Gold and silver prices are down

I'll wait for sales on eBay. If I see a good price I'll use eBay for several reasons. I can use a credit card without an 3% upcharge. I get credit card miles. And I have some level of eBay protection if they order goes sideways.

But I'll also compare to prices on the company's website to make sure they're comparable. Sometimes prices are better when buying direct.

the item I purchased was cheaper on their site even with the CC fee, but that was this particular item.

I agree though, I started using eBay to avoid the CC fees.

Thats why it’s so important to shop around from trusted vendors of course.

the item I purchased was cheaper on their site even with the CC fee, but that was this particular item.

I agree though, I started using eBay to avoid the CC fees.

Thats why it’s so important to shop around from trusted vendors of course.

I've been getting best pricing utilizing a direct wire transfer between my bank and the bullion vendor. The only "issue" with this method is that you do have to wait approximately 10 days to 2 weeks to receive your purchase, but it is the cheapest method.

So...I’m really paying attention now and I think some things are starting to make sense to me, finally. Man, I wish I bought more silver when it was $14. I honestly have no idea what I paid for it anymore but it wasn’t much over spot at all (maybe a dollar/ea coin?)

Anyway...if my calculations are correct, the price of Gold (eagles) are only 6% over spot, while Silver (maple leafs) are 18% over spot...making gold the better buy currently, correct?
Hahaha--I remember passing on gold when it was at $350. Made a down payment on a cheap investment property instead. Right before the Barney Frank crash.

If you're a tightwad like me, then yes, the gold seems like a better buy simply because of the lower premium. But as I recall, in my own limited experience, silver always has higher premiums, and if you need to sell in dribs and drabs, you'll likely be able to get much of that premium back.

Hahaha--I remember passing on gold when it was at $350. Made a down payment on a cheap investment property instead. Right before the Barney Frank crash.

If you're a tightwad like me, then yes, the gold seems like a better buy simply because of the lower premium. But as I recall, in my own limited experience, silver always has higher premiums, and if you need to sell in dribs and drabs, you'll likely be able to get much of that premium back.
It makes sense that silver would always be higher percentage wise because of the large discrepancy between the cost of it vs. gold.

my main goal is to just shove whatever I buy into the back of the safe with the other 5 rolls of ASE’s I bought years ago and just leave them there in case I ever need them for currency to buy food or the likes. I hope we never get to that point, and I’d be happy just to be able to ‘forget’ they’re even there like I do with the others. Definitely not looking to turn a profit or anything, but I don’t have a very good feeling about the US dollar in the next year.

The only reason I’m considering a little gold is because I realize there may be a few ‘bigger’ purchases that may have to be made if/when the time comes, and it might be easier to have a few gold pieces mixed in to ‘save the weight’ of the equivalent in silver.

I’m currently weighing between getting either 10 rolls of silver or two 1oz gold coins currently with the money I have stashed from recent sales of crap on eBay...haven’t quite made up my mind since the other day when I tried to buy the gold ASE on eBay and ended up having to cancel the order.

most of my metals holdings are in lead, copper and brass if you catch my drift?

I've been getting best pricing utilizing a direct wire transfer between my bank and the bullion vendor. The only "issue" with this method is that you do have to wait approximately 10 days to 2 weeks to receive your purchase, but it is the cheapest method.

I’ve sent checks in the past to avoid the fee’s, but then I get nervous about the check getting lost.

I’ve bought with crypto before, cause why not.

At some point I just built the premium into the price cause I’m not buying this stuff as an investment for me, it’s for my kids when they get older and I turn into worm food.

Plus since I started investing in 2012 pm’s have done nothing but go up.

It’s a long con for me.

If you're buying gold eagles, get them tested, even if they're slabbed. These are very good fake proof coins in very good fake PCGS slabs.

View attachment 526903

Harry,

Are those both fakes? I'd like to say I'm stunned but I'm not.

I just had my Sigma Metalytics Precious Metals Verifier PRO updated with the latest software. I had bought one early on. Also bought the external gizmo that is good for larger coins and bars. It can do quite a few different precious metals, including gold, silver, platinum and more.

Harry,

Are those both fakes? I'd like to say I'm stunned but I'm not.

I just had my Sigma Metalytics Precious Metals Verifier PRO updated with the latest software. I had bought one early on. Also bought the external gizmo that is good for larger coins and bars. It can do quite a few different precious metals, including gold, silver, platinum and more.
They are both fakes. They failed on a Sigma tester.

Someone tried to sell them to you? Or another dealer?

Those look like damn good fakes.
They were offered to another dealer that I do business with, who is the best I've met in 40+ years in the business at spotting fake gold. He was impressed with the quality of these. He sent me the photo, I haven't seen these in person. Luckily, they do fail on the Sigma, which can test while in the slab.

Without getting too technical, how does the Sigma tester work?

It applies a small current to the coin and measures the resistance, which varies even with different gold alloys. You need to know the dimensions of the coin to calculate density, I think some of the testers measure that as well.

