Good Luck To All Those Heading Afield For The MA Shotgun Opener.

High winds and somewhat rainy....great day for a sneak. Except deer are spooky spooky!

Good luck and don't let any trees fall on your head!
I was disappointed we didn't get the nasty weather that was promised. Not a lot of wind, no rain, just fog. I did confirm the remote bedding area as being very active, and very tough to get to. There are so many options for them to travel that it's not worth setting up near it. Laurel everywhere. I'm done hiking until there's snow on the ground, and will do some afternoon sits in a stand that's near one corridor. I'll need a SW wind for it to work though.

20211206_134935.jpg

Last edited:
I was disappointed we didn't get the nasty weather that was promised. Not a lot of wind, no rain, just fog. I did confirm the remote bedding area as being very active, and very tough to get to. There are so many options for them to travel that it's not worth setting up near it. Laurel everywhere. I'm done hiking until there's snow on the ground, and will do some afternoon sits in a stand that's near one corridor. I'll need a SW wind for it to work though.

View attachment 549524
Yeah.....wind didn't really hit til late in the day. Was pretty calm and warm for brush busting. You would have spooked anything out before you could even think of getting a shot.

Snow would help.....but I'm hoping we don't get any. I'm pretty much done with hunting now and the more deer that stay alive for next year, the better. In my area anyway....selfish of me, but it's how I feel. I'd rather bowhunt them.

Yeah.....wind didn't really hit til late in the day. Was pretty calm and warm for brush busting. You would have spooked anything out before you could even think of getting a shot.

Snow would help.....but I'm hoping we don't get any. I'm pretty much done with hunting now and the more deer that stay alive for next year, the better. In my area anyway....selfish of me, but it's how I feel. I'd rather bowhunt them.
I may be done with deer as well. Hunted nh and my boy put a nice buck in the freezer and I helped my brother get his first. Those were my goals. I have ma license and antlerless tags for 9 and 10 but......I think I'm gonna skip ma deer this year ans just go back to nh on weekends with the shotgun for rabbit every now and then. I may not even buy a ma license for 2022. I live on the nh line and have found much better hunting opportunity over the boarder.

I may be done with deer as well. Hunted nh and my boy put a nice buck in the freezer and I helped my brother get his first. Those were my goals. I have ma license and antlerless tags for 9 and 10 but......I think I'm gonna skip ma deer this year ans just go back to nh on weekends with the shotgun for rabbit every now and then. I may not even buy a ma license for 2022. I live on the nh line and have found much better hunting opportunity over the boarder.
There may not be a ton of deer in NH, (just like MA in suburbia there is) but SW NH there isn't a tremendous population, but I think its better than North Central MA. At least the management of the herd is far better than MA. Plus.....Sundays and long archery and a nice timed muzzleloader season is there if you want it.

I enjoy muzzleloader....but not in MA, when the deer have been totally beat to death for 2 weeks of the SG season, then its usually cold as fxck, deer are in the tightest swamps totally noctournal.
No thanks.

Last edited:
There may not be a ton of deer in NH, (just like MA in suburbia there is) but SW NH there isn't a tremendous population, but I think its better than North Central MA. At least the management of the herd is far better than MA. Plus.....Sundays and long archery and a nice timed muzzleloader season is there if you want it.

I enjoy muzzleloader....but not in MA, when the deer have been totally beat to death for 2 weeks of the SG season, then its usually cold as fxck, deer are in the tightest swamps totally noctournal.
No thanks.
Last 2 years we've taken our nh deer during muzzle loader. Opens during the rut so it's perfect.

No thanks.

Best to head to PA for Flintlock season. ;)

Caught the MeatEater episode on that. They pushed a metric BUTT TON of deer. I was shocked there were that many deer on the move in late December. Of course, there are probably 100x more deer per sq-mi in PA than MA. LOL.

Caught the MeatEater episode on that. They pushed a metric BUTT TON of deer. I was shocked there were that many deer on the move in late December. Of course, there are probably 100x more deer per sq-mi in PA than MA. LOL.
Yeah......a ton more. Flintlock would actually be kinda fun.

PA has a week long Muzzleloader doe only season in October that you can use Modern Muzzleloader equipment on as long as you have a doe tag.

My son just landed a job in PA (1/2 year before he got out of college....PROUD) and I'll be hunting there next year for sure. Add to that hes in 5C which is a high deer county with special provisions. I think they give out 70K doe permits in his zone and if you want you can bait because they can't kill enough deer. Still....unlike MA, Antler restrictions and only one buck allowed....as it should be!

Bow and Crossbow be getting a workout next year I think.

Last edited:

That episode was one of my favorites. And they didn't even shoot any deer.😂

I’m going out tomorrow for my first ever hunt in MA. Have only gone in Maine but it’s slim pickins up there.
Fingers crossed.
My dad already got a young buck a couple weeks ago with his crossbow here in Gloucester. He’s trying so hard for me to get one as I’ve had them in my scope over the years but could never confirm if it was a buck.

I’m going out tomorrow for my first ever hunt in MA. Have only gone in Maine but it’s slim pickins up there.
Fingers crossed.
My dad already got a young buck a couple weeks ago with his crossbow here in Gloucester. He’s trying so hard for me to get one as I’ve had them in my scope over the years but could never confirm if it was a buck.
Good luck.

Finally saw six deer walk by me last night just out of comfortable visibility for a shot. But seeing them is nice.
I've hunted states that are managed, NY, PA, KY properly and saw deer every time out. Usually don't shoot unless the freezer is empty, even then one is enough, until maybe a big buck walks by. Seeing them is nice......keeps you in the game.

MA......in my area.....NFW. Lucky I see one or two a week with the same effort I put into those other states.

I understand there are parts of MA that you can get on deer every day......but that is due to lack of hunter access and not management. MA Fxcks and Wankers management goal is the same as the insurance companies...... 0 deer = 0 claims. And don't think for a second the insurance lobby doesn't have their hat in the ring.

I've hunted states that are managed, NY, PA, KY properly and saw deer every time out. Usually don't shoot unless the freezer is empty, even then one is enough, until maybe a big buck walks by. Seeing them is nice......keeps you in the game.

MA......in my area.....NFW. Lucky I see one or two a week with the same effort I put into those other states.

I understand there are parts of MA that you can get on deer every day......but that is due to lack of hunter access and not management. MA Fxcks and Wankers management goal is the same as the insurance companies...... 0 deer = 0 claims. And don't think for a second the insurance lobby doesn't have their hat in the ring.
100% Central mass deer population is not good there has been years I have spent 100 hours in the field and only seen 1 or 2 deer. I like to think I am a fairly good hunter but I just believe there isn't that many deer.
Also doesn't help guys with zone 10 doe tags shooting them out here and the brown its down crew shooting everything and anything. Would love to travel to a state that has a ton of deer Ohio Missouri Kentucky would be so cool to just see a lot of deer. I don't blame guys for shooting young deer or doe's especially when its the only thing you see all season and need some meat. If the herd was managed better and you saw more deer guys wouldn't shoot 70lb deer.

Yeah......a ton more. Flintlock would actually be kinda fun.

PA has a week long Muzzleloader doe only season in October that you can use Modern Muzzleloader equipment on as long as you have a doe tag.

My son just landed a job in PA (1/2 year before he got out of college....PROUD) and I'll be hunting there next year for sure. Add to that hes in 5C which is a high deer county with special provisions. I think they give out 70K doe permits in his zone and if you want you can bait because they can't kill enough deer. Still....unlike MA, Antler restrictions and only one buck allowed....as it should be!

Bow and Crossbow be getting a workout next year I think.
I wish Mass would do the same with seperate seasons like PA. It could be a lot of fun. PA knows how to manage a deer herd with hunters in mind.

Congrats to your son.
100% Central mass deer population is not good there has been years I have spent 100 hours in the field and only seen 1 or 2 deer. I like to think I am a fairly good hunter but I just believe there isn't that many deer.
Also doesn't help guys with zone 10 doe tags shooting them out here and the brown its down crew shooting everything and anything. Would love to travel to a state that has a ton of deer Ohio Missouri Kentucky would be so cool to just see a lot of deer. I don't blame guys for shooting young deer or doe's especially when its the only thing you see all season and need some meat. If the herd was managed better and you saw more deer guys wouldn't shoot 70lb deer.

I jokingly refer to them as “anyzone tags”. The current system is a joke and unenforceable. It is sad to see the deer herd getting decimated.

Bob

I don't blame guys for shooting young deer or doe's especially when its the only thing you see all season and need some meat. If the herd was managed better and you saw more deer guys wouldn't shoot 70lb deer.
I can't say I blame them either, I did so myself in Archery with a 120 spike that I would never have shot in a million years if I was hunting CT,or other states this year..........but I haven't shot a MA deer in 4 years...........still....it doesn't help. The general thought of most groups of shotgun guys is brown is down. That needs to go away and the state needs to step in and cut out doe permits go to 1 buck tag, and put in antler restrictions.

Most MA hunters will not self regulate because if the deer is legal, they will feel someone else will shoot it. In most cases, they are right. Some other jughead will. Only with state restrictions will it work, (except for shxthead night poachers and tag traders)

Ive hunted several other states.....taking a doe is almost a joke. There is no big deal in it, there is no fanfare. Its meat....if you want it. Many guys don't bother, as they want a legal or big buck. and in these deer loaded states...there still is only one buck tag allowed. Go figure. It makes guys way more selective.

For some reason, MA guys get all excited buying as many permits as they can and kill as many does as they can.....many of these tags go unfilled.....never understood it, never will. If your not filling a doe tag fairly easily......well you gotta think, maybe I shouldn't be shooting does? Again, this rationale is Central/West only. The eastern part of the state, there is sanctuary both in being too close to houses, and also full of anti hunter retards. So deer will thrive there if not on public land.

Last edited:
I wish Mass would do the same with seperate seasons like PA. It could be a lot of fun. PA knows how to manage a deer herd with hunters in mind.

Congrats to your son.

I jokingly refer to them as “anyzone tags”. The current system is a joke and unenforceable. It is sad to see the deer herd getting decimated.

Bob
Thanks! He still has 1/2 year to graduate, but really happy he got a job already with good pay, benefits, and sign on bonus starting this summer. Pressure is off for him and he can finish school knowing it worked out for him (and us) well.

Single shot out behind my house around 9 this am. Someone got something. I never see a damned thing. Maybe 100 deer seen in 27 years. One single fork buck.

Single shot out behind my house around 9 this am. Someone got something. I never see a damned thing. Maybe 100 deer seen in 27 years. One single fork buck.
I was outside all morning and afternoon splitting wood. Thousands of acres of state land across, behind and to both sides of my house. Not a frickin shot heard anywhere around. Really quiet.
It wasn't even that rainy til about noon, then it let up for the afternoon. I came back out til dark....still not a shot. Gets quieter and quieter every year.

Got this one 10 minutes before dawn on Saturday... 10 yard shot with a 12 guage.... Ugh...the hole in the pelt is rather large! I tried to report it on-line Saturday night...but my account is messed up! It doesn't show ANY of my 2021 permits/licenses! !$#!@#$@#$ :(

Attachments

• MP-Coyote-121121b1.jpg
    MP-Coyote-121121b1.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 14
I was outside all morning and afternoon splitting wood. Thousands of acres of state land across, behind and to both sides of my house. Not a frickin shot heard anywhere around. Really quiet.
It wasn't even that rainy til about noon, then it let up for the afternoon. I came back out til dark....still not a shot. Gets quieter and quieter every year.

I guess it depends. A client of mine was chasing one deer during archery season. He spooked him first-thing that morning as he was getting to his stand. He was pissed. He said, literally about 10 min after legal light a doe comes under his stand and this HUGE 9-pt comes up. He sent me pix. He had never noticed the deer in his cams before. He took them. Posted the pix on FB, I guess and about 8 guys bitched that that was "their deer" and "that's no fair." ROFL!!

He went back in his old cameras and the deer was there. He was chasing another buck so never really noticed it.

He said in the middle of hte state, there is a LOT of deer. Around me (Taunton), I haven't seen a whole lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom