• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

GOVERNOR OF TEXAS declares that his state is a Second Amendment ‘sanctuary statel’

The fact is all of the states suck, they all squash 1 set of rights and pander to the other set. We are all in a constant game of tug of war, by design. The Constitution is in the middle and both sides are pulling as hard as they can to destroy it.

P. S. No, I'm punching back twice as hard against state-enforced gun-free zones.

When you raise the cost of establishing them, you lower the number of them.
You’re advocating the use of state sanctioned force to require a property owner to do something he doesn’t want to do. That’s statism.

As others have said if he was serious he would demand the legislature revoke all gun laws period, then arrest every ATF agent in the state. He's not doing that. So all show and no pony.

Your advocating the use of state sanctioned force to limit rights.
No. That’s the state enforcing private property rights. Very different kettle of fish and while not perfect it’s nicely parsed to balance the right of the property owner to set limitations on who can come onto his property with those of the rest of us who want to defend ourselves.

As others have said if he was serious he would demand the legislature revoke all gun laws period, then arrest every ATF agent in the state. He's not doing that. So all show and no pony.
This. Abbot gets shit from the right about not being tough enough. Given what he’s got to deal with from the blue CA invaders in the major cities I think he does a decent job but this is just smoke and mirror pandering to his base.

No. That’s the state enforcing private property rights. Very different kettle of fish and while not perfect it’s nicely parsed to balance the right of the property owner to set limitations on who can come onto his property with those of the rest of us who want to defend ourselves.
Wow nice spin. You can spin it all you want. It’s still statism.

Property rights are natural rights. Life, liberty, property. Protecting natural rights is the only justification for the existence of the state.
Someones right of self defense doesn’t deprive anyone of their property. All it deprives you of is a false sense of safeness.

Someones right of self defense doesn’t deprive anyone of their property. All it deprives you of is a false sense of safeness.
Incorrect. If I as a property owner decide I don’t want armed people on my property I have the right to prohibit it. I’d be stupid to prohibit it but in a free society I have the right to be stupid. One of the duties of the state is to protect my right to do as I wish with my property- even if it is stupid. SCOTUS upheld this right when it ruled Masterpiece Cake Shop didn’t have to make a gay wedding cake.

Incorrect. If I as a property owner decide I don’t want armed people on my property I have the right to prohibit it. I’d be stupid to prohibit it but in a free society I have the right to be stupid. One of the duties of the state is to protect my right to do as I wish with my property- even if it is stupid. SCOTUS upheld this right when it ruled Masterpiece Cake Shop didn’t have to make a gay wedding cake.
You are missing the point. States without such restrictions still afford the property owner the right to kick people out for things such as carrying a firearm. If the individual doesn't leave, charges for trespassing can be pressed.
In states like TX, the individual can be charged with a misdemeanor for carrying on said property.

You are missing the point. States without such restrictions still afford the property owner the right to kick people out for things such as carrying a firearm. If the individual doesn't leave, charges for trespassing can be pressed.
In states like TX, the individual can be charged with a misdemeanor for carrying on said property.
It’s only a misdemeanor if you refuse to leave. Look, I live here. The reality is this: if you miss a 30 06 sign and someone happens to figure out you’re carrying concealed and asks you to please leave - and you say ‘oh sorry, didn’t see the sign’ and go out and put your gun in the car it’s a no harm, no foul, no misdemeanor. If you refuse and they have to call the cops it’s a Class 3 misdemeanor with a decent fine. If you refuse to obey the cop it’s a felony.

Do I like it? No. Do you see a lot of them? Only ones I’ve ever seen were in office buildings, not stores. AND if they don’t have the sign, they CAN’T ask you to leave because of the gun. Is it another layer of bureaucracy? Yeah but Texas has a lot of that. Texas gun laws are about the same as most of the South. Way better than anything in the north except NH.

If you live in Texas call the Governor and tell him nope, stick it and pass Constitutional carry. Then tell the ATF to go open a quirky mart.

Enlighten us as to what they are please.

basically you need a permit to carry. Carry is defined as on your person off your property. Your car is considered your property so you don’t need one to have it in the car. Permit is shall issue once you take a class. No restrictions on ownership - if it’s federally legal you can own it permit or not. There are some restrictions where you can carry. Bars, government buildings, schools.

that's it.
Yup. I think TX has a gun free zone law that says if your armed in the zone u are commiting a crime. I think???

