• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Grown Up" 22s

My dad's got a beautiful blued 4" Colt Trooper MKIII in .22lr. Now that's a solid feeling gun. Extremely accurate as well. It's probably one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Hows would you guys rate tbe ruger single six? Well built or a toy? I remember shooting my uncles when i was a kid and enjoyed it. Would sure save some $ at the range and i love guns that can shoot multiple calibers so if you want it to feel less like a toy throw in some 22mag.

Hows would you guys rate tbe ruger single six? Well built or a toy? I remember shooting my uncles when i was a kid and enjoyed it. Would sure save some $ at the range and i love guns that can shoot multiple calibers so if you want it to feel less like a toy throw in some 22mag.
Definitely not a toy. My grandfather has one we shoot sometimes and there's something really solid feeling when you pull back the hammer. Really tight action and a satisfying click as it locks into place. His is pretty old though so I'm not sure if they have changed over the years.

My 6" Dan Wesson 22 is 4 pounds of American steel awesome, they are relatively rare but I highly recommend checking it out if you cross paths with one.

Posted from my car phone.

Definitely not a toy. My grandfather has one we shoot sometimes and there's something really solid feeling when you pull back the hammer. Really tight action and a satisfying click as it locks into place. His is pretty old though so I'm not sure if they have changed over the years.

I'll back this up. I've got a newer one and I'm very happy with the build quality.

I have one of these. It was my son's first real rifle and it is just about our favorite plinker. It is heavy for a 22 with the octagon barrel and nice walnut, but that is one of the things to like about it.

Add to that that you can shoot 22 long or short, and it holds a ton of ammo, which it is not finnicky about, and I can honestly say it is one of our favorite rifles. And it is a good looking rifle.

1524-0028.jpg

I have one of these. It was my son's first real rifle and it is just about our favorite plinker. It is heavy for a 22 with the octagon barrel and nice walnut, but that is one of the things to like about it.

Add to that that you can shoot 22 long or short, and it holds a ton of ammo, which it is not finnicky about, and I can honestly say it is one of our favorite rifles. And it is a good looking rifle.

1524-0028.jpg

what is it

That is a Henry Golden Boy

http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-goldenboy.cfm.

From Four Seasons website - and they usually keep them in stock. It is where I bought mine.

If this American masterpiece of Henry gunsmithing doesn't inspire you to saddle up and ride off into the sunset, nothing will. They say that the original Henry rifle was the gun that won the West. We say the Golden Boy is the gun that'll win your heart. It features a genuine American walnut stock, a gleaming Brasslite receiver, a brass buttplate, sporting sights and an awesome 20-inch long octagon barrel. It'll hold 16 rounds of .22 long rifle ammo. The overall length is 40" and it weights 6 3/4 pounds.
$439

Last edited:
As many have said the henry lever guns in .22lr are not toy rifles. its actually my favorite rifle to shoot at the range. I just picked up a river single 10 and that is not a cheap feeling gun either.....solid well built......only complaint I have is the trigger......for a single action only hand gun I expected a bit lighter pull......my wife's double action s and w 642 is lighter to pull back. I'm thinking of taking the single 10 to a good gun plumber to fix that. anyway......good choice on the smith 617.......almost got one of those when I got the single 10 but it was seriously 200 rockets more!

I apologize, but I have to necro this thread. I just got a GP100 in 22lr and this thing epitomizes everything I was thinking of when I made this thread. A large and comfortable grip, good fit and finish, lockup and mechanics that feel solid, and probably one of if not the most overbuilt mechanisms for a 22 DA/SA revolver ever. I ditched my 617 a while back because it felt a tad nose-heavy (Probably should have picked up the 4" instead!) but this GP100 scratches the same itch I had when I got the 617, with a slightly shorter barrel and a shorter underlug (Which was absolutely, 100% the right design choice). It's definitely a bit of a chunk, no doubt, but all of the weight rests right in the hands, more to the rear of the gun than the front, and it points perfectly and is very accurate.

It's been a while since I've enjoyed a new gun so thoroughly. Please don't tell anyone in MA state gov't how much fun I'm having or they'll probably ban these guns.

I know Sears (JC Higgins) made a swell .22 that is certainly an adult gun, and is a classic.

Ditto!

.17 HMR sucks for plinking though, the bullets just get stuck in things, unless you're blowing up shampoo bottles full of water. It worked really well for that. I honestly won't ever buy another one unless I'm actually planning on going out and shooting small animals with one.

Dibs! (price needs to be right)

Browning Buckmark, S&W 41, S&W 17, Marlin 39A, CZ kadet, Ruger 77/22, Anschutz, are some of my favorites.

Ditto on the Buckmark for sure, and CZ makes real nice guns.

Mossberg 44US. Purchased from CMP for $75. Added a magazine, new Birch stock, new trigger guard, and hooded front sight.
i-TW3msw8.jpg

That is sweet. Still available?

To these, I'd like to add the Thompson Center Classic .22. I don't think they make it any more, but it was really nice.

I know Sears (JC Higgins) made a swell .22 that is certainly an adult gun, and is a classic.

Ditto!

Dibs! (price needs to be right)

Ditto on the Buckmark for sure, and CZ makes real nice guns.

That is sweet. Still available?

To these, I'd like to add the Thompson Center Classic .22. I don't think they make it any more, but it was really nice.

You can find mossberg 44s and out there.
A few have popped up on cmp auction.
They have taken a bit of a jump in price last few years.
Especially the U.S. property marked ones.
There are a good amount of solid older full size 22s out there.
The remington 5XX series rifles are all decent.
Most of the "military" training rifles are also close to full size and weight.
The win 75 is another old school full size 22

Last edited:
Got a couple of older full size 22s

1943 Remington 513t Match Master US Property marked and a Springfield M22.

Last edited:
I just bought my son an Anschutz 1903 match in .22. It weighs 8 pounds and doesn't feel like a toy at all
8lbs how did you get it so light[smile] depending on the type of matches he is shooting that rifle will be sure to gain a few pounds in the future.

I have a S&W 617 4" and a Ruger M77-22. Both are very grown up. My M77 is the no sight model so get a nice fixed power scope for it and go drive tacks.

What I'd really like to find is a stupid/ugly old .22 Magnum. I don't care how beat up it looks, or if it is single shot or missing a magazine; as long as it is reliable, safe, and accurate. In fact, I might even like to turn one into a project. I'm sure with all the new .17 rimfires out now, people are unloading them, but I'm just not seeing anything.

I apologize, but I have to necro this thread. I just got a GP100 in 22lr and this thing epitomizes everything I was thinking of when I made this thread. A large and comfortable grip, good fit and finish, lockup and mechanics that feel solid, and probably one of if not the most overbuilt mechanisms for a 22 DA/SA revolver ever. I ditched my 617 a while back because it felt a tad nose-heavy (Probably should have picked up the 4" instead!) but this GP100 scratches the same itch I had when I got the 617, with a slightly shorter barrel and a shorter underlug (Which was absolutely, 100% the right design choice). It's definitely a bit of a chunk, no doubt, but all of the weight rests right in the hands, more to the rear of the gun than the front, and it points perfectly and is very accurate.

It's been a while since I've enjoyed a new gun so thoroughly. Please don't tell anyone in MA state gov't how much fun I'm having or they'll probably ban these guns.

We have this gun now for about two months. I agree, my wife's and my favorite gun to shoot. We realized today just how much we enjoy the gun because we did not have it at the gun range. It recently went back to Ruger because of way too many fail to fires. We can't wait to get it back. I'm actually getting comfortable shooting it in D/A. I wish Ruger made this in a 9mm as well. It is one beefy gun.

Mossberg 146 BA is a really nice adult rifle for a bolt gun. Also a Marlin Model 60 is an excellent crossover B/T kid and adult. Also I'll put in a bid for an original Ruger Standard.

To bad mossberg lost this nice gun thing a few decades ago.
I love my marlin model 60 but mine are early variety. Almost has a bull barrel and the stock is ok.
It's not the most accurate and off hand yesterday in the wind at 100 yards I shot about 6moa
This 60 has laid dormant for many many years.
I refinished the stock and bedded the action. I need a new trigger housing as mine cracked many many years ago.
Time for a nice compact scope for 100 yard plinking and see what ammo does well in it these days.
Last I shot my 60 I was still swimming in Junoir brand Russian ammo.
So far my favorite 22lr semi auto is my Rem 552 it shoots shorts to LR with out issue I can even load a short then long then long rifle and the rifle does not care. I need to pick up some "light" shooting 22 to see just how slow a round can be to cycle in the 552.

Last edited:
It recently went back to Ruger because of way too many fail to fires.

Oh wow, I hope I don't run into that issue. I'm pretty excited that I was able to put a lighter hammer spring in mine and only had 1 FTF out of 100ish rounds I tested. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed it keeps chugging along because it feels great now.

Hope you get yours back soon, they're an absolute hoot!

Last edited:
"Grown Up" 22s you ask? I'd say 22-250 or .223? :)

Pfft. .220 Swift.

I had a buddy that was working on a load for 220 Swift. He was trying to get it as fast as possible yet keep pressure within spec.

We had a load but at a certain point, the bullets just stopped hitting the target with any accuracy.

We were using Hornady V-Max bullets. Maybe 35 or 40 grain bullets, I think. (This was almost 20 years ago.)

He made a quick call to Hornady.

"What velocity are you getting at the muzzle?"

"About 4,000FPS" (I think that's what it was. It was SMOKING whatever it was.)

"Yeah. The tip will get driven into the bullet at about 3,800. The thing is breaking up before it hits the target at that speed. Back it down a bit and call it a day."

Gosh we laughed about that.

Sig 522. If you can find one, with a quad rail.

Bought one about 8 years ago. Far and above my favorite 22 rifle ive ever handled. Feels exactly the same in the hand as its grown up brother.

(Not mine, but gives you an idea)

5787318159_ef762ee5a8_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom