• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got one of my holy grails

Congrats! I love my 1986 stainless 6" Python. If I had to sell any of my firearms, this one will be the last to go.

I have an 80's production 4" bright stainless with the Colt medallion rubber grips, it's one of the crown jewels in my collection.
I remember paying $900 for it (used) back in the late 90's. Sweet gun.
I haven't fired it in ages, but I developed a pretty clean-burning 158 grain jacketed load for it. I never shot lead rounds from it, didn't want to get it dirty.

My grail revolver is a old production 8" (blued) model. My father had one but sold it either in the late 80's or early 90's. I'd LOVE to get one just like it. Sadly, I cannot afford to spend the thousands it would take at this time.

+1 …but I mine was at close to market value.

Price adjusted for inflation, the new Pythons are actually about 25% cheaper than the old ones.
I just checked the 1987 edition of Gun Digest, the MSRP of a bright stainless Python was $786 back then.
The inflation calculator shows $786 in 1987 dollars was equal to $2024 in 2022 dollars.
Since the new Python is in the $1500 range, it's 25% cheaper now by comparison.
But we all know the new ones are NOT equal to the old ones because they don't have the same level of labor intensive hand-fitting by skilled craftsmen.

Price adjusted for inflation, the new Pythons are actually about 25% cheaper than the old ones.
I just checked the 1987 edition of Gun Digest, the MSRP of a bright stainless Python was $786 back then.
The inflation calculator shows $786 in 1987 dollars was equal to $2024 in 2022 dollars.
But we all know the new ones are NOT equal to the old ones because they don't have the same level of labor intensive hand-fitting by skilled craftsmen.

Thanks for the math, it’s somewhat comforting I guess. Last I checked, they’re not making 1980’s Pythons any more —

Nothing special really, just something I’ve always liked since I was a young lad back in the 80’s. Had an unexpected windfall and said “f*** it.”
I've wanted one for decades as well. Came awfully close on a pristine vintage blued one back in the summer of 2019, but ended up a couple hundred short (on a $2,200 firm asking price). Close, but no cigar. Recently, as street prices have dropped on the new version, I've thought about it seriously again. But it's just not the same for me. In the end, I opted to take that excess G&A money and pay down bills. Yes, boring... but I don't want to kick in loads of debt. 🤔

New pythons are in the 1300 dollar range now.

I always wanted a 6" one from reading Mack Bolan books in my teens. But I am a confirmed semi-auto guy now.
For a long time revolvers had very little appeal to me. As I've gotten older (and maybe a wee bit wiser) I've become drawn to them as well. I'm NOT giving up my semi-auto pistols though. As I mentioned earlier, getting the original generation Python like the one my father had is for more sentimental reasons than anything else.

Currently I have two wheel guns. A Ruger GP100 (blue finish, ~4" barrel) and now as new production Anaconda (6" barrel). Thinking about sending the Anaconda out to get the barrel ported so that it's easier to control with magnum loads.

sweet! the ultimate stainless versions clean up well...

the new pythons have caused a bit of a drop in old python pricing. Not quite the same as the older version though. I always wanted one in the the colt guard finish ( a matte grey electroless nickel).

Back
Top Bottom