I think the more important question is, where do they stand on assless chaps?
Asking for a friend

You’re advocating the use of state sanctioned force to require a property owner to do something he doesn’t want to do. That’s statism.
Happens every day.
Your going to put in handicapped ramps and bathrooms and elevators .
Can't afford it ? Too bad.

You WILL follow health codes or get shut down.

That gay couple holding hands at the table ? If you're the type to be offended by it you won't be tossing them out unless you want a crippling lawsuit or hate crime charges. Or both.

Same with any minority.

The only group you are free to discriminate against is gun owners.

Happens every day.
Your going to put in handicapped ramps and bathrooms and elevators .
Can't afford it ? Too bad.

You WILL follow health codes or get shut down.

That gay couple holding hands at the table ? If you're the type to be offended by it you won't be tossing them out unless you want a crippling lawsuit or hate crime charges. Or both.

Same with any minority.

The only group you are free to discriminate against is gun owners.
You’re right it does, so why advocate for more of it? You arguing that ‘it’s OK as long as I agree with it’?

Enlighten us as to what they are please.

basically you need a permit to carry. Carry is defined as on your person off your property. Your car is considered your property so you don’t need one to have it in the car. Permit is shall issue once you take a class. No restrictions on ownership - if it’s federally legal you can own it permit or not. There are some restrictions where you can carry. Bars, government buildings, schools, and any place that has places a no guns compliant with TX law 30.06 (30.07 for open carry).
FIFY and enlightened. While MA bans carry under the influence, there is no legal prohibition on being a designated defender while you also serve as the designated driver. And it's not just bars - any place that posts a notice 50% of its income is from the sale of alcohol for on premises consumption.

There are many more places you cannot legally carry in TX than in MA.

I’ve literally never seen an 06 sign. I’ve seen 07’s but as I don’t open carry it’s not an issue.
Try visiting any hospital (they all have em), a rental car facility near the DFW airport (I think it was Hertz) or the TX Schoolbook Depository (though when I was there the sign was not binding as it did not meet the legally required font size).

FIFY and enlightened. While MA bans carry under the influence, there is no legal prohibition on being a designated defender while you also serve as the designated driver. And it's not just bars - any place that posts a notice 50% of its income is from the sale of alcohol for on premises consumption.

There are many more places you cannot legally carry in TX than in MA.
Rob I referenced the signage and 51% in many places in this thread, you just didn’t bother to quote them.
You can carry more places in MA
You have a stat for that or is it your opinion? What guns can I buy in MA without a permit? Ammo? Oh yeah. Right.

Rob I referenced the signage and 51% in many places in this thread, you just didn’t bother to quote them.
You can carry more places in MA
You have a stat for that or is it your opinion? What guns can I buy in MA without a permit? Ammo? Oh yeah. Right.
Places that are gun ban areas in TX but not in MA:
- Establishments meeting the 51% requirement
- ANY place that posts a compliant 30.06 sign. This includes some large businesses and virtually every hospital in the state

Places that are gun ban areas in MA but not TX:
- Some colleges, though it is a crime to violate a school gun ban rule - there are limits, but bans "in any building" seem to be acceptable under TX law

One advantage of MA is that I can go out with friends and not have to face the choice of "ooops, banned place, do I excuse myself or break the law?" since a business or corporation cannot "Surprise" me if I have not advance scouted for a 30.06 sign.

I am not counting places that are administratively banned, just places where you can be criminally charged and convicted for carrying.

Please provide your list of places where it is a crime to carry in MA but not in TX. TX does have the advantage that it actually takes a serious offense to become a PP and the concept of "suitability" does not exist.

As to other issues - guns, ammos, permits - not the subject of my post. I was addressing ONLY the narrow "where can you legally carry?" issue. TX has many advantages - what you can buy, no license except to carry, you have to do something more than violate a 30.06 sign to get Federal PP status, much lesser chance of bogus charges if you defend yourself; etc. On the whole, I think TX is far better in the gun rights arena ... but it is not a universal superset of what we have in the DPRM.

I don't think people are particularly shitting on TX. The issue is the Gov acting like his state is some Mecca of unbridled 2A freedom which is clearly something he is not trying to accomplish.

Back
Top Bottom