Guide To Gun Rights in your MA Town - 2020 + Edition

Update: After 4-5 weeks I called the PD and spoke with the licensing officer to verify my application was complete and that the proof of residency was received, he confirmed receipt and told me that due to the back log he wouldn’t be able to get my application into the computer until Christmas or maybe New Years.

In the time since I spoke with the licensing officer, I called the firearms records bureau in late November, just after Thanksgiving and I was not yet entered for a renewal, but she did show my expired LTC.

Today, I called the firearms records bureau again. This time I was asked for my expired LTC number and then asked for my name and DOB for verification. (Previously asked for last name, first name and DOB). She told me that I have a renewal application pending, I asked if my background check was completed, she said everything is pending. I was curious so I asked if I would have the same LTC number or if I would be assigned a new one, she said a new number would be assigned. I asked if she knew the new number and she said its pending… maybe Im confused but when I got my original LTC, I was entered into MIRCS, fingerprinted and photographed and I was given a copy of the computer printed application with the application number which is the LTC number once approved.

Anyway, just happy to have the ball rolling again.
Another update.

I received a receipt today showing my info being entered into the system.

One difficult aspect is there are easy issue towns that will stab you in the back if you so much as fart out of turn.

So it is difficult even most of the time to figure out how "green" they really are without inside information.

Not to mention a ton of them have obstructionist crap (reference letters) etc, but usually most of them only do that on the
new apps. So its much harder to find data.

Not saying the guys thing isnt crap but its a lot of work tracking all that shit. I have to get to updating our thread here, as a matter of fact...
yews but being denied an LTC is different than getting a restricted LTC. He is claiming many towns will deny your application. I think his wording dodges some very important nuance.

anyone know how long it takes for the Canton, MA police department to follow up in regard to an LTC app?
I submitted my paperwork about 2 months ago with no follow up in regards to references or interview. Is that normal? Any info in regard to Cantons process and timeline would be great!

anyone know how long it takes for the Canton, MA police department to follow up in regard to an LTC app?
I submitted my paperwork about 2 months ago with no follow up in regards to references or interview. Is that normal? Any info in regard to Cantons process and timeline would be great!
The last I heard of Canton was that were slow and only issued class B, restricted. But that was early 2008, class B isnt even being issued anymore. I heard it was the chief who was not 2nd friendly. “Your lucky to be getting a class B, and your only getting that so we don’t get sued”

I hope its changed!

The last I heard of Canton was that were slow and only issued class B, restricted. But that was early 2008, class B isnt even being issued anymore. I heard it was the chief who was not 2nd friendly. “Your lucky to be getting a class B, and your only getting that so we don’t get sued”

I hope its changed!
That info is very old and outdated. They changed their policy many years ago. LTC-B is long gone per MGL and Canton had been issuing unrestricted LTC-A for many years now. No idea on how swift/slow they are these days . . . many PDs blame it on COVID, but it is a thankless job for them and thus a very low priority (referring to all of MA PDs, none in particular).

That info is very old and outdated. They changed their policy many years ago. LTC-B is long gone per MGL and Canton had been issuing unrestricted LTC-A for many years now. No idea on how swift/slow they are these days . . . many PDs blame it on COVID, but it is a thankless job for them and thus a very low priority (referring to all of MA PDs, none in particular).
Glad to hear that. The “you’re lucky to be getting a class B…” would have made me a bit frustrated.

A little update for Arlington if anyone needs it. The OP says Green and Slow, which I think is pretty much true but maybe not so slow?

Applied for LTC in the fall (moved from out of state) and received it almost exactly 60 days later with no restrictions. I was told "at least 3 months" by the very nice administrative person when I got my picture and finger prints, but 2 months to the day works for me. Been going to IDPA public practice sessions at HSC, to brush off the rust (there is a lot). Hoping to join that club as it seems perfect.

Called FRB, local PD approved my LTC renewal application. Was told its “pending activation”, she said it has not been printed yet, it will be printed and sent to local pd where it will be activated and then I will be notified for pickup or maybe mailed out.

Anyone know how long it takes to print? I heard they are batch printed, but Im not certain of this.

My guns are locked in a friend’s safe (an ltc holder) and I would like to give him back the extra space and bring my stuff home again.

Thanks

My guns are locked in a friend’s safe (an ltc holder) and I would like to give him back the extra space and bring my stuff home again.

When did you submit your renewal?
Says they’re printing applications approved by local PD between 12/6 and 12/19.

Did you submit your application to local PD prior to license expiration? Did you get the MIRCS receipt? If so, your current LTC is valid indefinitely until a new license is received or you’re denied.

When did you submit your renewal?
Says they’re printing applications approved by local PD between 12/6 and 12/19.

Did you submit your application to local PD prior to license expiration? Did you get the MIRCS receipt? If so, your current LTC is valid indefinitely until a new license is received or you’re denied.
LTC expired 2011

10/27: LTC renewal submitted
12/15: received receipt for LTC renewal
12/28: appointment for both sons to be photographed and fingerprinted for FID (another town)

1/10 Called FRB, LTC application pending approval from PD

1/14 Called FRB, both FID approved and pending printing. Since I was already on the phone, I asked about my LTC renewal again.. now approved and also pending printing, FRB confirmed LTC is unrestricted. FBR stated that she could not even guess as to when it would be printed.

Looks like my kids will get their FIDs about the same time as I will get my LTC

Even if my LTC expired 10 years before submitting my renewal?
Yes and no to that.

When I wrote the above, you hadn't clarified that you waited 10 yrs to renew.

However, MGL states that anyone "caught" with guns/ammo/mags and an expired LTC or FID is NOT a criminal offense and only subject to a civil fine.

If the PD processes a renewal before expiration, you have an infinite grace period . . . assuming that the PD gives you the MIRCS receipt (which is called out in MGL as mandatory that it be provided). If you renew after expiration (or the PD doesn't process your app until after expiration), MGL gives you 90 day grace period.

Yes and no to that.

When I wrote the above, you hadn't clarified that you waited 10 yrs to renew.

However, MGL states that anyone "caught" with guns/ammo/mags and an expired LTC or FID is NOT a criminal offense and only subject to a civil fine.

If the PD processes a renewal before expiration, you have an infinite grace period . . . assuming that the PD gives you the MIRCS receipt (which is called out in MGL as mandatory that it be provided). If you renew after expiration (or the PD doesn't process your app until after expiration), MGL gives you 90 day grace period.
So I can carry now with my expired LTC and receipt?

No. You have a 90 day grace period that expired in 2011. At this point if you possess guns/ammo you will get a fine. You won’t go to jail. However I suspect you would become unsuitable in the Chiefs eyes.

Caveats to the "expired license" loophole. It does not apply if:
1) You have become statutory ineligible to have an LTC
2) You have subsequently applied for an LTC and been denied.

Boxborough - I know its a small town but I’m still surprised. After all the research I was expecting at least 6 weeks of wait time.

So I brought in my application on 01/05, asked a few questions in regards to the process, while I was there. The officer came out and told me to come back in 2 hours for the finger print (surprised already).
We talked a little while he was taking my prints (I’m guessing now that this was the “interview”) and he said the process usually takes from 6-8 weeks. I gave him the $100 check and went home.
I checked my bank account every day to see if if the check was deposited, and still till this day it hasn’t been.
So I received a call yesterday 01/20 from the police station telling me my Class A unrestricted LTC was ready for pickup. “whaaaaatt?? no way!!” yes sirrr!!! 15 days after the application. That has to be a record!!

p.s. date of issue: 01/10 - FIVE days after application!!

picking up first baby tomorrow for sure!!!

Last edited:
Boxborough - I know its a small town but I’m still surprised. After all the research I was expecting at least 6 weeks of wait time.

So I brought in my application on 01/05, asked a few questions in regards to the process, while I was there. The officer came out and told me to come back in 2 hours for the finger print (surprised already).
We talked a little while he was taking my prints (I’m guessing now that this was the “interview”) and he said the process usually takes from 6-8 weeks. I gave him the $100 check and went home.
I checked my bank account every day to see if if the check was deposited, and still till this day it hasn’t been.
So I received a call yesterday 01/20 from the police station telling me my Class A unrestricted LTC was ready for pickup. “whaaaaatt?? no way!!” yes sirrr!!! 15 days after the application. That has to be a record!!

p.s. date of issue: 01/10 - FIVE days after application!!

picking up first baby tomorrow for sure!!!
Thats faster than NH and Maine non-res!

I was told 12 weeks for my LTC and my kids (under 18) in a diff town was 16 weeks.

I dropped off my LTC app in late Oct and still waiting for my renewal (expired years ago)

Update:

Just called FRB, my unrestricted LTC has been approved by local chief, approved by FRB and all background checks are completed. Lic is awaiting printing, she told me they are printed on Fridays and it *might* be printed today and mailed to local pd on Monday. If all that is true, then I will have it next weekend.

Last edited:
Also posted in MA gun laws under Weymouth, MA Requires Live Fire.

For anybody picking up a RENEWAL LTC in Weymouth, the LO does not want to release your new license to you BEFORE the date of expiration for your old license without confiscating your old license. DO NOT relinquish your old unexpired license. You would probably be okay, but your new license does not activate before your old one expires.

Note, this is not in writing, nor is it for any good reason except it is his policy (verbal). Nor does this technically follow the letter of the law.

2 months ago, he did give me my renewal early, after I explained EOPS cancels your old one on your Bday and if you have a new one already it automatically would be activated and that I was aware of how to ensure it was active in their system.

2 months later he tried the same thing to my wife, (I was there) and I attempted to educate him on this again, but he put up a light stink so I backed down (she has never bought a firearm but does shoot, I'm more concerned about her having to use a firearm in a SD scenario).

He wanted to take her old (unexpired) license and hand her the new one (not activated). We told him that we would be back to pick up the new one after the old one expires. Which he was okay with.

If this is town policy, it should be in writing. But they won't do that after the last time they got sued for wonky policies. Smart on their part, but I also don't think this is done maliciously. I can understand his reasoning. He likely is concerned that someone will shred their old license prematurely and then attempt to purchase on their new one, not knowing it is not activated yet. Or that they will lose the new one and require a replacement while waiting for it to become active.

Really what should happen is that he explains to the person receiving the renewal license, if it is early, that the old license is active until the expiration date and to continue using it until that time. And to not lose the new one. But this is a nanny state.

For anybody picking up a RENEWAL LTC in Weymouth, the LO does not want to release your new license to you BEFORE the date of expiration for your old license without confiscating your old license. DO NOT relinquish your old unexpired license. You would probably be okay, but your new license does not activate before your old one expires.

Note, this is not in writing, nor is it for any good reason except it is his policy (verbal). Nor does this technically follow the letter of the law.

2 months ago, he did give me my renewal early, after I explained EOPS cancels your old one on your Bday and if you have a new one already it automatically would be activated and that I was aware of how to ensure it was active in their system.

2 months later he tried the same thing to my wife, (I was there) and I attempted to educate him on this again, but he put up a light stink so I backed down (she has never bought a firearm but does shoot, I'm more concerned about her having to use a firearm in a SD scenario).

He wanted to take her old (unexpired) license and hand her the new one (not activated). We told him that we would be back to pick up the new one after the old one expires. Which he was okay with.

If this is town policy, it should be in writing. But they won't do that after the last time they got sued for wonky policies. Smart on their part, but I also don't think this is done maliciously. I can understand his reasoning. He likely is concerned that someone will shred their old license prematurely and then attempt to purchase on their new one, not knowing it is not activated yet. Or that they will lose the new one and require a replacement while waiting for it to become active.

Really what should happen is that he explains to the person receiving the renewal license, if it is early, that the old license is active until the expiration date and to continue using it until that time. And to not lose the new one. But this is a nanny state.
I would report this to [email protected] (@Knuckle Dragger) immediately! Without the old/unexpired LTC, you can't buy or sell anything including ammo.

What they are doing is NOT in compliance with the law or the intent of the law. Weymouth has always been wonky on LTCs and I think that they have been sued before and lost on other BS issues.

Whats the big deal about having a current (valid) lic and a new (not active yet) lic? Only one is valid, why can’t you have both? I still have my expired ltc

My son is 14 and his FID is will be printed and mailed to him before his 15th bday.. by law he can (with parental approval) apply at the age of 14 but not be issued an FID until 15 years old. The licensing officer said he will get his FID before his 15th birthday but it won’t be activated until his 15th bday and his issue date on the FID will be his 15th bday.. he will grt exactly 6 years lol

Last edited:
I have USPS “informed delivery” it shows a picture of all incoming mail before delivery.

Got a letter being delivered today from local PD!

Yesterdays call to the PD, told I was issued LTC A unrestricted.

I have also been communicating with another applicant in the same town via reddit, his LTC was also delivered today with a hunting and Target restriction, apparently previously holding an unrestricted LTC in another town without any problems means something.

Back
Top Bottom