• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gold and silver prices are down

The net must read everything - no less than 10 minutes after my post, I got a pop-up ad for PMs stating now is the time to buy (I stopped reading at that point) because of the current Gold to Silver price ratio.

The net must read everything - no less than 10 minutes after my post, I got a pop-up ad for PMs stating now is the time to buy (I stopped reading at that point) because of the current Gold to Silver price ratio.

Yeah, if I go to Bloomberg's finance page, most of the articles are gold related - they're not even ads, they're actual articles. That's creepy.

What creeps me out is when I talk about something and start getting online ads for that thing. Happened a couple of times with home improvement discussions my wife and I had. I never searched for “siding” or “porches” but I started getting ads for siding and porches after discussing them.

Yeah, if I go to Bloomberg's finance page, most of the articles are gold related - they're not even ads, they're actual articles. That's creepy.
I wonder if the articles track ad dollars ... just like how gun mags only seem to review the guns of manufacturers who advertise in their rag.

What creeps me out is when I talk about something and start getting online ads for that thing. Happened a couple of times with home improvement discussions my wife and I had. I never searched for “siding” or “porches” but I started getting ads for siding and porches after discussing them.

Yeah, there was a recent article about how Apple uses Siri to record your private conversations (even when you don't use Siri) and Apple employees listen to them. I disabled Siri but who knows if that works. We know Facebook looks through your phone. I know that cause my gun shop-related Facebook account keeps offering to friend my contacts even though it doesn't have access to them.

Silver spot opened at $18.27 this morning. Anyone else think we'll see that big breakout this summer still?

Yes, silver is leading gold which is very bullish. Mining stocks are leading gold which is also bullish. I think we'll see $20 silver soon.

General stock market crash could delay that however. Silver will go down with stocks if they crash. At some point the monetary component of silver will take over the industrial metal aspect and silver will go ballistic. Maybe when gold breaches $1900.

I have been getting into and out of silver since 1964. I've missed some of the highs by stepping out a bit early, but have consistently made money.

I am sitting on a good number of Silver Eagles and am thinking about the next time to sell.

Anyone offer a guess as to where you will step out? 25, 30?

$12 over spot w/ 5% Bucks. Best you're gonna get these days. :(

Silver 100 ounce bars, Buy it Now, are still increasing of value:

Pre 1933 PCGS/NCG rated Gold US $20 St. Gaudens also strong:

$1841 for an MS-63 after 5% Ebay Bucks. Not sure that's a good price but these days no such thing!

I paid $17 for a lot of my Eagles in the last 2 years. Not a bad return, but I'm holding out for $50 minimum.

I have stock in Bear Creek Mining. Their market cap is $200 million, but with each $1 the silver price increases, their net asset value goes up like $115 million. So if silver goes to $50 the stock will go up 1500%. That's where the money will be made, in the miners.

PAAS and SLVRF for me have been making a killing. PAAS is well known miner but SLVRF is an Eric Sprott favorite. with $50 silver or above i expect PAAS to be on fire, but especially SLVRF should be up huge. just pure silver plays here. i expect silver has major catching up to do in regards to gold/silver ratio.

Yeah, there was a recent article about how Apple uses Siri to record your private conversations (even when you don't use Siri) and Apple employees listen to them. I disabled Siri but who knows if that works.
That doesn't quite match up with any analysis I've seen.
Silver spot opened at $18.27 this morning. Anyone else think we'll see that big breakout this summer still?
I wouldn't bet against silver breaking $25 before fall.

PAAS and SLVRF for me have been making a killing. PAAS is well known miner but SLVRF is an Eric Sprott favorite. with $50 silver or above i expect PAAS to be on fire, but especially SLVRF should be up huge. just pure silver plays here. i expect silver has major catching up to do in regards to gold/silver ratio.

Nice. Yeah I hear those names a lot but haven't bought either one, don't know enough about them. Eric Sprott buys everything in sight, so I don't usually follow his picks, but I listen to the Sprott Money podcast, and 6-7 months ago, he started talking in every single podcast about Wallbridge Mining - it was like he was possessed, he couldn't stop talking about it. I bought it, figured if he liked something that much, I should probably give it a shot. It's up 300% since then. :oops: The amazing thing was it went all the way back to where I bought it back in March, and has tripled since then. Shoulda bought more, lol. I got Great Bear Resources a similar way, it was like everybody on the mining podcasts was talking about it, so when it pulled back a little I jumped in.

The original whistleblower claim.

Apple apologizes and says it'll stop the program of secretly recording users using Siri.

Apple is still doing it.

You'll like this chart.

Mark_0602_4.gif

Anybody use an insurance provider for coins beyond the coverage included in your homeowner's insurance? Eastern, Collectibles, somebody else?

Banks, for example, are notorious for not paying out for disappearing deposit box contents.

The original whistleblower claim.
Apple apologizes and says it'll stop the program of secretly recording users using Siri.
Apple is still doing it.
So "Siri being triggered by accident." isn't the same as " Apple uses Siri to record your private conversations (even when you don't use Siri) and Apple employees listen to them. I disabled Siri but who knows if that works.". It's the differfence between the little chip that listens for the activation keyphrase not being selective enough (because it's underpowered) and an actual nefarious program of eavesdropping.

