Got my instructor ID from NRA, what do I do next?

depicts

Army Veteran
NES Member
I got my NRA certificate for my Instuctors Course in Home Safety and Basic Pistol.

What do I do next to get approved by the State Police to get to sign off on new shooters?

Where do I get the certificates?

Is there a FAQ or "Instructors for dummies" book out there that can help?

Thanks

Bill

Here is how to get your MA BFS certification.

3.04: Firearms Safety Instructors Certification
(1) Requirements: For certification as a firearms safety instructor, a person shall be properly licensed with a FID card or LTC as required by law, and may only offer instructions on those firearms for which he is licensed. In addition BFS instructors shall provide documentation to verify status as at least one of the following:
(a) a firearms instructor of the NRA, or other nationally recognized organization that teaches firearms safety, or a firearms instructor certified by such organization;
(b) a federal, state or municipal law enforcement firearms instructor;
(c) a United States military firearms instructor;
(d) a DLE basic hunter education instructor;
(e) a firearms instructor of the MCJTC, or a firearms instructor certified by the MCJTC;
(f) a firearms instructor of afirearms manufacturer or its academy, or a firearms instructor certified by such academy; or
(g) any other person, in the discretion of the Colonel, competent to give instruction in a BFS course, which may include any person who operates a firearms safety course or program as described in G.L. c. 140, § 131P(b).
(2)Application.: An application for certification as a BFS instructor can be obtained by writing to the Department of State Police, Licensing Unit, 470 Worcester Road, Framingham, MA 01702. Upon filling out the application and submitting the application fee, as set forth in the application, and required documentation, the package can be mailed or delivered to the same address. The Colonel may require additional verifying information as deemed necessary before issuing certification. Certification or non-approval will be mailed to the applicant.
(3) Instructor Certification:Certification as a firearms safety instructor shall be valid for a period of ten years, unless sooner revoked because of unsuitability, in the discretion of the Colonel. Each BFS Instructor's Certificate shall be on a form prescribed by the Colonel and shall be designated a unique number.
(4) Certified Instructor Obligation: Instructors shall forward information regarding students who successfully complete an instructor's BFS course, on a form prescribed by the Colonel to:
The Department of State Police, Firearm Licensing Unit, 470 Worcester Road, Framingham, MA 01702

and the GOAL web page has instructor support http://www.thegoalfoundation.org/instructorsupport.html

Good Luck

To get your MSP credentials, you fill out a 1-page form and send it, along with a copy of your current NRA instructor credentials and $50, to the State Police. They'll send you an instructor certificate with your instructor number, good for 10 years. Then you print up your own student certificates, using their template. Here's a copy of the application form, a blank certificate template, and the report form that you send to the state police after each course you teach. (The last two are also available at the GOAL site referenced above.)

Ken

Ken, I have Fillable PDF copies of the Cert and Report that work awesome. Inbound to your email and available to anyone who PM's me with an email address.

-Rick

Rick, I'd love to teach with you on Oct 1. I still don't have a closing date on my house, and we've been waiting day by day for news, but as long as I am not moving on that day I'd love to work with you.

I'll give you a call later tonight after work.

Thank Rick.

What is the renewal process when your 10 years are up? Do you need to show that you have taught people to renew?

What is the renewal process when your 10 years are up? Do you need to show that you have taught people to renew?

You send in a very simple application and a $10 check. It takes a few weeks because the MSP runs a background check before reissuing, and then a renewal cert is mailed. You get to keep the same number (so I didn't lose #007 (actually BFS007) on renewal).

Thanks Bob. I am thinking of doing it just to do it. Not sure if I have any intention of actually teaching any courses.

Thanks Bob. I am thinking of doing it just to do it. Not sure if I have any intention of actually teaching any courses.

With regards to NRA Certification as an Instructor one of the terms of continued Certification is teaching at least one class in each discipline group each year.

I just got my instructor creds this week. How do I sign up for this discount with Brownells?

Sign up for an on-line account, then email colleen.fisher (at) brownells.com with your Brownell's login ID and NRA instructo # with your request.

Their web site does not appear to contain any reference to the existence of this second pricing level until you are approved for it, after which the regular and discount prices (if any, not all items are discounted) are displayed once you are logged in.

From a Brownell's email:

Rob

We appreciate your interest in Brownells. We do offer discount pricing for customers that meet one of the following qualifications.

FFL license
Active/retired law enforcement
Active/retired military
Veterans
NRA Instructors
Range Officers(RSO)
4-H leaders
Business License
Tax Permit
Resale certificate

We do offer an option to set up an account on our Brownells web site www.brownells.com. There you can set up your on line account at your leisure, you can also contact our Call Center to set up your account at (800)741-0015.

Back
Top Bottom