"Grown Up" 22s

I had to pull this thread out of the dustbin. I think this fits the definition of a "Grown up" .22:

Got lucky yesterday down at Cabela's in Scarborough. My first stop is always the racks of used rifles outside the "Gun Library". Saw a schnabel forend and picked it up. I'll be God-Damned it's a Savage Anschutz 54 Sporter. I had been looking for one for many years, ever since my uncle gave me a Savage catalog back in the mid-1970's (Savage was the importer for Anschutz back then. They had a deal where each would market the other back home). They were always too expensive. This one wasn't and I couldn't get to the counter fast enough.

jPYKpsg.jpg

p9JDxAD.jpg

Y0yzdWl.jpg

TAuerqc.jpg

It is an Anschutz 1422D based on their 54 action. Made in 1979. The Savage imports are called "54 Sporter". Came with a Redfield 3-9x scope, which is probably getting swapped out with something else. Has a little metal finish issue on the trigger guard: rust. Hint: Always ask Cabela's if there's any room on the price, especially if there is any rust you can point out. They took $80 off.

+1 on the Henry Golden Boy .22 It's sneaky fun. I've been shooting a steel gong at 100 yards and it never gets old. Trying to decide if I should upgrade the sights. Still in the process of getting the rear buckhorn in the perfect position. My local club has a rimfire plate rack and dueling tree. All good.

The Marlin 39 lever rifles are really sturdy and heavily built especially some of the older ones.

39A-1200x250-1-1.png

I had to pull this thread out of the dustbin. I think this fits the definition of a "Grown up" .22:

Got lucky yesterday down at Cabela's in Scarborough. My first stop is always the racks of used rifles outside the "Gun Library". Saw a schnabel forend and picked it up. I'll be God-Damned it's a Savage Anschutz 54 Sporter. I had been looking for one for many years, ever since my uncle gave me a Savage catalog back in the mid-1970's (Savage was the importer for Anschutz back then. They had a deal where each would market the other back home). They were always too expensive. This one wasn't and I couldn't get to the counter fast enough.

jPYKpsg.jpg

p9JDxAD.jpg

Y0yzdWl.jpg

TAuerqc.jpg

It is an Anschutz 1422D based on their 54 action. Made in 1979. The Savage imports are called "54 Sporter". Came with a Redfield 3-9x scope, which is probably getting swapped out with something else. Has a little metal finish issue on the trigger guard: rust. Hint: Always ask Cabela's if there's any room on the price, especially if there is any rust you can point out. They took $80 off.
[bow][party]
Great old wood and steel right there!

jPYKpsg.jpg

p9JDxAD.jpg

Y0yzdWl.jpg

TAuerqc.jpg

Beautiful bolt 22!

I've been toying around the idea of a bolt action in 22 or 17hmr.

Have you seen the steyr zephyr ii? Damn they are purdy.

Anyone know if Sig discontinued the P226 .22lr conversion kit? Putting a suppressor on that could be fun, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

It is an Anschutz 1422D based on their 54 action. Made in 1979. The Savage imports are called "54 Sporter". Came with a Redfield 3-9x scope, which is probably getting swapped out with something else. Has a little metal finish issue on the trigger guard: rust.

What a beautiful rifle. For the rust on the trigger guard try Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner. It's a monel wool that's harder than rust but softer than the bluing. You can scrub the surface and remove those rust freckles without doing any damage to the bluing. I've used it on worse rust than that and you pretty much can't tell the rust was ever there.

What a beautiful rifle. For the rust on the trigger guard try Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner. It's a monel wool that's harder than rust but softer than the bluing. You can scrub the surface and remove those rust freckles without doing any damage to the bluing. I've used it on worse rust than that and you pretty much can't tell the rust was ever there.

I just ordered some. Thanks!

jPYKpsg.jpg

p9JDxAD.jpg

Y0yzdWl.jpg

TAuerqc.jpg

I fondled that rifle and almost went for it. Glad it got a good home. (I'm holding out for a .308 or 6.5C next.)

If I didn't have a Savage Sporter in the safe which became my favorite rifle less than a mag in, I wouldnt have even noticed this one.

Good find. Take good care of her!

I fondled that rifle and almost went for it. Glad it got a good home. (I'm holding out for a .308 or 6.5C next.)

If I didn't have a Savage Sporter in the safe which became my favorite rifle less than a mag in, I wouldnt have even noticed this one.

Good find. Take good care of her!
How long ago did you see it there? Frankly, I can't believe it was still on the rack at that price. They are usually over $1000.

She's a shooter. I put an old weaver 2-10 I had laying around and did a quick sight-in at 50 yards with some CCI Standard. Once I had it set for 50, I tried to hold it right on that bottom target ring for 5 shots. I called the last shot shot low which opened up that group to 7/16".
AlaMcKI.jpg

How long ago did you see it there? Frankly, I can't believe it was still on the rack at that price. They are usually over $1000.

She's a shooter. I put an old weaver 2-10 I had laying around and did a quick sight-in at 50 yards with some CCI Standard. Once I had it set for 50, I tried to hold it right on that bottom target ring for 5 shots. I called the last shot shot low which opened up that group to 7/16".
AlaMcKI.jpg
Sweet.

I think I was there either the same day or the day before you snagged it. Was grabbing some last minute things for a long camping road trip.

+1 on the Henry Golden Boy .22 It's sneaky fun. I've been shooting a steel gong at 100 yards and it never gets old. Trying to decide if I should upgrade the sights. Still in the process of getting the rear buckhorn in the perfect position. My local club has a rimfire plate rack and dueling tree. All good.

My Birthday present to the SO last year
1934 (1).JPG

Why buy a Henry when one can get the 'original' for a small buck....

If you like military rifles, Kingston Armory makes a .22 version of the M1 Garand and the M1A. I've never shot either and know nothing about them.

If you like military rifles, Kingston Armory makes a .22 version of the M1 Garand and the M1A. I've never shot either and know nothing about them.
Barely got off the ground. Went out of business maybe ruger can take over. Not a terrible set up. Local FFL kept the only one that showed up from his order that took 2 years to come in. He brought to the club and it shot about as good as a stock ruger with average ammo.
The trigger was pretty decent . Better than any factory ruger I have touched

The Browning TBolt is a good man size .22. Stock size is like a full size rifle. My dad bought a belgium one back in the 60's. I own it now.
I think they are making them again.

I've nearly bought many a 77/22 over the years, the price has always kept me away, but the workmanship is fine and it was just like a full size rifle. I was sorry to see them go out of production.

The CZ's make a pretty nice .22 nowadays....

Necromancing this thread to post my new 22: Mossberg 146B-A

Attachments

• DB5F7DAD-E729-4725-864E-E7DFA9F6D44D.jpeg
    DB5F7DAD-E729-4725-864E-E7DFA9F6D44D.jpeg
    927.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 9A5FF936-7088-4221-B47F-B540744AC8BF.jpeg
    9A5FF936-7088-4221-B47F-B540744AC8BF.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 10
  • F3219F21-8691-436B-9861-3622B14E5E02.jpeg
    F3219F21-8691-436B-9861-3622B14E5E02.jpeg
    579 KB · Views: 10
Back