Going to pull bullets on some bad powder reloads....need advice.

I have both the kinetic "hammer" and the Hornady press puller. In my limited experience, the puller works better on the longer bullets (my 30-06 rounds), while the kinetic works well on the shorter round nose (my 9mm). I was struggling to get the puller to "grab" the 9mm, and I was marring the bullet plating and/or the cases. YMMV
Same experience here.

Waste of time. The primers are compromised at that point.

I would remove the decapping pin and resize them.

What do you mean the primers are "compromised"? I've reinstalled primers that I pushed out of messed up brass with no issues at all.

If he pulls the bullets and powder using a kinetic puller then resizes the brass the primers are not affected at all.

They are lee dies from the 3 die Lee set. Is the pin removable? I'll have to check. But......they definitely need to be resized? Can't just rebell sear and crimp?
Yes it is, take the pin out, and buy two of the hammer things or a puller die set, you will break at least one of the hammer things pulling 250 bullets.

I have about 250 357 magnum rounds that are no good. Bad batch of powder.....confirmed.....don't need advice on how to try to get them to work......they are definitely junk. So....I'm gonna get a bullet pulling hammer thingamabob......because in this current primer situation I NEED those primers. My question is once I use the thingamabob whats next? Do I have to run the cases through the resizer at all or just flair.....fill....seat.....crimp? If I have to resize it'll automatically deprime worh my dies and I don't want to lose those primers......

How would you all proceed?

For that many pulls I would get one of those collet jobs you run on a press. The hammer is for one offs quickies.... 250? ouch.

They are lee dies from the 3 die Lee set. Is the pin removable? I'll have to check. But......they definitely need to be resized? Can't just rebell sear and crimp?
Yes, they should be resized. You've already stretched the case installing a bullet and crimping it. Resizing will start you from scratch and give you proper neck tension when you reinstall a bullet and crimp.

For that many pulls I would get one of those collet jobs you run on a press. The hammer is for one offs quickies.... 250? ouch.
The hammer is better for pistol bullets, 250 is not a lot to do, just do 25 at a time.

The collet type pullers are better suited for rifle bullets and they usually leave pull marks on the bullets. This is not an issue for just plinking ammo but can render expensive bullets into junk.

The hammer is better for pistol bullets, 250 is not a lot to do, just do 25 at a time.

The collet type pullers are better suited for rifle bullets and they usually leave pull marks on the bullets. This is not an issue for just plinking ammo but can render expensive bullets into junk.
Yeah I struggle with the collet puller on Pistol bullets. I thought I was doing something wrong but it appears many others have the same issue.

The hammer puller works fine.
I suggest getting a slab of lead or chunk of maple to hammer it on.
You can pull the decap pin and just size the brass, no?
I have a bucket of loads i need to pull. I just cant bother at this point. 250 is not enough for me to bother right now.

Early last year I made 200 something 9mm on my SDB before realizing the hopper wasn’t seated correctly on the flaring die. Result was vastly inconsistent charges from no powder to just enough to make a round plop out the muzzle. I pulled all of them with the kinetic puller and what a PITA it was! I ended up just re-flaring each one and going from there but YMMV with .357.

Early last year I made 200 something 9mm on my SDB before realizing the hopper wasn’t seated correctly on the flaring die. Result was vastly inconsistent charges from no powder to just enough to make a round plop out the muzzle. I pulled all of them with the kinetic puller and what a PITA it was! I ended up just re-flaring each one and going from there but YMMV with .357.
Good on discovering your mistake and pulling them but my mileage varies greatly regarding resizing.

Once a bullet is seated the case mouth is stretched. You'll not optimum performace nor consistency doing that.

Good on discovering your mistake and pulling them but my mileage varies greatly regarding resizing.

Once a bullet is seated the case mouth is stretched. You'll not optimum performace nor consistency doing that.

I see what you mean, where each of those cases did not go through the resizing die again after I'd pull all those squibs. All the "redone" rounds went through my Colt competition and at least a few of my Lugers just fine though. Learned my lesson and hopefully I'll never have to test the theory again. ;)

I just pulled 150 of them in 40 minutes! I'm not joking its easy as hell. I set up in the basement using a task stool set low.....reason for that is I tapped the puller on the cement floor right beside me. I found quick that quick tap tap tap tap on the cement pulled it in seconds. Then I unscrew and set the plastic ring on the desk and then turn the hammer over into a Tupperware with my left hand while my right hand dropped the empty case in the ammo holder quick grab a new cartridge set it in the collet.....set the collet in the hammer grab the plastic ring and screw it on.....reach down to the floor tap tap tap tap till I hear the jiggle of the projo rinse and repeat. I averaged 3.75 A MINUTE! My kid timed me! The things easy.

I'll reload the 150 I broke down tomorrow.

Last edited:
I push live primers out with my press with the depriming die. Just don't slam it with the pin and you should be fine. I never had one go off.
Any issues reusing the live primers after removing them ? I was reloading 380 this evening and had five rounds that didnt pass QC. Thanks in advance

Any issues reusing the live primers after removing them ? I was reloading 380 this evening and had five rounds that didnt pass QC. Thanks in advance
Go slow and it's not a problem.

If you are going to reload the rounds just remove the decapping pin from the sizing die

Already removed projectiles and powder. Brass was the issue. First time reloader. Seemed sacrilegious to throw them out.
Pop the pin from your sizing die and reload without removing the primer - I'm embarrassed to say how many I've done like this but you can really get going on a progressive with a pound of bad powder.

Back
Top Bottom