• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Great day out yesterday

No, I didn't get a deer, and to be honest I didn't even see any sign. That was due to the HUGE coyote population in the area I went. The place was literally covered in coyote tracks, and I was following one for some time before I lost his fresh tracks in with all the others. I tracked 2 sets of tracks that were dragging something real big all the way back to a den that was empty, and I more or less stumbled onto another empty den.

What made the day great? I was outside. I was in the woods. I was walking, sitting still, listening intently for every sound I could hear. I could take a deep breath through my nose and smell nothing but crisp cold air, but the best part is I could climb up on top of a hill or ridge, and as far as I could see in any direction, was woods.

Of course it would have been nice to get a monster buck, but any day out in the woods is a great day for me.

I have been out looking for deer as well, seen them, missed them, et al. I enjoy being out for the other things that I see. Last Saturday I was out and I saw a small sparrow type bird foraging around at the base of trees. It came up and landed on my foot so I got a good look. It had an orange stripe of feathers on the top of its head like a Mohawk. Never saw a bird like this before at the feeder. First thing I did when I got home was to look it up. It is an Ovenbird. popular, but only in the deep forest. it is great finding things that are new to me!

I have been out looking for deer as well, seen them, missed them, et al. I enjoy being out for the other things that I see. Last Saturday I was out and I saw a small sparrow type bird foraging around at the base of trees. It came up and landed on my foot so I got a good look. It had an orange stripe of feathers on the top of its head like a Mohawk. Never saw a bird like this before at the feeder. First thing I did when I got home was to look it up. It is an Ovenbird. popular, but only in the deep forest. it is great finding things that are new to me!

One time when I was out hunting, a bluebird almost landed on my head. He was swooping in for a landing when he realized that orange rock was kind of funny looking. He sort of hovered about 2 feet in front of and above my face, then landed in a branch 6 feet away.

It is amazing what you will see when you are being quiet and still in the woods.

Funny you mention birds. One thing I did see yesterday was a blue-jay laying beak down in the snow, not covered by any snow, and not visibly hurt. It just looked like he was taking a nap.

Back
Top Bottom