• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is NOT correct. I'm sure LenS or one of the more knowledgeable people on the forum will chime in soon, but your license is controlled by the issuing town until it expires. Some towns will early expire licenses, but some towns won't. If you get a restricted license, as I did, you could very well be stuck with it for the full 6 years no matter how green the town you move to is.

Josh is spot-on. This is how it works!

yup, if you can get Lowell to agree to it, they CAN do it. Will they? only one way to ask.

Now, if they do, you will have a short time frame with no LTC. I would suggest planning appropriately for that "gap"

Agree but note that according to the Director of FRB, that "gap" is considered a renewal with the 90 day grace period being applicable.

I wouldn't bet my freedom on the FRB's interpretation, but that's just me. I'd not carry, just keep them at home. But again, that's just me.

LAWRENCE is a red town. The Lt. will issue a restricted class A for target & hunting only and will consider lifting that restriction within 1-2 years if you provide proof of taking some live fire/ concealed carry / judgement classes .. And/or joined a gun club for a year.

Just had my meeting with Capt. Carrabino in Somerville - he was very straight forward and up front about everything. After the interview, he told me that I'd be getting a Class A with no restrictions as long as my background check was clear. Like El_Guapo77 said further up in this thread, it looks like the Captain just wants to make sure you've got a clean background and are a responsible individual. I'll report back once I get the license in the mail, but it looks like Somerville may be going green!

Capt. Carrabino sounds like a good guy. Let's keep our eye on Somerville as a new chief will be coming in soon now that Pasquarello has retired.

Anyone know if i could get Lowell to expire my license early so that I can reapply in Chelmsford? Chelmsford's chief won't overrule another chief's decision on restrictions and I don't want to wait 6 years

Yes you can! As long as you now live in Chelmsford. The problem lies, is that there is nothing saying that Lowell HAS to expire your license early. It is entirely the chiefs decision to do so. Good luck!

yup, if you can get Lowell to agree to it, they CAN do it. Will they? only one way to ask.

Now, if they do, you will have a short time frame with no LTC. I would suggest planning appropriately for that "gap"

Josh is spot-on. This is how it works!
Agree but note that according to the Director of FRB, that "gap" is considered a renewal with the 90 day grace period being applicable.

Thanks for all the input guys. Talked to both towns, if I apply for a new license in Chelmsford then Lowell has agreed to expire my license early. I'll keep track here of when I apply and how long it takes. I have to get two letters of recommendation and I'm leaving Thursday for new jersey for racing so I'll probably start that process Monday.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Just had my meeting with Capt. Carrabino in Somerville - he was very straight forward and up front about everything. After the interview, he told me that I'd be getting a Class A with no restrictions as long as my background check was clear. Like El_Guapo77 said further up in this thread, it looks like the Captain just wants to make sure you've got a clean background and are a responsible individual. I'll report back once I get the license in the mail, but it looks like Somerville may be going green!

I can vouch for him taking the restriction off my LTC I wrote a letter then he called me and we had a very pleasant phone conversation dont know if things will change when thy pick a new Chief but it does look like Somerville is Green at the moment

Last mention of Shirley in this thread is 2011. Can anyone confirm if Shirley is still green?

I know of one instance where Springfield issued a license with "Restrictions: None. "

Previously they would list "Protection" in that space in order to allow concealed carry.

That license renewal was also completed in less than 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Dracut: My 1st LTC-A renewal = Restrictions: NONE.

There were no special circumstance for me (ie work or business ownership)

(1st licence was restricted out of Lowell). I am very pleased!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone else have positive news from Dracut, historically they were red, but maybe something changed?

Last guy I talked to from Dracut told me that the initial LTC is restricted and you upgrade to unrestricted upon renewal. This was about 9 months ago.

I wouldn't bet my freedom on the FRB's interpretation, but that's just me. I'd not carry, just keep them at home. But again, that's just me.

It makes sense if you think about it. If you have paperwork in at the new "green town" PD and its in as a renewal, there is a 90 day grace period associated with such... no different than if your license "expired" the old fashioned way. The only crappy thing during that interval is you can't really buy anything until you get your new license.

-Mike

About 1/3 of the LTCs they've issued or renewed in the last two years have been restricted. While they may lift restrictions upon renewal, they're still demonstrably one of the worst departments in the state.

Oh I'm well aware, I still have family there.

To add, my +1 comment wasn't for Dracut going green.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Family member got unrestricted class A in Canton. Took about a month from reapply to receive LTC. Looks like Canton is trending towards green. I am going to reapply this month and hopefully have restrictions removed as well.

Family member got unrestricted class A in Canton. Took about a month from reapply to receive LTC. Looks like Canton is trending towards green. I am going to reapply this month and hopefully have restrictions removed as well.

Seems like Canton has changed their policy from always restricted to no restrictions. If you can find out from them why they changed their policy, let us know.

Seems like Canton has changed their policy from always restricted to no restrictions. If you can find out from them why they changed their policy, let us know.

I think the question to be posed would be "if" they have changed their policy. Who really cares why they may have changed their policy? If they are now granting unrestricted LTCs as a general policy then who cares why? [wink]

was it a first time application or a renewal? Additionally, did they have any special circumstances that applied to them that might have swayed the LO?

was it a first time application or a renewal? Additionally, did they have any special circumstances that applied to them that might have swayed the LO?

This was a renewal from Class B to Class A. No special circumstances. I scheduled my appointment for this Wednesday to renew.

This was a renewal from Class B to Class A. No special circumstances. I scheduled my appointment for this Wednesday to renew.
Unfortunately, I can PROMISE you, Canton is not trending towards green. It is absolutely a training wheels town. That being said, when you get issued your LTC B, and do your year of time in that friggin purgatory, come reapply ( and of course pay your $100 again) and you will indeed get your LTC A, usually unrestricted. What time are you coming in on Wednesday Syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom