Good match, except for that one stage...

allen-1

NES Member
I shot a USPSA match yesterday. It was cool for down here, 73 degrees and attendance was light. We had 29 shooters instead of our usual 45 or so. So we only built 5 stages, including one classifier.

Four of the five stages went well for me. I made a plan and shot it. Hit factors ranging from 5.3 to 7.2.

The fourth stage I shot should have trashed my score for the day. You started back in the bay, with your ammo on barrels about half way down the stage and pistol holstered. Buzzer goes, you move forward, (past some targets), load and then move around the shooting area engaging targets. I managed to double-feed on my initial load, so had to drop the mag, rack it and reload. And as one of my friends watching said "I saw the bad load, and then your plan went to hell". Pretty much. I moved through the pattern I'd planned, but forgot to stop, turn backwards and engage a target. So, a fumbled five(?) seconds to start with, and 2 mikes. Yuck.

Put it behind me and ran the next stage just fine.

Looked online yesterday afternoon - and there were only four stages listed. Huh? Turns out that one squad didn't read the stage brief. They started with ammo on their belts, and the stage was torn down before anyone noticed this. Which is a significant advantage - and the stage was thrown out.

I've been shooting a Carry Optic for Steel Challenge the last couple of months, and I'm now shooting the same gun in USPSA and IDPA. Trijicon's SRO is simply amazing. The difference between the field of view on it and their RMR is a game changer for competition.

And with the optic, I'm not missing shots, and I'm shooting faster.

1600612308524.png

Tell me how to read these results. What does "%" relate to? Stage pts? Pts? HF? The A,B,C,D,M? What is the number that means the most?

Tell me how to read these results. What does "%" relate to? Stage pts? Pts? HF? The A,B,C,D,M? What is the number that means the most?

I'm learning how to read these results. @Supermoto could probably explain better.

For me, right now, HF is the number I'm looking at. Number of points divided by the time it took to achieve them.

Since I'm shooting minor powerfactor, A zone is worth 5, C Zone is worth 2, D Zone is worth 1.

1600635182706.png

Possible points on stage one was 85, because there were 17 targets, (couple of steels in there).
I shot 17 Alphas, but somehow got 67.05 % which I don't understand.
I do understand my hit factor, which is 85 points divided by 15.81 seconds, or 5.3763 points scored per second.

I love USPSA scoring. Yes, it is more complicated than IDPA's time plus system, but there is so much more information available. You can use that information to direct where you need to focus your training.

HF is unique to each stage, and is only useful when compared to the high HF for that stage (the stage winner)

If you are focusing on shooting accuracy, stage 1 was great with all Alphas (17 A's, the center of the targets) your accuracy is very good throughout the match

If you are focusing on speed, you need to compare your total match time to others, as well as your time on each stage compared to stage winners. (This information is not available on your screenshot, but is within the rest of the published scores)

The % column actually tells us more information. It is your HF / stage winners HF. For example, stage 3 was your best performance, you performed 74% as well as the person who won that stage.

Stage points is just that, how many points you received on that stage towards the total match score. This is not how many points you shot on targets, (that is the 'pts' column). Stage points is based off of the stage winner, he receives 100% of that stages available points. Stage 4 with 24 rounds required will have a value of 120 points, the winner gets all 120. Your HF is 65.55% of the stage winner's, so you get 78.661 points towards your match total.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom