• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gold and silver prices are down

Just bought my first 1oz gold eagle.

GOD DAMN TAXES. MFr’s.

All in for an eyelash under $2000 and just hoping it buys me some peace of mind eventually.

I have a retarded excess of firearms currently...my plan is to start selling off some of the guns and ammo I don’t ever plan on utilizing for recreation/competition/home defense and buying more PM’s with the money.

55B17E71-399F-4FBD-86A4-DE5B8D5607AE.jpeg

ETA: I bought a grip of silver about 6 years ago when it was around $14 or $15, so just wanted to diversify the physical PM’s I have on hand.

I know silver is probably the smarter buy still, and will definitely be dumping the majority of my ‘profit’ from firearms sales into silver eagles.

Last edited:

GOD DAMN TAXES. MFr’s.

All in for an eyelash under $2000 and just hoping it buys me some peace of mind eventually.

I have a retarded excess of firearms currently...my plan is to start selling off some of the guns and ammo I don’t ever plan on utilizing for recreation/competition/home defense and buying more PM’s with the money.

View attachment 525877

ETA: I bought a grip of silver about 6 years ago when it was around $14 or $15, so just wanted to diversify the physical PM’s I have on hand.

I know silver is probably the smarter buy still, and will definitely be dumping the majority of my ‘profit’ from firearms sales into silver eagles.

That looks like Ebay, is the vendor charging tax? They should not, no tax on PMs over $1000. Most Ebay vendors do it right.

Thought that was the case as well, id make an inquiry and see about a refund. @76Too
Is that an MA law? I’m in Indiana. I knew I was going to muck this up somehow.

ETA: Apparently I wasn’t supposed to be charged taxes in Indiana either! WTF?

I emailed the seller and asked for a partial refund for the amount of the tax OR a full refund for the full amount paid.

Last edited:

GOD DAMN TAXES. MFr’s.

View attachment 525877

Wu Tang Financial approved this message, diversify yo bonds

View: https://gfycat.com/importantspecificamericancrocodile

Is that an MA law? I’m in Indiana. I knew I was going to muck this up somehow.

ETA: Apparently I wasn’t supposed to be charged taxes in Indiana either! WTF?

I emailed the seller and asked for a partial refund for the amount of the tax OR a full refund for the full amount paid.

Indiana has the same law as Mass.

Indiana has the same law as Mass.

Well THAT was a debacle!

Just spent an hour in panic mode trying to get the tax refunded to no avail. The company bullion exchanges refused to cancel my order without a 10% fee (less than an hour after purchasing).

I called eBay and got them to cancel the entire transaction.

JFC...talk about a bad first experience buying gold.

Soooo...where do you guys buy gold, lol?

Well THAT was a debacle!

Just spent an hour in panic mode trying to get the tax refunded to no avail. The company bullion exchanges refused to cancel my order without a 10% fee (less than an hour after purchasing).

EBay lolz 😂

You could try to buy some from NES members but my guess is none are sellin 🤣

For real though Apmex, Scottsdale Mint, etc are some good ones.

Well THAT was a debacle!

not bullion exchanges. :) Apmex (Ebay or direct), MCM on Ebay (mostly for silver), Scottsdale, there's a few others that are good.

Well THAT was a debacle!

Haha... Bullion exchanges. I just bought from them a couple weeks ago with no issues. But I bought straight from their site not ebay, I try not to give ebay any $$.

Haha... Bullion exchanges. I just bought from them a couple weeks ago with no issues. But I bought straight from their site not ebay, I try not to give ebay any $$.
I was lured in by the $10-$20 cheaper price point vs. web sites and then charged $130+ of non-applicable taxes, lol.

Lesson learned. I will buy direct when the money gets back into my account.

I was lured in by the $10-$20 cheaper price point vs. web sites and then charged $130+ of non-applicable taxes, lol.

I buy from them cause their premiums are usually a little lower. I'll use Ebay to find what I'm looking for then go direct to the sellers website. Basically assume they're gonna pass along all seller fee's to the buyer when purchased on Ebay. Not always the case but some sellers do it. I've actually seen Apmex be lower on Ebay vs their site.

Point is do some research can save some $$. Unfortunately Ebay bucks seems to be waning.

I buy from them cause their premiums are usually a little lower. I'll use Ebay to find what I'm looking for then go direct to the sellers website. Basically assume they're gonna pass along all seller fee's to the buyer when purchased on Ebay. Not always the case but some sellers do it. I've actually seen Apmex be lower on Ebay vs their site.

Point is do some research can save some $$. Unfortunately Ebay bucks seems to be waning.

Yeah I only use Ebay if there's an Ebay Bucks deal. Or if I'm trying to get rid of bucks!

I have had great luck with JM Bullion over numerous purchases. As long as I purchase more than $1,000 worth, they've never pulled any fee or tax stunts. Live and learn.

I've bought from golddealer.com com ( aka California Numismatic Investments} before. They've always been 100% with me. The 1oz Gold American Eagle is $1857.45 right now.

Depending on the timing, I've got gold on sale for as little as $35 over spot

Aren't silver eagle premiums horrendous? I set up a simple spreadsheet once with some popular gold and silver coins. As I recall the ASE premiums were just plain silly when compared to junk silver or regular rounds.

When I was buying, I ended up buying from a few dealers on eBay--Apmex, JM Bullion, MCM, Liberty Coin, maybe some others, too. Free shipping and speedy delivery in addition to lower overall pricing.

I learned about the $1000 limit when I bought a coin for $999.75. Hahahahaha!

coin.jpg

Aren't silver eagle premiums horrendous? I set up a simple spreadsheet once with some popular gold and silver coins. As I recall the ASE premiums were just plain silly when compared to junk silver or regular rounds.

When I was buying, I ended up buying from a few dealers on eBay--Apmex, JM Bullion, MCM, Liberty Coin, maybe some others, too. Free shipping and speedy delivery in addition to lower overall pricing.

I learned about the $1000 limit when I bought a coin for $999.75. Hahahahaha!

View attachment 526214
Assuming you were made to pay taxes on all of that too?

And yes, premiums for ASE’s are absolutely bonkers currently. Spot at $22.49 and a single ASE @ $33.48!?!?!

From my experience JM or SD bullion have been the best of the reputable online dealers. And they will get the taxes right.

I especially like SD bullion because they are all in on metals. They keep all of their assets in metal as their method of protecting themselves from price fluctuations (Rather than hedging themselves by shorting metals like a lot of the other guys).

Assuming you were made to pay taxes on all of that too?

And yes, premiums for ASE’s are absolutely bonkers currently. Spot at $22.49 and a single ASE @ $33.48!?!?!

The US mint that makes them was shut down this summer, that's why premiums are nutty. They're high for any silver though - the paper price is a completely different animal from physical.

The US mint that makes them was shut down this summer, that's why premiums are nutty. They're high for any silver though - the paper price is a completely different animal from physical.
Yeah, I don’t know enough about investing to go the paper route. I don’t know enough about investing to buy physical PM’s either reallly...but I don’t really know where else to turn in this current climate.

Yeah, I don’t know enough about investing to go the paper route. I don’t know enough about investing to buy physical PM’s either reallly...but I don’t really know where else to turn in this current climate.

Paper gold refers to futures contracts, which you'd need a futures account for. I don't recommend something like GLD or SLV, because even though it claims to be backed by physical, it's at least partially backed by derivatives, paper gold or leased gold. And in the fine print they can at any time close the fund and give you your money back at yesterday's price. That's what would happen if gold shot up to $5000 overnight - your GLD shares would be returned to you at $1750/oz and you'd miss out.

But if you want to buy non-physical, you can buy Sprott Gold Trust (PHYS for gold, PSLV for silver), that is backed 1:1 by physical gold/silver at the Canadian Mint. Not backed by derivatives or leased gold like GLD.

I personally like to have some of my physical gold and silver in coins. For me, this is as much a hedge in case the SHTF as well as an inflation hedge. ASE's are going for a lot over spot, but I've noticed much better prices on the Canadian maple leaf coins. I actually think my next purchase of coins, rather than bars, will be Canadian. They are looking to be about $5 less for a one ounce silver coin than the ASE.

I personally like to have some of my physical gold and silver in coins. For me, this is as much a hedge in case the SHTF as well as an inflation hedge. ASE's are going for a lot over spot, but I've noticed much better prices on the Canadian maple leaf coins. I actually think my next purchase of coins, rather than bars, will be Canadian. They are looking to be about $5 less for a one ounce silver coin than the ASE.
Purdiest coin next to the walking liberties and gaudens as well.

Yes, there's no reason to pay a high premium for ASEs, their premiums will return to normal in time. I think any of the major mints are fine, like Europe, Australia, Canada. I have some silver coins from all of those.

I'm not a sophisticated investor. If I was, I'd be rich. In the past, when I was in the chips I'd buy mostly silver. Gold is easier to hide, though--the coins are smaller for the dollar amount they represent. At the risk of being mocked for my lack of sophistication, I'll share my own perspectives. My viewpoint is skewed toward simplicity and flexibility; I view the world through the sights of a 20" single shot.

1) If you don't hold it, you don't own it.
You've never watched American Greed?

2) Some day I may need to sell or barter some of my stash.
It's easier to sell well-known and/or common forms of PM than collectibles or unusual forms. And fractionals (1/2, 1/4, 1/10 oz) may be more practical for sale/barter than full-ounce coins, but the premiums to buy them are higher. Maybe you could use a couple Krugerrands to buy a pickup truck, but you'd only need a 1/10 coin to buy a few tubes of horse dewormer. (Or some silver half-dollars.)

3) I need to insure I'm not being screwed on my purchases.
Check out Fisch testers for gold coins. I bought a set that tests Krugerrands, American Gold Eagles, and older Brittanias. So those are the only gold coins I'd buy. (Also see #2--they are common forms.)

Funny story--my Fisch tester is older. Now, gold Eagles, Krugs, and older Brittanias are 92% pure (22 karat), so for them to include an entire ounce of gold, the coin must weigh MORE than one troy ounce in total. Thing is, in 2013 somebody decided it would be a good idea to raise the purity of Britannias to .9999 (24 karat). Without the extra alloy metal, the coins are lighter. One day I saw the that premiums on 1/10 ozt. were comparable to one-ounce coins so I grabbed some. They were new coins, so they were lighter, and FAILED on my Fisch tester! I had a cow! But some research revealed the weight change and described the impressive security features of the new version, so all was good. My coins were genuine.

Premiums are too high on silver Eagles for me, and silver bars need to be tested with acids and scratching and crap I don't want to mess with. So when I bought silver, I only bought "junk" silver--US coins minted prior to 1965. 90% purity. (Also invested in sterling silver tableware. 92.5% purity.) You can test silver coins with rare earth magnets. Check Youtube. I only bought from reputable dealers but I checked every 90% dime I ever bought.

You can find US silver coin values on coinflation.com. There is a great PM forum at kitco.com including Politics, Survival, and Firearms threads if you sign up for a forum account. Some forums are hidden from non-account holders. No downside--I've never been spammed or anything.

Maybe you're a rich SOB who wants to protect a couple hundred thousand dollars from inflation, or possible hyperinflation. Bars might be more practical for that. And check historical charts. It only took about 30 or 40 years for the Krugerrand I bought in the 80s to become worth what I paid for it.

Or maybe you're prepping. Some guy who lived through a meltdown in his country reported that people who held gold coins didn't fare as well as those who bartered with gold jewelry. I've never lived through a meltdown, but I have to wonder just how badly those people got screwed in their deals. Gold jewelry is a whole 'nuther mess, with karats and maker's marks and fakes and trying to buy it at or under the spot price.

I'm not a sophisticated investor. If I was, I'd be rich. In the past, when I was in the chips I'd buy mostly silver. Gold is easier to hide, though--the coins are smaller for the dollar amount they represent. At the risk of being mocked for my lack of sophistication, I'll share my own perspectives. My viewpoint is skewed toward simplicity and flexibility; I view the world through the sights of a 20" single shot.

1) If you don't hold it, you don't own it.
You've never watched American Greed?

2) Some day I may need to sell or barter some of my stash.
It's easier to sell well-known and/or common forms of PM than collectibles or unusual forms. And fractionals (1/2, 1/4, 1/10 oz) may be more practical for sale/barter than full-ounce coins, but the premiums to buy them are higher. Maybe you could use a couple Krugerrands to buy a pickup truck, but you'd only need a 1/10 coin to buy a few tubes of horse dewormer. (Or some silver half-dollars.)

3) I need to insure I'm not being screwed on my purchases.
Check out Fisch testers for gold coins. I bought a set that tests Krugerrands, American Gold Eagles, and older Brittanias. So those are the only gold coins I'd buy. (Also see #2--they are common forms.)

Funny story--my Fisch tester is older. Now, gold Eagles, Krugs, and older Brittanias are 92% pure (22 karat), so for them to include an entire ounce of gold, the coin must weigh MORE than one troy ounce in total. Thing is, in 2013 somebody decided it would be a good idea to raise the purity of Britannias to .9999 (24 karat). Without the extra alloy metal, the coins are lighter. One day I saw the that premiums on 1/10 ozt. were comparable to one-ounce coins so I grabbed some. They were new coins, so they were lighter, and FAILED on my Fisch tester! I had a cow! But some research revealed the weight change and described the impressive security features of the new version, so all was good. My coins were genuine.

Premiums are too high on silver Eagles for me, and silver bars need to be tested with acids and scratching and crap I don't want to mess with. So when I bought silver, I only bought "junk" silver--US coins minted prior to 1965. 90% purity. (Also invested in sterling silver tableware. 92.5% purity.) You can test silver coins with rare earth magnets. Check Youtube. I only bought from reputable dealers but I checked every 90% dime I ever bought.

You can find US silver coin values on coinflation.com. There is a great PM forum at kitco.com including Politics, Survival, and Firearms threads if you sign up for a forum account. Some forums are hidden from non-account holders. No downside--I've never been spammed or anything.

Maybe you're a rich SOB who wants to protect a couple hundred thousand dollars from inflation, or possible hyperinflation. Bars might be more practical for that. And check historical charts. It only took about 30 or 40 years for the Krugerrand I bought in the 80s to become worth what I paid for it.

Or maybe you're prepping. Some guy who lived through a meltdown in his country reported that people who held gold coins didn't fare as well as those who bartered with gold jewelry. I've never lived through a meltdown, but I have to wonder just how badly those people got screwed in their deals. Gold jewelry is a whole 'nuther mess, with karats and maker's marks and fakes and trying to buy it at or under the spot price.
Excellent post sir! I learn SO much here, I should be paying all you guys🤣

So...I’m really paying attention now and I think some things are starting to make sense to me, finally. Man, I wish I bought more silver when it was $14. I honestly have no idea what I paid for it anymore but it wasn’t much over spot at all (maybe a dollar/ea coin?)

Anyway...if my calculations are correct, the price of Gold (eagles) are only 6% over spot, while Silver (maple leafs) are 18% over spot...making gold the better buy currently, correct?

I'll wait for sales on eBay. If I see a good price I'll use eBay for several reasons. I can use a credit card without an 3% upcharge. I get credit card miles. And I have some level of eBay protection if they order goes sideways.

But I'll also compare to prices on the company's website to make sure they're comparable. Sometimes prices are better when buying direct.

Back
Top Bottom