Good scope for a PTR 91?

Depends on what you want to do I guess.
I would go with maybe a small 4 or 6x fixed . I feel the PTR is a bit top heavy as it is adding scope and rings adds to it.
Something compact and low

Not sure what Hensoldt Z24s are going for these days, but I think that's the correct optic. Might be as much as the rifle itself these days though.
They are $$$ as they have become scarce. Just bought a Hensoldt 2nd model, predecessor of the Z24 along with the correct claw mount, to go onto the HK41 I'm eying.

I picked up a PTR 91. This one has a rail welded to the top. Any suggestions for an appropriate scope for a 308 battle rifle clone?

Define "clone."

As mentioned, the HK G3 had the Z24:

HENSOLDT Z-24 OPTIC KIT, EXCELLENT

And the Swedish Ak4 has (big shocker here) an Aimpoint Comp M5 with magnifier:

POTD: Swedish Airborne Rangers with Ak4D by Spuhr -

7.62x51 battle rifles tend to work best with lower magnification optics. I wouldn't go with just a red dot because the point of these guns is to hit targets at 200, 300, 400 yards/meters, not clear rooms or make fast hits. However, they aren't as precise as a DMR unless you do some expensive modification.

Unpopular opinion: shoot the thing for a while with irons to see what kind of group it can hold before putting a fancy optic on it. Just saying.
Which seems to be the way I am going for the moment. Groups pretty well! My challenge is I am old, and my eyes don't work so well anymore, so the idea of hitting a target at 300 yards or more seems absurd using iron sights. Hence the scope thought. (300 yards - corrected)

Last edited:
Which seems to be the way I am going for the moment. Groups pretty well! My challenge is I am old, and my eyes don't work so well anymore, so the idea of hitting a target at 30 yards or more seems absurd using iron sights. Hence the scope thought.

The hk diopter (sp?) sights are some of my favorite.

Which seems to be the way I am going for the moment. Groups pretty well! My challenge is I am old, and my eyes don't work so well anymore, so the idea of hitting a target at 30 yards or more seems absurd using iron sights. Hence the scope thought.
Depends on your target size, shoot at the largest black bull you can see. ?

ZxvTnKq.jpg

Back
Top Bottom