• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guess what this is

Nope, but someone did it with my gun. It sounded funny and hit the X ring. No damage to the revolver.
I’ve made the mistake of bringing some noobs to the range and having 3 lever guns chambered in different cartridges.
I caught one guy putting 38s in the loading gate of a 45/70. I stopped him and made sure I never did that again.

How did the smaller cartridge not fall right out the front of the cylinder when loaded?
Was it held captive in a moon clip and was it done on purpose as a gag?

I have this one I picked up at my range. It's a .223/5.56 fired in something wrong.

XfjwV09.jpg

How did the smaller cartridge not fall right out the front of the cylinder when loaded?
Was it held captive in a moon clip and was it done on purpose as a gag?

The rim on a .460 won't quite fit in a .500 chamber, so it will headspace and fire. Usually the cases just stretch and fill the chamber with that small of a dimensional difference, but I guess 48 grains of H110 had different ideas.

Your 2016 post of guess what happened now makes me lean heavy to the second being the .460

I also have this .40 round that I don't know what happened to, but whatever it was it wasn't good.

6cRGSs5.jpg

Pfe8kST.jpg
Ouch. I have a 40 that blew out and the case head ripped off. That was a fun night.
Somewhere I have a 45/70 that failed too. I think it was a pinhole in the side IIRC

I'm going to guess it was a double charge.
I doubt it. Look at the primer. The pressure would’ve flattened it if there was a double charge.

It doesn’t even look like a firing pin strike set it off. My guess is it was a weird FTF, the extractor set it off, and hilarity ensued.

But it almost looks like the primer flowed around the firing pin.
The edges of the primer are still round, not even flattened the way they are when the round fires normally, and that's no firing pin dent. That case exploded because it went off outside the chamber with something preventing the bullet from exiting the case.

Like, the person had a loose round in the chamber and was holding the slide back and trying to dump it out, but the slide slipped out of his hand, the extractor impacted the primer while the round was in the ejector port.

Like, the person had a loose round in the chamber and was holding the slide back and trying to dump it out, but the slide slipped out of his hand, the extractor impacted the primer while the round was in the ejector port.

Ah yes, I can see that happening now! The ejection port holds the bullet in place while the extractor hits the primer and boom goes the case. Someone needed to change their shorts after that I bet!

Back
Top Bottom