Prove the latter, and you can headline the world's largest class-action lawsuit, maybe trigger a nice dip in rare earth metal prices.

Anybody use an insurance provider for coins beyond the coverage included in your homeowner's insurance? Eastern, Collectibles, somebody else?

Banks, for example, are notorious for not paying out for disappearing deposit box contents.

So "Siri being triggered by accident." isn't the same as " Apple uses Siri to record your private conversations (even when you don't use Siri) and Apple employees listen to them. I disabled Siri but who knows if that works.". It's the differfence between the little chip that listens for the activation keyphrase not being selective enough (because it's underpowered) and an actual nefarious program of eavesdropping.

Prove the latter, and you can headline the world's largest class-action lawsuit, maybe trigger a nice dip in rare earth metal prices.

Ok, Apple intentionally continues to allow their devices to accidentally record your most private conversations and lets unvetted low-paid high-turnover contractors listen to them, while recording your location and user data. Apple could easily stop this practice but hasn't. Better?

You cannot opt out, again, intentional. You can only disable Siri, which I did.

It's not huge news everyone loves their Apple products. I think we're getting immune to all these news reports about privacy violations.

The whistleblower said: “There have been countless instances of recordings featuring private discussions between doctors and patients, business deals, seemingly criminal dealings, sexual encounters and so on. These recordings are accompanied by user data showing location, contact details, and app data.

That accompanying information may be used to verify whether a request was successfully dealt with. In its privacy documents, Apple says the Siri data “is not linked to other data that Apple may have from your use of other Apple services”. There is no specific name or identifier attached to a record and no individual recording can be easily linked to other recordings.

Accidental activations led to the receipt of the most sensitive data that was sent to Apple. Although Siri is included on most Apple devices, the contractor highlighted the Apple Watch and the company’s HomePod smart speaker as the most frequent sources of mistaken recordings. “The regularity of accidental triggers on the watch is incredibly high,” they said. “The watch can record some snippets that will be 30 seconds – not that long but you can gather a good idea of what’s going on.”

Sometimes, “you can definitely hear a doctor and patient, talking about the medical history of the patient. Or you’d hear someone, maybe with car engine background noise – you can’t say definitely, but it’s a drug deal … you can definitely hear it happening. And you’d hear, like, people engaging in sexual acts that are accidentally recorded on the pod or the watch.”

The contractor said staff were encouraged to report accidental activations “but only as a technical problem”, with no specific procedures to deal with sensitive recordings. “We’re encouraged to hit targets, and get through work as fast as possible. The only function for reporting what you’re listening to seems to be for technical problems. There’s nothing about reporting the content.”

As well as the discomfort they felt listening to such private information, the contractor said they were motivated to go public about their job because of their fears that such information could be misused. “There’s not much vetting of who works there, and the amount of data that we’re free to look through seems quite broad. It wouldn’t be difficult to identify the person that you’re listening to, especially with accidental triggers – addresses, names and so on.

“Apple is subcontracting out, there’s a high turnover. It’s not like people are being encouraged to have consideration for people’s privacy, or even consider it. If there were someone with nefarious intentions, it wouldn’t be hard to identify [people on the recordings].”

Gold backed down to the 1680 level last week. Today it is back above $1730.

The Fed announced that there likely would be no change in interest rates through 2022. Gold popped right after this announcement.

ETA: And now at $1740.

Last edited:
IMTS in September was cancelled. This is the largest NA industrial tradeshow held biannually in Chicago for 6 straight days and uses all of McCormick for those familiar. My company typically has a $1M budget just for the booth and staffing. We typically do $10M+ in sales at this show. The reason given was Chicago's 5 stage COVID plan will not allow for the show to happen.

I cannot imagine how devastating this one cancelation is to the city and the businesses in the area.

Fabtech is the 2nd largest show, held annually. It moves from Atlanta to Chicago to Las Vegas in a rotation. Its in Las Vegas this year in November and still scheduled. If it happens I guarantee it will have the highest attendance ever due to IMTS being a no go.

IMTS in September was cancelled. This is the largest NA industrial tradeshow held biannually in Chicago for 6 straight days and uses all of McCormick for those familiar. My company typically has a $1M budget just for the booth and staffing. We typically do $10M+ in sales at this show. The reason given was Chicago's 5 stage COVID plan will not allow for the show to happen.

I cannot imagine how devastating this one cancelation is to the city and the businesses in the area.

Fabtech is the 2nd largest show, held annually. It moves from Atlanta to Chicago to Las Vegas in a rotation. Its in Las Vegas this year in November and still scheduled. If it happens I guarantee it will have the highest attendance ever due to IMTS being a no go.

Oops. I thought I was in economic doom thread

Gold backed down to the 1680 level last week. Today it is back above $1730.

The Fed announced that there likely would be no change in interest rates through 2022. Gold popped right after this announcement.

Usually on Fed-speak day, you see the real action the next day, but today was interesting.

Stocks were down a little, while gold, silver and mining stocks were way up. Could be the stock rally is running out of gas.

Back
Top Bottom