• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got my NRA basic pistol instructor cert

Congratulations.

Another member was recently asking about "how" to become certified as an instructor.

Since I don't think NES runs much of a "trending" algorithm, I hope this means there is swing of increasing INTEREST in shooting activities by the public.

Um, you may want to edit your location. It might attract some students but scare off others!

Basic pistol can be nerve racking, it requires live fire, meaning your insurance risk factor as the instructor may jump. there are companies friendly to this type of liability insurance.

But that is one of the things i always had in the back of my mind when running those classes.

Not too mention finding a range that will allow you to do this as an instructor on your own not through the club. If you can do it at your own home, good for you, but now remember your home owners insurance.....

if you know a shop near you they may use you as an instructor and that allows you to get your feet wet teaching without having to worry about the above business decisions in the same way.

The insurance issue can depend on how you offer classes. For example, my homeowners covers my volunteer activities and my club's insurance covers persons acting on behalf of the club. If I accept payment, I am no longer a volunteer and may not be considered "acting on behalf of the club". It's not worth it to try to get short money and also have to deal with insurance, so any of my teaching activities at the club are unpaid and all money goes to the club.

Our chief instructor at Hopkinton Sportsmens runs the NRA Basic Pistol class on a regular basis, and he and I both do RI qualifications. We do this for the club and the cause and do not take any payment. In my case, this keeps me insured.

Congratulations.

While your BIT is current- go for the instructor cert for the NRA Home Safety course. Instead of eight hour pistol class with range time, can, if so inclined offer a four hour class, no live fire. Students still gets to apply/receive MA LTC with this certification. (Not my preference, but the State Of MA says it’s OK.)

Congratulations.

While your BIT is current- go for the instructor cert for the NRA Home Safety course. Instead of eight hour pistol class with range time, can, if so inclined offer a four hour class, no live fire. Students still gets to apply/receive MA LTC with this certification. (Not my preference, but the State Of MA says it’s OK.)
Smart move.

Congratulations.

Hmm, that's some smart thinking.

Now what do I need to qualify as an RI and CT CCW instructor?
No additional certs - the NRA one is accepted.

There is no such thing as a "RI Instructior", but an NRA instructor can sign off on a RI applicant's range test (you will need Arml-L a/k/a B22 targets and a 25 yard range to administer the test)

CT does not require a specific instructor cert (NRA will do), but the class must include live fire.

No additional certs - the NRA one is accepted.

There is no such thing as a "RI Instructior", but an NRA instructor can sign off on a RI applicant's range test (you will need Arml-L a/k/a B22 targets and a 25 yard range to administer the test)

CT does not require a specific instructor cert (NRA will do), but the class must include live fire.

It needs to be NRA Pistol Cert to be able to sign off on the RI qual, although OP already has that.

I second the Home Firearms Safety cert, it's a simpler, shorter class that doesn't require live fire although I'm not sure if they're changing the MA licensing requirements with new legislation that passes.

Sorry, skipped a step on the Home Safety Class - you'll need to take the class as a student, then can take the instructors class.

Pretty sure as an NRA instructor you can also run/instruct, in your certified discipline(s) without additional certification, an NRA Woman on Target class. If you login to the instructors portal you should be able to grab the WOT PowerPoint deck. The NRA has the portal pretty well locked down to allow you to access only the material your certifications are allowed to instruct.

If you can find a WOT program to assist at, you will gain a ton of experience working with absolute newbies. In my experience the chief instructors of WOT programs are not very welcoming of outsiders and jealously guard their programs - which is their prerogative.

Sorry, skipped a step on the Home Safety Class - you'll need to take the class as a student, then can take the instructors class.

Pretty sure as an NRA instructor you can also run/instruct, in your certified discipline(s) without additional certification, an NRA Woman on Target class. If you login to the instructors portal you should be able to grab the WOT PowerPoint deck. The NRA has the portal pretty well locked down to allow you to access only the material your certifications are allowed to instruct.

If you can find a WOT program to assist at, you will gain a ton of experience working with absolute newbies. In my experience the chief instructors of WOT programs are not very welcoming of outsiders and jealously guard their programs - which is their prerogative.
Yes, you can. There's also supposed to be CommunityShield training, but I emailed them and got nothing back.

BHFS does not grant you WOT access. You need pistol, rifle or shotgun cert.

ask me how I know.. :(

Back
Top Bottom