Why not lose a few out the back door and sell to us?

They’d be in the classifieds already by not my division unfortunately!

I watched the video and now I get the purpose vs a Sigma, you can put things like a gold necklace in the analyzer and it measures gold content. That would be difficult with the Sigma cause you can’t easily measure the volume to calculate density. Great for pawn shops!

Wow! It's going to be a silver Christmas at the Win residence. How long do we think silver can stay under $25? As per usual my senses on PMs and the USD are 180 degrees separated from most everyone else's [laugh] . I would have thought that there were 30 trillion question marks around the USD and God's money looked truly transcendent 🤷‍♂️

It applies a small current to the coin and measures the resistance, which varies even with different gold alloys. You need to know the dimensions of the coin to calculate density, I think some of the testers measure that as well.

It has a library of the more common coins, with their characteristics stored and easy to access.

It has a library of the more common coins, with their characteristics stored and easy to access.

Right but I think you will need the measurements of the coin you're measuring to make sure it's not over/undersized to mask the content. I read some of the Sigmas will measure it for you.

Wow! It's going to be a silver Christmas at the Win residence. How long do we think silver can stay under $25? As per usual my senses on PMs and the USD are 180 degrees separated from most everyone else's [laugh] . I would have thought that there were 30 trillion question marks around the USD and God's money looked truly transcendent 🤷‍♂️

Silver miners didn't move much today despite the spot silver breakdown through the key $22 level. I think silver is about washed out, maybe bounce soon.

It's sort of a race to see how low gold and silver can go before the Fed has to capitulate on the taper talk, and the stock market has to accept that inflation isn't transitory. The market is still believing the Fed BS.

I just ordered 50 silver Maple Leafs today from JM Bullion. The price premium is just much more reasonable versus the ASE. Every so often, I keep buying 40 to 50 silver coins. Building the stash for when the dollar goes tits up.

What is everyone's opinion for the direction on price for gold and silver (physical, not paper). I know much depends on how long the Feds can manipulate the financial markets. Once they can no longer do so, I suspect the dollar will tank, interest rates will skyrocket and gold/silver value will head for the moon. I'm just wondering whether I have another year or so to accumulate while physical prices are restrained.

Thoughts??

I ordered from JM today too. I opted for the American Flag silver bars. But was looking a the Maple Leafs, but at almost $2 less per ounce, went with the bars. I do like when they have the sales, get a decent price without having to order higher quantities. Had been buying Silver Krugerrands when they go on sale too.

I just ordered 50 silver Maple Leafs today from JM Bullion. The price premium is just much more reasonable versus the ASE. Every so often, I keep buying 40 to 50 silver coins. Building the stash for when the dollar goes tits up.

What is everyone's opinion for the direction on price for gold and silver (physical, not paper). I know much depends on how long the Feds can manipulate the financial markets. Once they can no longer do so, I suspect the dollar will tank, interest rates will skyrocket and gold/silver value will head for the moon. I'm just wondering whether I have another year or so to accumulate while physical prices are restrained.

Thoughts??

Physical prices are coming down slowly I think as supply slowly improves. However the spot prices have been consolidating for 14 months after the huge runup (silver from $12 to $29 and gold from $1200 to $2100). I think you could get a max of 6 months more consolidating before the next leg up which will probably take silver to $35-40 and gold to $2500. So I'd be buying physical as soon as you can.

Physical prices are coming down slowly I think as supply slowly improves. However the spot prices have been consolidating for 14 months after the huge runup (silver from $12 to $29 and gold from $1200 to $2100). I think you could get a max of 6 months more consolidating before the next leg up which will probably take silver to $35-40 and gold to $2500. So I'd be buying physical as soon as you can.

Most of my physical silver was acquired at the $14 mark, which makes the current price a bit cringe-worthy. However, I understand that current prices are all relative when you consider that the future portends even higher prices. With excellent income coming in right now, I'm trying to buy some regularly.

@RumRunner I understand your bar acquisition over coin right now. As for me, I have bars on hand, but I'm trying to add more coins. If things go sideways, some people may balk at trading bars and be more comfortable with recognized coins.

I suspect the dollar will tank, interest rates will skyrocket and gold/silver value will head for the moon
The dollar will slip slowly. Interest rates are forced low because they cannot pay higher interest. You will see banks charging you to hold your money before interest rates skyrocket. Remember, gold and silver historically are high around Christmas. Unusual activity this year.

I just put a couple 1/2 oz. coins in the classified forum. Wife's winter driver took a dump and I need some quick hunner-dollah bills.

Edit: Sold 'em. Thanks, man.

Last edited:
Interesting article about silver investors.

It's pointing out that SLV, the largest physical silver-backed ETF, has dropped 18% in value this year, but it's holding have only dropped 3%. That means SLV investors are not selling, and SLV is only going down because silver futures are dropping.

So the silver futures market shenanigans are not scaring silver investors one bit. 👍

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom