Good Samaritan Shot - What was a Right Way?

MaverickNH

NES Member
Sometimes the news gives us good tactical training exercises like the below to consider. This was the wrong way to be a Good Samaritan it seems - what would have been a right way? This is a service/industrial area in Salem off I93. From having worked right there in the past, it’s a seemly safe place to be but quite deserted on a Saturday evening. An odd place to spring an ambush, or just a crime of opportunity?

I might have:

1. Put headlights on the man, emergency blinkers on.
2. Dialed 911 as I emerged with my vehicle trauma kit Headrest Emergency Deployment Rig (HEDR) Trauma Kit
3. Observed the man and held my distance
4. Shouted from distance - are you OK, do you need help?

We’re not sure how it transpired from there - was the downed man unresponsive until the Samaritan knelt down to check him? Did the mugger suddenly grab the Samaritan and pull a blade? Did the perp leap up and run at the Samaritan? We’re there any clues to start those Spider-senses tingling?

Good Samaritan shot during altercation in Salem, police say

SALEM, N.H. —

The incident happened about 7 p.m. Saturday on Northwestern Drive. The driver said he stopped to check on a man lying in the middle of the road to see if he needed help. He “stopped as a good Samaritan to check on the person,” said Salem Police Capt. Joel Dolan.

Dolan said the man then pulled out a razor or box-cutter and told him to hand over his wallet. “It's Christmas season for everyone. He certainly was not happy with what the contents of the wallet were and asked if there was anything else of value in the vehicle,” Dolan said.

Dolan said an altercation took place once both men were inside the car, and the driver was shot in the hand. “Once they (were) in the vehicle, a wrestling match (took) place,” Dolan said. “At some point, a firearm (was) fired, as the victim had an obvious wound to his left index finger from a firearm.”

Police searched the area for the robber but were unable to find him. “We are still looking for him,” Dolan said. “All we have is described as a male wearing a black puffy jacket, black hoodie, black gloves and a ski mask."

I’m not a cop. I’m also not a paramedic. Let those guys be ‘Good Samaritans.”

I have a phone. I’d just use it and get on with my life.

Sounds like either an ambush or the whole story is BS and the "good Samaritan" needed an excuse for checking into the hospital with a GSW.

Sometimes the news gives us good tactical training exercises like the below to consider. This was the wrong way to be a Good Samaritan it seems - what would have been a right way? This is a service/industrial area in Salem off I93. From having worked right there in the past, it’s a seemly safe place to be but quite deserted on a Saturday evening. An odd place to spring an ambush, or just a crime of opportunity?

I might have:

1. Put headlights on the man, emergency blinkers on.
2. Dialed 911 as I emerged with my vehicle trauma kit Headrest Emergency Deployment Rig (HEDR) Trauma Kit
3. Observed the man and held my distance
4. Shouted from distance - are you OK, do you need help?

We’re not sure how it transpired from there - was the downed man unresponsive until the Samaritan knelt down to check him? Did the mugger suddenly grab the Samaritan and pull a blade? Did the perp leap up and run at the Samaritan? We’re there any clues to start those Spider-senses tingling?

Good Samaritan shot during altercation in Salem, police say

SALEM, N.H. —

The incident happened about 7 p.m. Saturday on Northwestern Drive. The driver said he stopped to check on a man lying in the middle of the road to see if he needed help. He “stopped as a good Samaritan to check on the person,” said Salem Police Capt. Joel Dolan.

Dolan said the man then pulled out a razor or box-cutter and told him to hand over his wallet. “It's Christmas season for everyone. He certainly was not happy with what the contents of the wallet were and asked if there was anything else of value in the vehicle,” Dolan said.

Dolan said an altercation took place once both men were inside the car, and the driver was shot in the hand. “Once they (were) in the vehicle, a wrestling match (took) place,” Dolan said. “At some point, a firearm (was) fired, as the victim had an obvious wound to his left index finger from a firearm.”

Police searched the area for the robber but were unable to find him. “We are still looking for him,” Dolan said. “All we have is described as a male wearing a black puffy jacket, black hoodie, black gloves and a ski mask."
Can you explain why this HEDR rig is $175? Is this something your average person can put to good use.
Has there been any other det ails on this event?

Can you explain why this HEDR rig is $175? Is this something your average person can put to good use.
Has there been any other det ails on this event?

Contents (largely). Gen 7 CAT, quick clotting agents, etc. All not inexpensive individually. No idea if the kit is a good deal though—didn’t run the numbers myself

Back
Top Bottom