Great medical care shooting course

JJC

NES Member
This is my review of the Sig Sauer Academy course bullets and bandages 1 and 2. I attended these two courses in succession during the first week of October 2019. The combined courses took 5 solid days. I'm a strong believer that you should know how to close (or at least stabilize) the holes you put into someone. Kerry Davis teaches the course and is engaging and brings a high level of practical knowledge.

Bullets and Bandages 1:
Day 1: All classroom, overall approach to rapid trauma assessment and hemorrhage control. You will at random intervals be told to apply a tourniquet to one of your arms or legs. This happens every single day of the course and does in fact get you very good at consolidating this skill. The instructor will check it to make sure it is done correctly.

Day 2: All classroom, more in-depth management of complex wounds how to build an efficient med kit.

Day 3:
1 hour classroom:
Gun safety, discuss self care and prepare to apply learned medical skills.

Live fire morning pistol fundamentals: Too many exercises to list that include shooting from 35 yds away with precision; shooting on the move; Injury simulation exercise (shooting 2 handed @ 5yds then simulated loss of non-dominant hand-run behind barrier @15 yds-apply tourniquet and reload 1 handed, return fire 1 handed); Injury simulation exercise with dominant arm injured.

Live fire afternoon rifle fundamentals:
Start out at 50 yds prone for precision, then many other rifle drills including the injury simulation exercise (shoot-run-tourniquet-reload-return fire) Shooting a full sized m400 rifle for accuracy with 1 arm is damn hard and is harder with your non-dominant arm.

Bullets and Bandages 2:
Day 1: Morning is all classroom overview of rapid trauma survey takes about 3 hours.
The rest of the day is pistol exercises. He will literally teach you anything you want to focus on. We did long distance, shooting from retention, a 3 shots in 3 seconds at 3 yds from the holster that was really great. Run and gun behind 7 barriers. 2 shots each side of the barrier on steel at 15 yds.

Day 2:
Morning is discussing breaching techniques briefly then shoot-no shoot scenarios with 2 man teambreaching using the UTMs (ultimate training munitions).
Afternoon was 2 student breaching vs 1 student entrenched. If you get hit you have to self treat, treat your buddy, then treat the hostile. 4 rounds of this. You get critiqued on breaching, clearing room, shooting and trauma care. The last part of the afternoon is large scale 4 vs 4 students with UTM, we got 5 rounds of this. More fun than you can imagine. Bring gloves. I was last man standing once in the big "team death match" but was "shot" more than once (meaning I was eliminated far more frequently) where I was treated by a teammate. I actually felt that the non-medical people demonstrated excellent triage care and could see substantial growth from the first to last day.

In short, it was the best class I've attended so far. As a physician, I expected the medical side would seem basic but I think it's very practical and you'll be shocked at how difficult it is to apply in reality under pressure. My range emergency kit is much more practical now. Hope that is useful information.

Bullets and Bandages I

Back
Top Bottom