• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great...

How about Lexington? Belmont?

I got "Restrictions: None" in Belmont a couple of months ago, first time issue. I had to get a couple of reference letters from friends and I had to write a letter to the chief of police asking for unrestricted. Story is further up in the thread. Other than that it seems they mostly issue NR based on Comm2A's data. I'm not sure if they require the reference letters on renewal; I think the letter to the chief is for first-timers only.

Peabody - I was 23y/o and applied for an LTC-A in Peabody in April 2010. Received LTC-A in late Aug/early Sept - RESTRICTIONS: TARGET/HUNTING.

Dropped off my 1st renewal on 9/27/15. Got call from Detective on 9/28 and dropped off pmt at that time. Received new LTC in mail today..... LTC-A Restrictions: NONE Halle-friggn-lujah

Thanks to Comm2A and all who continue to support them.

I think Framingham should be Green again.Wife just picked up her license today. No restrictions on a first time applicant with no background other than shooting with me.The licensing officer intimated to me when I had my restrictions lifted last year that his policy is more or less "I don't see the point of issuing restricted licenses. Either I think you should have one, or you shouldn't." That's a big change from the previous CoP and Licensing Officer.
That's good to hear, I just moved to Framingham this summer. Currently unrestricted and dont renew for another 3 years, but want to get my girlfriend her license. She did the WOT class last summer, and had a license in FL for short time before becoming a resident here. Just have to remind her again to get it together.

- - - Updated - - -

Wife and I had interview today in Hopkinton. Lasted about 45 minutes. Basically, told that we are only going to get restricted. Can have restrictions lifted after 9 to 12 months.

Well, emailed PD two weeks ago (year anniversary). Wife and I are now unrestricted! Going to pick up new LTC this week.

Check out Reading. It's green now.

Is this a result of a policy change, or anecdotes here?

The Reading PD website still has a bunch of hoops including three references letters (even for renewals if the original LTC was from elsewhere), and you have to re-submit your safety course certificate for *all* renewals. There's also a "lost or stolen gun affidavit" for all renewals.

That sounds a bit less than "pure green", if I understand the working definition of the term.

It may be time to change Woburn to "Orange, unrestricted LTC renewals remain unrestricted."

While it appears that licenses for first-time applicants or those renewing restricted licenses are issued with restrictions, those with unrestricted licenses are able to renew them as such.

Can I ask how you found this out? Your experience, experiences of people you know personally, conversation with the licensing officer? I'm not challenging you, just want to know how solid the info is.

I'm looking to upgrade my living arrangements. Woburn would be attractive to me for all kinds of reasons, except for their pesky reputation of issuing restricted LTCs.

I currently have an unrestricted LTC and it would be great if they'd renew it that way.

Can I ask how you found this out? Your experience, experiences of people you know personally, conversation with the licensing officer? I'm not challenging you, just want to know how solid the info is.

I'm looking to upgrade my living arrangements. Woburn would be attractive to me for all kinds of reasons, except for their pesky reputation of issuing restricted LTCs.

I currently have an unrestricted LTC and it would be great if they'd renew it that way.

One thing to remember is that your current LTC stays valid with its current (lack of) restrictions, until it expires; even if you move. Between now and when that expiration date, towns can change.

Is this a result of a policy change, or anecdotes here?

The Reading PD website still has a bunch of hoops including three references letters (even for renewals if the original LTC was from elsewhere), and you have to re-submit your safety course certificate for *all* renewals. There's also a "lost or stolen gun affidavit" for all renewals.

That sounds a bit less than "pure green", if I understand the working definition of the term.

Green is green. They issue unrestricted.

One thing to remember is that your current LTC stays valid with its current (lack of) restrictions, until it expires; even if you move. Between now and when that expiration date, towns can change.

Oh, that's true, and that had occurred to me, too. However, you're playing that lottery no matter where you move to; or, even, for that matter, if you stay in the same place. Anywhere can get a new police chief who can shake up the existing issuance policy.

However, the reality is that when one chief gets replaced by another, the LTC issuance policy usually doesn't change much, if at all. And on the gripping hand, the trend in recent years, if anything, has been towards more permissive issuance.

*DING* The color strictly refers to the restriction (or lack thereof) on the LTC, not on the process.

Hunh. Has this changed on NES's part in recent years? I could swear that when I started reading here many years ago, requiring "extra" stuff like reference letters, a doctor's note, or the like would earn a town "red" status as well, regardless of whether the town issued NR once you'd jumped through all the hoops.

Some of that nonsense is relatively easy to get, just annoying (like a couple of reference letters); other things are rather more difficult, e.g. a doctor's note stating that you have no physical or mental infirmities that would make it unsafe for you to possess firearms, or membership in a gun club (don't most of those want to see your LTC/FID on application?).

Oh and if the "extra" stuff doesn't matter any more then Belmont should be switched from "red" to "green". I got NR there as a first-time applicant and there's nothing "special" about me. No LE or political connections, no occupation like transporting large amounts of cash or valuable tools, etc.

Last edited:
Hunh. Has this changed on NES's part in recent years? I could swear that when I started reading here many years ago, requiring "extra" stuff like reference letters, a doctor's note, or the like would earn a town "red" status as well, regardless of whether the town issued NR once you'd jumped through all the hoops.

Some of that nonsense is relatively easy to get, just annoying (like a couple of reference letters); other things are rather more difficult, e.g. a doctor's note stating that you have no physical or mental infirmities that would make it unsafe for you to possess firearms, or membership in a gun club (don't most of those want to see your LTC/FID on application?).

Oh and if the "extra" stuff doesn't matter any more then Belmont should be switched from "red" to "green". I got NR there as a first-time applicant and there's nothing "special" about me. No LE or political connections, no occupation like transporting large amounts of cash or valuable tools, etc.

No, it hasn't changed. If you look at the first post, it tells you exactly what red, green, yellow means. People add in their own rulings, but based on the first post, it has not actually changed.

Salem is green

That's good news. They used to be very red, and are listed as red in Comm2A's 2014 licensing data, with only 66% of their licenses issued unrestricted.

If this is based on personal experience, care to tell us about it? First-time issue, or renewal? Did you move into Salem with an unrestricted license that was issued elsewhere? (Some chiefs have the policy that if you have NR when you move in, they'll renew that way, but otherwise won't issue NR.) Are there any special circumstances that apply to you that might have swayed the decision? Business owner, special risks like carrying large amounts of cash for work, friends in law enforcement?

Salem is green

That's good news. They used to be very red, and are listed as red in Comm2A's 2014 licensing data, with only 66% of their licenses issued unrestricted.

If this is based on personal experience, care to tell us about it? First-time issue, or renewal? Did you move into Salem with an unrestricted license that was issued elsewhere? (Some chiefs have the policy that if you have NR when you move in, they'll renew that way, but otherwise won't issue NR.) Are there any special circumstances that apply to you that might have swayed the decision? Business owner, special risks like carrying large amounts of cash for work, friends in law enforcement?

Comm2A's recent anecdotal experience on Salem is mixed. It seems like some people are getting unrestricted LTCs and some are getting the "we usually restricted first time applicants" routine. I'm not quite ready to switch the light just yet.

I was interviewed by the chief and there was no problem. My friend by a sergeant last year, same thing. Maybe things have changed for the better.

I just saw that Reading will be getting a new chief. Not sure about his views on LTCs. Chief Cormier has been much better since the law changes earlier this year. I'll have to do some digging and see how the new chief will be. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450038901.004399.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Went down to Attleboro PD this morning. I had applied for my Class A ALP in 2013. I had waited 20 weeks and finally gotten it with T&H Restriction. I was informed by the clerk and Chief Heagney that I could come back when i turned 25 to have the restrictions lifted. Well, i turned 25 in July. Finally made the time to get to the PD (licensing officer is only on 8-4, which conflicts with my work hours) I met with Officer Castro. Very nice officer. A lot more welcoming than the officer i had met with during my applicant process. Said he has been doing licensing for about a year now.

He checked over my file and said hell call me when my new license arrives! Looks like ill be treating myself to a nice little Christmas present this year! :D

Experience of folks on this forum, confirmed myself via discussing with the woman who processed my application, and verified by the unrestricted LTC sitting in my wallet. If you move into town with an unrestricted license, at this time there should be no fear of it being downgraded upon renewal.

You should be all set. Have not heard anything negative through the few folks I talked to that went through renewal/new licenses. They normally do not give out restrictions.

Hello all!

Been reading up on the forums recently, I decided to make an account. Does anyone have any recent information in regard to Marlborough, MA. How was the process? any restrictions?

Thanks in advance!

I just saw that Reading will be getting a new chief. Not sure about his views on LTCs. Chief Cormier has been much better since the law changes earlier this year. I'll have to do some digging and see how the new chief will be. View attachment 153357

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know him very well. I don't think much will change. No bs type of guy.

They are red until their stats change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom