Grouse Hunting

Anyone here Grouse hunt? If so what do you shoot with and do you hunt with a dog?

Never went hunting for them specifically. They were always scared up incidental to pheasant hunting. I always found them close to the walking paths in the weeds. No mistake in identifying them, just look for the band across the tail feathers.

I haven't hunted Grouse in years, use to hunt 'em all the time when I was a free man before the ball & chain.

Used a 12 gauge w/ mod. choke & 7 1/2 shot. No dog, just pushed through the woods to flush them out.

Lots of fun, sometimes four or more would fly out from the same nest. Find the birds warming in the sun on a frosty morning a top rocks & limbs.

I found the pop. of Grouse coincided with the pop. of fox. Heavy fox activity little Grouse with the birds coming in first.

I hunt them every fall. tons of fun. I dont use a dog. I usually go with a couple other people for more coverage. Early in the season there will be single birds here and there, as it gets colder they will covey up to keep warm. Thats when the fun really gets going. They would prefer to run if they have cover to do so, when they do fly they dont go awful far either.

Travis

use to hunt them all the time 12 gauge w/ imp cyclinder 7 1/2 no dog just a couple of friend pushing the brush, have seen a coupe in myle standish

Bloody things wait until you about step on them, give you a heart attack when they flush and put a tree between themselves and you in a real hurry. They are the most delicious meat I've ever tasted.

Yep, 7 1/2's from a 12 GA with Cyl or Imp Cyl choke.

Back
Top Bottom