Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's straightforward, no BS, no intimidation, no leading questions, no looking for an excuse to deny you.

He's not in a position to change the departmental policy, it's set by someone else. He's doing what he can.

A lot of PD's make the officer who's their biggest off duty gun enthusiast the licensing officer. Much of the time, that officer is coincidentally very pro-2A in their personal views.

Turned in my renewal paperwork today in South Hadley (my permit expires 9/01/12). Have had either "Personal Protection" or "No Restrictions" ever since I have been here. Hopefully it will continue. Dispatcher said I shoukd get a call in a week or so from the Sgt who processes these.

Got a call last night (Saturday) at about 5:00pm from the Sgt who processes our license requests. Can I come in Monday evening at around 8:00pm? Fine by me.

More to follow.

Update: Met with the Sgt tonight. Took forever, maybe even 14 minutes to do everything! In, looked over my application that was in the computer, took my finger print with MIRCS, reviewed and signed the form, gave him my $100, and that was it. Even had some time for small talk. Friendly but very professional, says there should be no problem to renew my LTC-A No Restrictions. Expect 6-8 weeks but I have 90 days grace period if for some reason it does take longer.

Last edited:
Report from Bridgewater. First time applicant, and after only waiting 24 days from the day I submitted my application, I just received my LTC Class A. Restricted to Hunting & Target, but like others have reported, I was told that after a year of keeping my nose clean I can request to have the restrictions lifted and the Chief will approve. I can live with that. A 24 day turn around might be a new world record, too. The Sergeant that processes the applications was very helpful and positive throughout the procedure. Now the age old question: GP100 or 686....

Just an update on Bridgewater. I did this over a year ago now but after having my Class A Restricted to Target & Hunting for about 13 months, I called the issuing officer and submitted a letter to the cheif requesting my restrictions to be removed and about two weeks later my new license was ready for pick up as originally promised by the issuing officer. I went and exchanged my license for a new one that read LTC-A Restrictions: NONE. I was very pleased with the process and happy that the Sergeant kept his word, but I wasn't surprised, he's a great guy. The Chief at the time was the interim Chief, but now he is the sworn in Chief so I assume the same process is in place. Anyone recently apply in Bridgewater?

Fitchburg should stay Green, only issue is actually getting an appointment to turn in your paperwork. This took almost 3 months and a call to Jen Flanders my State Senator. Once we got it, everything was smooth sailing. Very friendly Detective, licenses for my wife and I came back ~6 weeks LTC-A No Restrictions. Although the antiquated computer system they use is insane, and ink for fingerprints??? Don't they have hand scanners yet?

Fitchburg should stay Green, only issue is actually getting an appointment to turn in your paperwork. This took almost 3 months and a call to Jen Flanders my State Senator. Once we got it, everything was smooth sailing. Very friendly Detective, licenses for my wife and I came back ~6 weeks LTC-A No Restrictions. Although the antiquated computer system they use is insane, and ink for fingerprints??? Don't they have hand scanners yet?
I got scanned via computer at my interview and I said "Thats a lot easier than the old fashioned way" and he told me "Oh no, you're still getting inked." I think the ink prints go to the automatic fingerprint system. Once they are in the national "system", I believe you are all set.
LenS posted a great description of the process here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/155593-MA-LTC-FID-Application-Process

Tell you what's really frustrating about MA licensing. It's been 5 weeks since I visited the police for my renewal, but at the time they said 6-8 weeks, "don't worry you have a 90 day grace period if it takes longer" (which really sucks if you see something you want to buy, as I don't know anyone who will do a transfer with an expired license). Really wonder why it takes that long, in any case when the local state check takes a few minutes and the FBI check takes about the same for any transfer? I renewed my PA license, they did their checks in about the same time and less than 20 minutes after walking in I walked out with my new license and it was $20 not $100 plus the wait.

IT sucks, my Police Department only does them one night a month from 6 to 7 PM for FIDs or LTCs.

Mine is up in August, I wanted to go last month but I was to sick to get out of bed, now I have to wait till the 2nd Wednesday in July and then hope I get it back in time.

Yeah! Finally got my LTC w/no restrictions! I took the class on 4/21, met with the licensing officer on 5/3 and picked up my LTC on 6/29. So 8 weeks and 1 day from the meeting I received my license.

It all depends on the town. I am a new applicant and was printed using the scanner only.

Did you notice that they then printed out the fingerprints to send to the SP, since the SP can't deal with electronic fingerprints?

I had my prints done upon renewal in Waltham, on an electronic scanner. They printed them for the SP for exactly this reason.

Looks like they are caught up! This was just posted within the past couple hours:

"As of July 3rd, 2012 the FRB is currently approving and printing licenses that were submitted for review by police departments between June 28th - July 2nd."

Sorry for my ignorance but does that mean with the above post that if you applied during those dates you may have a shorter wait time than the 6-8 weeks process? And could anyone tell me what is the "FRB" again sorry.

Sorry for my ignorance but does that mean with the above post that if you applied during those dates you may have a shorter wait time than the 6-8 weeks process? And could anyone tell me what is the "FRB" again sorry.

no, it means that if your PD actually SUBMITTED the application during that time, then the FRB is finally processing them. If your PD has dragged their feet and not actually submitted yet, then you are stuck waiting.....

no, it means that if your PD actually SUBMITTED the application during that time, then the FRB is finally processing them. If your PD has dragged their feet and not actually submitted yet, then you are stuck waiting.....
I look at the status updates the FRB website is posting to be a big middle finger to the local PDs since the PD are the ones always saying "its the state thats holding things up".
I am officially on day 43 (out of the mandated 40 days max) since my "interview" and when I call the PD up this week to follow up (I'm sure they will try to blame the state) I will now have this ammunition to say "Sorry, they are up to date".

Osofast said:

FRB = Firearms Records Bureau, part of the Executive Office of Public Safety, which is part of the executive branch of the state government. In other words, they report to Deval.

Still waiting on my LTC in Mansfield. Application was submitted on May 22nd. Another town that doesn't follow the 40 day "rule".

Removal of restrictions in Newton

Has anyone out there from Newton been able to get their restrictions removed? The issuing officer told me when I got my restricted LTC-A a few years ago that all 1st issued LTCs have T&H restrictions. I'm curious if anyone has managed to get them removed. Before expiration? On renewal?

If you have, please post or PM me with what was involved.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom