• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Granby Bow & Gun Club ZBA final meeting May 7th

They are effectively limiting the clubs ability to make a profit and to run a successful business. Those people haven't lived there as long as the club is there so if they didn't like the sound of gunfire they should not have moved in next to the club. It looks like they're trying to create a major financial burden on the club by requesting a complete site report etc. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in the land court.

If the town succeeds - a sale to a developer for Section 8 apartments and advertising to every ghetto in bussing distance is required. Must be families with at least 5 young kids, that don’t speak English (ideally with as many different languages and dialects as possible).

It really doesn't matter how the ZBA decides.

47d5ff76-a63e-4daa-8a9f-60f3cc47bd80.mp4

I agree. The club should stop wasting time and money in expectation that something is going to work out with the town. What's also shameful is that the town ZBA is happy to let the town's small annual budget continue to hemorrhage over an issue that matters to only a very limited minority.

I just watched the meeting video. A few points:

- A ZBA decision is required to be based solely on the factors that they can statutorily consider. "Harmony of the neighborhood" related to past incidents is not one of those factors. This was cited as the chair as one of his primary reasons for advocating denial of the permit.
- A ZBA, when considering a special permit, does consider whether granting the permit would allow a use that is "significantly more detrimental" than what is otherwise allowed by right. They did not cite any issues or such findings.
- If the zoning bylaw requires full site plans, they may be within their rights to require special permit applications to include them. However, if they typically waive these requirements for small accessory structures, then their refusal to waive the requirements for the club may be arbitrary. These are accessory structures and not related to the primary use. The site visit by the board should be sufficient.

- Reading between the lines, it sounds like some of the members may have been inclined to approve one part of the permit and deny the other part, but they were not allowed to divide the two structures into two parts since they were part of the same permit application.

I'm not a lawyer but I've watched ZBA cases on TV....

If the town succeeds - a sale to a developer for Section 8 apartments and advertising to every ghetto in bussing distance is required. Must be families with at least 5 young kids, that don’t speak English (ideally with as many different languages and dialects as possible).

Yup and once the state is involved there isn't anything they can do about it.
Want to sober them up quick ?
Drop a set of drawing on their desk depicting how many units of section 8 housing could be stuffed onto that property.
Let them know that the folks in town will have them to personally thank for it.

Update 12/5: Town of Granby has now issued a C&D for the range area going to the left. This was the section with various small berms and plates set out to as far as 500+ yards. The primary and more open area to the right for 300, possibly 400 yards remains open.

Update 12/5: Town of Granby has now issued a C&D for the range area going to the left. This was the section with various small berms and plates set out to as far as 500+ yards. The primary and more open area to the right for 300, possibly 400 yards remains open.
The town sure seems to have a problem with people enjoying themselves. I think there are some palms getting greased.

Under what grounds? Is this final?

Announcement from the club, informing members that the longer distance area to the left was closed. Final? Hopefully not. Does seem to go into effect immediately. This new Granby ZBA shenanigans seems to be driven out of spite. I'd sure as hell like to know why they filed a C&D now. Seems like someone must be trespassing in order to cook up a reason. What nasty, small minded town leadership...

Unfortunately it seems like the ZBA thinks it's God and they can make up whatever they want. According to the discussion on FB it still has something to do with noise. Truly disqusting what they're getting away with.

That is bullsh*t. I just renewed my membership.

Why are they shutting down the 500 now and not a year ago, what changed?

That is bullsh*t. I just renewed my membership.

Why are they shutting down the 500 now and not a year ago, what changed?

Why? Some @sshole conceived of another means to screw the club and the town ZBA gleefully played along. Something to do with noise makes no sense whatsoever. Members must shoot from the same position regardless of shooting to the leftward (formerly) long distance range or the primary range straight ahead. Tough situation for the club. What's left may not be quite as attractive to those coming from longer distances.

Why? Some @sshole conceived of another means to screw the club and the town ZBA gleefully played along. Something to do with noise makes no sense whatsoever. Members must shoot from the same position regardless of shooting to the leftward (formerly) long distance range or the primary range straight ahead. Tough situation for the club. What's left may not be quite as attractive to those coming from longer distances.
What I meant wasnt that they should shut them down... what I meant was ... why the f is the town messing with the 500 yard range now?

They have been messing with the club over the 1K yard range, the club stops using it, they mess with the club over the firing line, the club moves shooters to the side ... now they go for the 500 yard range?

That is messed up.

Now, if this prevails and the club cant use the 500 yard range because of "noise", what is stopping the town from saying the 300 is just as loud as the 500?

Last edited:
Now, if this prevails and the town cant use the 500 yard range because of "noise", what is stopping the town from saying the 300 is just as loud as the 500?

Apparently nothing- certainly not logic or law. What I don't understand is why the club doesn't say 'Get a court order, then we will stop.' Who died and made the ZBA king? Seems that the hearings were before the ZBA, with the town and club attorneys present. What's to stop the town doing whatever they want if not an actual court? No idea how actual court filings / hearings are going.

The ~500 yard range is simply the portion of the 1,000 yard range that can still be accessed from the main firing line. The upper firing line was atop the hill behind the main firing line, so perhaps that allowed noise to travel more. The noise thing for the ~500 yard section makes no sense whatsoever because members are shooting from essentially the same position as they have for years and years- before the section to the left was ever built. Shooters are simply aiming ~15 to 20 degrees to the left in order to use that section of the range.

If noise is the issue then they need to host a machine gun shoot every weekend where everyone participates in a mad minute.... one that lasts about 6 hours.

Find a developer to partner with on a large 40B and refuse to engage in any mitigation discussions with the town, seek only to maximize income so you can rise elsewhere.

If some of you guys have let your Granby memberships lapse, it’s renewal season. All gun clubs rely on continued member support to keep operating.

The club is working hard to bring the membership more shooting opportunities in the coming months, and could use your support.

I belong to 4 shooting ranges in my area and granby is by far me and my girlfriends favorite. I work alot and am not as active of a member as i should be. I will be following this thread.

Thanks for the update. Disgusting that the ZBA can get away with violating the clubs right to run a business on property that shooting has been going on since 1947.

Under state law, existing gun clubs cannot be shut down due to noise. This is just an example of anti-gunners trying to skirt the law and persecute those they disagree with. By hook or crook.

This will not affect Saturday’s match.
I guess the ZBA doesn't have enough sense to know that the noise is the same whether you're firing at 100yds. or 1000yds. I'd be willing to bet someones pocket is being lined for them to continue to keep this shit up.

I guess the ZBA doesn't have enough sense to know that the noise is the same whether you're firing at 100yds. or 1000yds. I'd be willing to bet someones pocket is being lined for them to continue to keep this shit up.

A cease and desist order and appeal doesn’t really cost the town much $$ until it’s challenged in court. It does cost the club though.
The town will likely continue these f*** f*** games until it costs them real money. The case on Land Court is still pending.

I’d bet my bottom dollar someone’s being paid off.
This is a total prick move!

My guess is they're saying longer range (larger) calibers are louder than .223 at 100 yards. I have a fix, let us get cans. I'd literally buy one for every rifle I have at the range that'll take one.

Back
Top Bottom