• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Granby Bow and gun has won their court case

If this is the suit in Land Court ( filed in Jan 2018) I in interested in the details even if it is too late to benefit me having moved to PA. To me ( and many know better) there were three parts. Use of the covered shed at lower area, use of the concrete pad at upper area , and recovery of reasonable legal fees. I hope GB&GC won all three points and the town has to pay a HUGH legal fee.

Background on Granby, not sure if there's a separate thread for the lawsuit:

Searching around:

2017-2021: Massachusetts - Granby Bow & Gun Club, Inc. v. Town of Granby, Zoning Board of Appeals of Granby, et al. - 18 MISC 000029/20 MISC 000145

• Defense of sportsmen’s club’s long-standing rifle range operations against Town’s cease & desist orders. Issues include the extent to which the normal, ongoing range operations of a shooting range that is a nonconforming use can be attacked as a change of use when target locations and distances are adjusted on the range and periodic maintenance that includes brush and tree clearing occurs.
  • Current disposition (May 2022): ongoing litigation in Massachusetts Land Court. To date, the sportsmen’s club has succeeded in overturning the cease & desist order prohibiting use of the club’s replacement shooter shed; the range opponent neighboring property owners and the Town claimed the 2010 special permit to construct the shed lapsed prior to completion of the shed; the court ruled that a nonconforming use does not require a special permit to construct a replacement shed and requires merely a building permit. A bench trial on the remainder of the case concluded on 1/20/22. Post-trial filings were concluded on 3/2/22. A decision is expected in the near-term.

20 MISC 000145 Details:

18 MISC 000029 Details:

1652976579537.png

1652974596156.png

1652974441259.png

Much more positive than I was expecting. It's an interesting read surrounding the expansive interpretations by the Granby board regarding prior and non-conforming use. The judge sounds incredulous in his wording (or, maybe that's how they always sound):

It appears that the board has thirty days to annul the C&D for the long-range.

Last edited:
The electorate should be made well aware of the taxpayer costs associated with the board's decisions.
Correct! Hope the club members who are residents contact their selectmen and members of the Board and ream then thoroughly. It must be public record how much the town spent on legal fees, hopefully these folks are forced to explain their decision to go after the club.

Thanks.. So that is at the shooting area, how many people can engage the targets at once?

Can I bring my dirtbike to change the paper at 1000yds? :)
Last time I shot 1k we had people in a bunker on the receiving end marking hits, you'd shoot once, someone would pull the target down, mark your hit, then put it back up. After the set you'd swap- it was really odd standing in a bunker listening to the rounds flying overhead, they kind of sounded like bees buzzing by.

So that is at the shooting area, how many people can engage the targets at once?

At once? I don't know. They have added a large concrete pad. For qualification in the past, perhaps twenty on the line.

Can I bring my dirtbike to change the paper at 1000yds?

If heading out on the range, some mode of transport has been the procedure in the past. Steel at distance. Don't know if there is/has been any paper at 600+. Been several years for me because of the above ...

Anyone know if an orientation or anything is needed for a membership? I want to sign up and probably never go since it’s almost a 3 hour drive there for me.

Last time I shot 1k we had people in a bunker on the receiving end marking hits, you'd shoot once, someone would pull the target down, mark your hit, then put it back up. After the set you'd swap- it was really odd standing in a bunker listening to the rounds flying overhead, they kind of sounded like bees buzzing by.
What happens in the bunker, stays in the bunker.

I was at the original hearing several years ago, at the Granby Jr/Sr High School. It was a serious affair, in an otherwise un-serious venue--the high school cafeteria! Each side had lawyers, witness testimony, evidence, etc. Glad to hear it's working out!

Anyone know if an orientation or anything is needed for a membership? I want to sign up and probably never go since it’s almost a 3 hour drive there for me.
It was a mail in application with check(s) and you were in. That may have changed. However as a member you are limited to the lower range (300 yards) until you can pass the LRO ( long range orientation) a combination of reviewing your gear and dope and then showing you can hit the target ( or get close) out to distance.

I’m sure the officers at Granby are going to have to re establish protocols for use of long distance range and qualification process for it. It use to be some days/ times we’re reserved for lower range, others for upper range ( long distance range).

Reading the court decision above town has 30 days to lift cease and desist orders.

Back
Top Bottom