself to it. (Thank the air force).
Creating habitat for what? Locals to poach your game or film you participating in "animal cruelty"
Haha move to vt
Boy you’re a Debby downer. Much mental flossing with that post you just made. I’ve had this land since 2020 and have already made money off it with much more to come. Taxes? $40 per year. Revenue stream for a long time? Priceless. Do you have any idea how much money comes from clearcutting an 80 yr old high quality successional forest? Being that you just recently were asking to use someone else’s land for your target shooting shows you have a lot to learn about private ownership and land ownership. Are you feeling the Bern? We could bloviate all day about how paying taxes shows you don’t own anything. We could also try to sing the praises about which state is best to live free. That argument can be quite futile.

There are many ways to determine brownfields. Don’t buy next to an airport. Don’t buy on a previous industrial site. Check ArcGis mapping layers for such things as setbacks, wetlands, buffer zones, etc.
Hobby farming? If you wanna do that you should have bought your fertilizers in bulk last year cuz guess what’s happening to the prices in the next few years? Every heard of agroforestry? There is abundant food in the wild if you’re willing to learn how to find it. Can you practically claim to ward off trespassers and nodogooders? Of course not, but if we ever get down to the point where people are trying to kill one another for food then you better hope you have an escape route, shtf plan, and means to protect/defend yourself and family. Bottom line is you should spend sometime in the survival forum or acquaint yourself with those things rather than poopoo on my parade. There are 5 pages to read before you comment.

Haha move to vt

please show us on the doll where mass touched you..... [rofl]

Wouldn't that open up a large portion of southern New Hampshire? I suppose a lot of it has to do with what you consider non peak hours.
Good luck with your plans. It sounds like you have given it some thought. It would be great to be able to hunt on your own land and doing so in most of Worcester County will hardly raise an eyebrow. As for "shooting" on your land, that may be a different story, depending on your plans. It's one thing to sight in your deer rifle and put a box of ammo through it. 30 round mag dumps from an AR is likely to bring unwanted attention, even on a 40 acre parcel. Especially in months when the leaves are down.
If I was going to drop that much coin, I would have to consider living someplace I could own suppressors and other items prohibited in Mass.

A small Bobcat is pretty capable, but you may find a decent tractor gives you more flexibility and makes it a lot easier to maintain a long gravel driveway.
40 acres..in southern NH these days? Very expensive. The commute from Hampton to Boston can be 90 minutes unless way out of the normal working hours.

40 acres..in southern NH these days? Very expensive. The commute from Hampton to Boston can be 90 minutes unless way out of the normal working hours.
Everything changed after Q4 2020. Everything. My land is worth about 80-100% more since I bought it. Prices are only going up for raw land (if quality land).

please show us on the doll where mass touched you..... [rofl]
Western mass is the "desolate isolated" part of the state and still we have awful pollution...
Greenfield - Deerfield river - textile industry - cyanide waste
Holyoke - Chicopee river , CT river, arsenic from paper industry
Westfield - leather industry polluted everything for years
Westover - c5 dump fuel on landing until 1988? I believe? Pfas
Most towns in my area prohibit use of ground water or wells for residential lots.
Seen many white tail livers with bumps and discoloration

Post #3
I should have specified location. This will be Worcester County MA.
I don't think southern NH is appreciably more expensive than Worcester Co.
And the commute will be 90 minutes. Not can be, will be.
All things being equal, I get out of Mass just because of the motards on the Hill. And just to buy pmags... [laugh] [laugh]

But the OP announced his target area.

Actually no.... About 2.5 acres around my house are excluded from 61A but it's all one property, taxed at different rates.
Correct. One title exists and one title only and both lots taxed at different rates. The town wants their tax revenues, fine. The State benefits you by taxing less for current use which enhances many facets of life.

If you go Ch61, you will probably have to have it titled as two separate lots - chapter land and your residential land.
I have my property in Ch 61. It is not necessary to do separate deeds, the assessors simply drew a line on their map and put 41 acres in Ch. 61 and 3 acres for the house lot.

Boy you’re a Debby downer. Much mental flossing with that post you just made. I’ve had this land since 2020 and have already made money off it with much more to come. Taxes? $40 per year. Revenue stream for a long time? Priceless. Do you have any idea how much money comes from clearcutting an 80 yr old high quality successional forest? Being that you just recently were asking to use someone else’s land for your target shooting shows you have a lot to learn about private ownership and land ownership. Are you feeling the Bern? We could bloviate all day about how paying taxes shows you don’t own anything. We could also try to sing the praises about which state is best to live free. That argument can be quite futile.

There are many ways to determine brownfields. Don’t buy next to an airport. Don’t buy on a previous industrial site. Check ArcGis mapping layers for such things as setbacks, wetlands, buffer zones, etc.
Hobby farming? If you wanna do that you should have bought your fertilizers in bulk last year cuz guess what’s happening to the prices in the next few years? Every heard of agroforestry? There is abundant food in the wild if you’re willing to learn how to find it. Can you practically claim to ward off trespassers and nodogooders? Of course not, but if we ever get down to the point where people are trying to kill one another for food then you better hope you have an escape route, shtf plan, and means to protect/defend yourself and family. Bottom line is you should spend sometime in the survival forum or acquaint yourself with those things rather than poopoo on my parade. There are 5 pages to read before you comment.
Vt is better
If that's your plan... You're anchoring yourself directly in the path of everyone fleeing Boston NY HARTFORD etc... Bad idea
Read about the great depression, wild turkeys rabbits and even squirrel populations were entirely eaten up by village, town, city population centers for hundreds of miles. Agroforestry doesn't work without ROL
It is good to hear you are gathering resources for those passing through though

Vt is better
If that's your plan... You're anchoring yourself directly in the path of everyone fleeing Boston NY HARTFORD etc... Bad idea
Read about the great depression, wild turkeys rabbits and even squirrel populations were entirely eaten up by village, town, city population centers for hundreds of miles. Agroforestry doesn't work without ROL
It is good to hear you are gathering resources for those passing through though
Boston will go north. NY will go north to upstate. Hartford will go to western Ma. Where I am tribes will set booby traps and bouncing bettys for any city slickers not to mention the full auto sentries and FLIR attacks.

The libs in Vt will eat you alive.

Boston will go north. NY will go north to upstate. Hartford will go to western Ma. Where I am tribes will set booby traps and bouncing bettys for any city slickers not to mention the full auto sentries and FLIR attacks.

The libs in Vt will eat you alive.
Your preps are already putting you in a dangerous position...
Constructive possession\intent could put you in prison with that statement...
Chicken little, you are doing it to yourself... Your "preparation" is turning into a self fulfilling prophecy
Don't be scared, your going to scare other ppl and that is very dangerous considering the efficiency of our security services

Your preps are already putting you in a dangerous position...
Constructive possession\intent could put you in prison with that statement...
Chicken little, you are doing it to yourself... Your "preparation" is turning into a self fulfilling prophecy
Don't be scared, your going to scare other ppl and that is very dangerous considering the efficiency of our security services

Edgelord ranking = 0/10

fail

Has the property been really checked 🤔

Do I have to un-ignore to see post #164 and others :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom