• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got my NH Res permit today..

I applied for it July 30th and they told my to come back in two weeks to pick it up. I look at the date of issue and it was Aug 7th, so it really only took them a week. You got to live this state, there was no finger prints or photos, just fill out this app and come back to pick up your lic. For $10 you don't get much of a lic, it's just a flimsy piece of paper, you people paying $100 of your none res permit at least get a nice plastic one. But o well I guess I will just have to live with it. Now I just need to find some money to buy my first non MA approved gun, there are just so many to chose from.

Congrats on being FREE!!! [cheers] Can you laminate your "flimsy piece of paper"? Go get some nice new Glocks, H&Ks, and xDs, just make sure to post pics and rub 'em in our face! (meh, maybe not... [wink])

I really need to get mine … everytime I sit down to think about it, I look at that section where they ask for personal references and I end up giving myself angina trying to decide who I want knowing that I have a concealed carry permit.

I have my NH non res LTC also. Does that mean I can buy guns there even though I live in RI?

NO! The OP stated he received his RESIDENT permit......

correction dagwag is correct. I assumed you meant walk into a shop in NH and walk out with a gun. That is something reserved for us NH residents.

Last edited:
I have my NH non res LTC also. Does that mean I can buy guns there even though I live in RI?

You can buy guns in NH from a dealer but remember they have to be sent to a FFL in your home state. Make sure you get a copy of your home FFL dealer and make sure its OK with them before you go shopping. (long guns you don't need to have shipped, just file FA-10 when you're back in MA within time frame - just make sure theyre MA AWB compliant!)

Last edited:
I applied for it July 30th and they told my to come back in two weeks to pick it up. I look at the date of issue and it was Aug 7th, so it really only took them a week. You got to live this state, there was no finger prints or photos, just fill out this app and come back to pick up your lic. For $10 you don't get much of a lic, it's just a flimsy piece of paper, you people paying $100 of your none res permit at least get a nice plastic one. But o well I guess I will just have to live with it. Now I just need to find some money to buy my first non MA approved gun, there are just so many to chose from.

I would give congrats, but you already learned there is no need to since NH is a shall issue state. There is no finger crossing hoping you don't get restrictions or deemed 'unsuitable". If you have a clean criminal record, you get the permit, it really is that simple.

Funny that you said it only took them a week to issue. I dropped my last app off first thing in the morning, and got a call around lunchtime that I could come pick it up.

Congrats on being FREE!!! [cheers] Can you laminate your "flimsy piece of paper"? Go get some nice new Glocks, H&Ks, and xDs, just make sure to post pics and rub 'em in our face! (meh, maybe not... [wink])

To hell with Glocks, H&Ks and all that other stuff. Go get yourself a Kimber or a Springfield Armory.
BTW, you know you could have gotten them before you had that 'flimsy piece of paper', right?

BearArms said:

Originally Posted by dagwag77
You can buy guns in NH from a dealer but remember they have to be sent to a FFL in your home state. Make sure you get a copy of your home FFL dealer and make sure its OK with them before you go shopping. (long guns you don't need to have shipped, just file FA-10 when you're back in MA within time frame - just make sure theyre MA AWB compliant!)
One of these things is not like the other.

OP: I scanned, shrunk to credit card size, and laminated my License, then tucked my original away in a safe place. Works much better. After a while, if you carry the actual paper original, it starts to look like a 17th century pirate's treasure map.

I really need to get mine … everytime I sit down to think about it, I look at that section where they ask for personal references and I end up giving myself angina trying to decide who I want knowing that I have a concealed carry permit.

They never called my references, I picked ones who know I shoot and shoot themselves.

Beg to differ, the Merrimack PD told me I can not laminate the flimsy LTC and if it becomes illegible they will replace it.

I am still curios about that, since the law does not specifically say that you must have the license on you (not just have it in general). I might be wrong though...

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/159/159-mrg.htm

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

Beg to differ, the Merrimack PD told me I can not laminate the flimsy LTC and if it becomes illegible they will replace it.
The police are the last people you want to ask about legalities. Through malice or negligence, they are, more often than not, uninformed. Perhaps they (or you) could point to the section in the RSA's that prohibits that? The RSA's don't even require you to have it on your person, so how could a photocopy be somehow prohibited?

Mine also were never contacted.

I hven't done it myself but I have seen people photocopy the "flimsy piece of paper" and size it down to wallet size then laminate that.

^ This. That license is for CCing a pistol/revolver. You don't need one for owning or purchasing in NH. Or OCing, for that matter.

(and here I'll put the inevitable reminder that possessing a loaded handgun in a car counts as carrying concealed in NH; and that NH law flat out forbids possession of a loaded long gun in a vehicle, except for some very limited exceptions)

Got my Non-Resident permit today. 4 months and 13 days after sending it in.

Back
Top Bottom