• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOOD .22 LR?

Garys

NES Member
I took my Model 18 out to the range today to try out. I was using Remington Thunderbolt and while it's OK for some guns, I'm definitely not using it in this beauty again.

Anyone have recommendations for good .22 ammo for this gun?

I've personally had good results with the Federal bulkpack ammo. But for a Model 18 I might spring for some good quality target ammo to see what it could do.

I have had great luck with Aguila Standard velocity(smells funny but consistantly shoots the best in all my 22's)

CCI standard velocity is about the same.

Not far behind is CCI Blazer. (my all time favorite "cheap" ammo).

Federal automatch from walmart seems O.K. Got a bad lot once, Federal replaced it, paid for shipping and threw in some extra, (can't beat that).

I get the first 3 I mentioned at Collectors in Stoneham

If you like something with more speed CCI Minimags and Velocitors are great.

I seem to have the best results with 40 grain bullets.

Thunderbolt is crap. As is Lightning, Zapper and the rest of the "promo" ammo.

The best of the cheap stuff in my experience is the bulk (550 in milk carton) Federal and CCI Blazer; Aquila is also a good value. It's what the CMP sells.

Years ago I had 2 old bricks of Federal Lightning that someone gave me and loved shooting it. It was very accurate in all my .22 rifles, especially my M69 trainers.
I heard the bulk pack Federal thats not copper washed is actually Federal Lighning repackaged. I think its what they refer to as Champion now. There are a few differenttypes of bulk pack federal out there.

As for high end ammo, I know a lot of people that swear by CCI but I like Wolf Match Extra. Its mid level out of their .22lr ammo line and like all 3 types is hard to find and pricey.

The Federal bulk packs have never done me wrong...

When I need standard velocity I used the CMP Aguila Standard velocity (and I agree about the small - what's up with that?)

I'm hooked on CCI Blazer .22lr 40g HV. They group well through all my .22s, rifles and pistol, plus they are resonable in price

Thanks all. I'm likely going to be at the Kittery Trading post today and I'll pick something up. The Thunderbolt will be relegated to my 10/22, since it doesn't seem to care what I shot through it.

I have had good luck with CCI mini-mags .40 grain. I just got 200 more CCI mini mag HP's. When i got home i realized that it was only 36 grain ammo so we'll see how it does.

Walmart Federal Bulk 550 Packs (36 grain) are pretty much junk. I think the only gun i would use it in is my .22LR pump action rifle. That thing will shoot anything.

Last time i was at walmart though, they had some straight lead 40 grain Federal Bulk 325 Packs. I tried this out in my Mosquito and it shot all 325 rounds without one single problem.

I've used plain old green box standard velocity Remington in my 17s and 18s for, er, lots of years; no problems; quite satisfied.

Carl doesn't stock it, but he orders it for me every couple of years.

I've used plain old green box standard velocity Remington in my 17s and 18s for, er, lots of years; no problems; quite satisfied.

You and me both! I still have some vintage stuff from almost 30 years ago when I quit bullseye shooting. I used to buy a case at a time and split it with a shooting buddy. I ran it in my High Standard pistols.

I just got some Aquila from CMP and it runs flawlessly in the S&W 622 that my Wife is shooting.

I use to buy CCI "velocitors", I think they're called? They're supposed to be one of the quickest rounds out there. They're a little more expensive but good for taking out varmints. (for protecting your garden, of course)

Elay Tenex? (^_^)

I've found that you really need to try different stuff and find what your gun likes. I have one .22 pistol that LOVES the Wal-Mart 550 pack and another (same model gun) that can't seem to operate without jamming every 6th mag or so. But, some old Federal I have from my competition days works great in gun #2, but I get lots of misfires in gun #1. My two single shot rifles will eat either all day long.

I would concur that Thunderbolt is poop. MAJOR inconsistency in performance from one round to another. First round goes BANG! Second round goes bang. Third round goes "plip." etc etc etc.

Avoid at all costs. I've had great luck with Winchester Wildcat and of course CCI Mini-Mags...

Here's Remington's lineup of .22 Rimfire

• Subsonic™
    • 22 Subsonic Long Rifle SUB22HP/SUB22HPI+ 38 Hollow Point
  • Standard Velocity/Target
    • 22 Long Rifle 6122/6100+ 40 Lead Round Nose
  • High Velocity Golden™ Bullet
    • 22 Long Rifle 1522/1500+ 40 Plated Lead Round Nose
    • 22 Long Rifle 1622/1600+/1622C++ 36 Plated Hollow Point
    • 22 Short 1022 29 Plated Lead Round Nose
  • Hyper Velocity
    • 22 Yellow Jacket® LR 1722/1700+ 33 Truncated Cone Hollow Point
    • 22 Viper® LR 1922/1900+ 36 Truncated Cone Solid
  • Low Noise
    • CBee Long Rifle CB-22L100 33 Hollow Point
  • Hi-Speed
    • 22 Thunderbolt® LR TB 22A 40 Lead Round Nose
    • 22 Cyclone® LR CY 22HP 36 Hollow Point
    • 22 Game Loads GL 22HP+++ 36 Hollow Point

I wish they made some of the other loads available in the larger count "value packs".

Last edited:
Again, all firearms do prefer different ammo. That being said, I have had great success w/ CCI, all CCI .22 rimfire ammo. For cheaper .22lr, Aguila hyper velocity or
RNL Winchester Wildcats work great. They are not target ammo, but function well and are accurate out of all my .22lr firearms. jp

You and me both! I still have some vintage stuff from almost 30 years ago when I quit bullseye shooting. I used to buy a case at a time and split it with a shooting buddy. I ran it in my High Standard pistols. I just got some Aquila from CMP and it runs flawlessly in the S&W 622 that my Wife is shooting.
Grin, thought I was alone or a relic at best. Still have .22 and .45 in all varieties from when I was shooting with a military team....that was 25+ years ago. Yup it was all bullseye shooting at the time. Now getting back after all this time "for the fun of it" and finding that this ammo still works fine. Am speaking of Win 230 gr. match-grade hardball, TZZ (Israeli) in both 185 and 230, and Olin white box military .22. It all works great. [wink]

One that I have found to be cosistant in most rifles & pistols has been Wichester HVHP. I used CCI green label in bullseye comp.

What are you going to use now that green label's not being made anymore? Do you shoot a Model 41? If so, I'm very interested in your choice, as I'm wondering what I will use in my Model 41.

What are you going to use now that green label's not being made anymore? Do you shoot a Model 41? If so, I'm very interested in your choice, as I'm wondering what I will use in my Model 41.
I no longer shoot bulleye. I still have a few k of CCI, and I have had good luck with PMC std. velocity. They work in my High Standards, and Rugers as well as I can shoot, but spend most of my time now with T/C Contenders in rifle calibers at 2&300 yds.

Wal-Mart sells three types of bulk packs. The Winchester is CRAP - do not touch it. The Federal is great. The Remington is hit or miss.

Gary, what didn't you like about the Thunderbolt in your 18? It seems to lead up my Mod 34s pretty fast, but I use it in my Ruger pistols and rifles with no trouble.

Like Scriv said, the Aguila from the CMP is a good deal, and they ship right to your XXXX, opps, censored for MA AG, in 1000 round lots. Check out the CMP sales dept. www.odcmp.com

Back
Top Bottom