• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little confused. Aren't finger printing and photographs supposed to be taken at the time of dropping off the application? I picked up the app packet and dropped it off the next day. They said they'd call me for finger printing and photos. Been a week or so and haven't heard anything. Assuming I'll stay in this limbo for a while?

First time post, so forgive me if this isn't the perfect forum for this question. I realize after skimming here that this is mostly about town colors and experiences with wait times. My question is, has anyone had issues with open carrying in MA? I have my LTC-A unrestricted in Lynn, and I always CC because of the silly taboo/fear the rest of this state seems to have with firearms. I don't intend to walk Nahant beach with a Colt Sporter on my back (as much as I would love to), but what are some good laws to keep in mind should I try to have my Beretta on my hip in the hotter months? Thanks -Zach

What you are referring to is open carry. It may be legal in Massachusetts and some even allege that they have done it. Nobody wants to make a test case of it at this time because people have been prosecuted for accidentally displaying their firearms.

I recommend that you search open carry in Massachusetts. There have been many threads and reference on this forum regarding that topic.

If your Beretta is a Model 92 then you need to do one of several things: dress around the gun or get a smaller gun that conceals better for those times when you can't dress around the gun. The Beretta 92 (M9) was designed to be a military holster pistol, open carried. Even military investigative units that work in plain clothes carry the Sig P228 (M11) a much more compact pistol.

There are those who do carry the Beretta concealed and maybe they can give you some hot weather carry tips.

I'm thinking that you are a newer shooter who bought the Beretta because of its "cool factor" because that's what the US military carries, no? For the civilian cc shooter there are much better choices for an EDC (everyday carry) and better choices overall in a defensive pistol. The Beretta is certainly "good enough" in its intended role, but certainly not "the best" and that is probably a more objective than subjective statement.

I'm a little confused. Aren't finger printing and photographs supposed to be taken at the time of dropping off the application? I picked up the app packet and dropped it off the next day. They said they'd call me for finger printing and photos. Been a week or so and haven't heard anything. Assuming I'll stay in this limbo for a while?

There is no possible way to predict this. Sorry, that's the way it is. Every town is different, depending on the moon phase.

Hi All,

I'm new on NES, but thought I'd check in for Quincy!
Applied September 9th, finger prints and photo.
License was received in hand by December 9th, so 3 months all together!
Though I made the appointment to drop off my application in April....
All together mid April - December, about 8 months.

Received my LTC-A with Target & Hunting Restriction...though they said it was only because I was under 25 and that all I'd need to do is write a letter to the chief after turning 25 to get it removed...we will see how that process goes as my Birthday is in March!

Going in later this month to apply for LTC after making my appointment last august in Worcester. Took the safety class at the Worcester PD HQ.

Given the Comm2A case vs certain MA CLEO's can I put down just ALP for Reason(s) for requesting the issuance of a card or license?

Or is more elaborate reasons required?

Just put ALP, thats all I did and it was fine.

That's what I did, and it was fine, but some towns (CoPs) won't accept that, and require a more detailed "reason". I would try it, and see what happens.

The real reason is, they don't want people to carry guns. IMO they're looking for a reason to issue you a "restricted" LTC. In other words, if you mention hunting, or target shooting, that's what they will give you.

From my experience in Lynn, the woman who dealt with the entire process was very polite and didn't give me the third degree for applying. Timing was about 12 weeks which seemed pretty fast to me since I applied right after Sandy Hook. I don't think I ever ended up having to talk to the police chief either which I found interesting.
I don't know how big of an impact it was but I feel references make or break an application. I'm sure having a buddy who's former SF helped.

From my experience in Lynn, the woman who dealt with the entire process was very polite and didn't give me the third degree for applying. Timing was about 12 weeks which seemed pretty fast to me since I applied right after Sandy Hook. I don't think I ever ended up having to talk to the police chief either which I found interesting.
I don't know how big of an impact it was but I feel references make or break an application. I'm sure having a buddy who's former SF helped.

This is the norm in Lynn. Timing varies on number of applications going in, but they are not ball busters. Been that way for a long time, take your application, process it. If you are clean, they don't usually mess with you.

Interesting.

While I have zero familiarity with licensing in Lynn, my first hand experience and general knowledge acquired about the application process is that the references carry by far the least amount of weight WRT discretionary latitude. I wouldn't think a LO would put much, and perhaps not any, stock in who an applicant claims to know. I mean, there's not even a field to list the phone numbers of your references on the standard state app, so I highly doubt they are even contacted. I know mine were not.

Interesting.

While I have zero familiarity with licensing in Lynn, my first hand experience and general knowledge acquired about the application process is that the references carry by far the least amount of weight WRT discretionary latitude. I wouldn't think a LO would put much, and perhaps not any, stock in who an applicant claims to know. I mean, there's not even a field to list the phone numbers of your references on the standard state app, so I highly doubt they are even contacted. I know mine were not.

I lined up great references when I applied in Franklin, just to never be asked for them at all and fill the application out on a computer at the station

Hi All,

I'm new on NES, but thought I'd check in for Quincy!
Applied September 9th, finger prints and photo.
License was received in hand by December 9th, so 3 months all together!
Though I made the appointment to drop off my application in April....
All together mid April - December, about 8 months.

Received my LTC-A with Target & Hunting Restriction...though they said it was only because I was under 25 and that all I'd need to do is write a letter to the chief after turning 25 to get it removed...we will see how that process goes as my Birthday is in March!

insane how each city/town makes their own rules---I applied in a large metro-south city/town at age 56--received t & h---told to ask for restrictions lifted after 1 year

asked and received. apparently I was smarter & more responsible after the 1 year---as the youngsters say: DUH !!!!!!

Last edited:
Both of mine were called. Maybe being 22 at the time was part of it. One of them told me I was going to get an LTC-B, but told them that I was deserving of the class A (I feel like the reference was blowing some smoke on that story...).
Either way, if you have any issues, move to beautiful, safe, and scenic Lynn! Lol

Not to mention the rights are ours NOT the chiefs. Unfortunately we live in a state where that is all too common, and we find ourselves arguing points that continue the oppression, not bringing back a constitutional approach.

I am in the process of applying for a renewal of my LTC in North Andover (LTC A no restrictions). Can anyone share their recent experiences in North Andover?

- - - Updated - - -

I am in the process of applying for a renewal of my LTC in North Andover (LTC A no restrictions). Can anyone share their recent experiences in North Andover?

Just received my Class a no restrictions in one month start to finish. Applied Dec 27, interview on January 4th, and received license in mail yesterday January 27. This is in Taunton and it was my first time applying for ltc, I just turned 21.

I had a family member get a class A no restrictions in a red town recently with very little hassle. I suspect that the age and gender of the applicant may play a role in just how "red" the town actually is. Not that it makes it right, but it's something worth noting.

Any new updates on renewing in Medford?

I've heard that Medford is still a red town + their application process now requires an appointment!!!!! For an application?!?! [rolleyes]

My gf told me yesterday that she wants to take the course and get her LTC. Music to my ears. Now only if her town were green. Ugh, now she has to use work as an excuse to exercise her 2A right. Awesome. All because she doesn't feel safe closing as a retail manager late at night in a bad area. How do these "chiefs" sleep at night?

Revere restricts to target and hunting for the first 6 years. Upon renewal, you will have the restriction removed for an ALP license. If you're an active business (need proof) you will receive an ALP license first application.

Im a lil late on this but I applied in june and got my ltc alp in October from dighton they are very green and the leo was tellimg me what kind of guns he has and was a great guy we even go shooting every once and a while

just got my ltc a from Brewster. Restricted to target and hunting :(
Took 4 months from application, funny enough I got my ltc faster than my fid.

Just received my Class A Large Capacity Restrictions: Sporting from New Bedford.
Took 9 months to get application interview which was on 1/21/2014. So 24 days to get my licences after interview/application.

An update for Worcester.

7/13 took the class @ WPD
next day, set an appointment for fingerprinting, etc. For mid November/2013...
11/13, fingerprints, gave them money. They told me to call back in February.
2/6/14. LTC card ordered by WPD from the state.
2/20/14. Picked up my LTC-A, No restriction card.

So that's ~4 months to get an appointment, and ~3 months for WPD to approve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom