Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts or input on renewal in Framingham? Getting ready to renew and I am wondering if they make you go through the same process(which isn't too heavy) or it is abbreviated.

Does Medford downgrade? If so, do they only at renewal or do they manage to have the issuing town cancel so they can reissue restricted?

Follow up: I dropped off my renewal app in Framingham last week. They just wanted the form (completed) and affidavit of lost firearms, along with a copy of my drivers license and utility bill. Putting aside the bureaucratic nonsense of requiring documents they can easily verify online...

They told me to come back in two Thursday's to get my picture taken, and that it would be about three months to get the new license. The woman I talked to was pleasant enough, and commented on the fact that I filled out the app completely and correctly. Apparently a lot of people both don't fill out the form completely, and they don't complete the affidavit on lost firearms. They also asked me for the phone numbers of my references, which isn't on the form. I'd like to be there if they call and get the dispatcher at MSP barracks.

For 'reason' I just put 'I am requesting this permit for personal protection and all lawful purposes', which the woman said was fine.

My mom, step-dad, and myself had no issues with Peabody. We all got unrestricted class A and came in 7 weeks. This was all within the past year. Seems like it should be green

I got a letter(pre-printed folding postcard) in the mail yesterday from MCJIS or whatever telling me that my license is soon to expire (October) and that I should begin the application for renewal process ASAP as they are having a lot of demand-driven delays.

I am going in tomorrow anyway, but I was kind of pleasantly surprised that they sent me anything at all.

My mom, step-dad, and myself had no issues with Peabody. We all got unrestricted class A and came in 7 weeks. This was all within the past year. Seems like it should be green

Thank you for this. I just recently applied, got my prints done 2 weeks ago. Now I play the waiting game.

I got a letter(pre-printed folding postcard) in the mail yesterday from MCJIS or whatever telling me that my license is soon to expire (October) and that I should begin the application for renewal process ASAP as they are having a lot of demand-driven delays.

I am going in tomorrow anyway, but I was kind of pleasantly surprised that they sent me anything at all.

Maybe they are a bit delayed, but I think it's usually mostly held up at local PD. when I checked the process it took about 1.5 weeks at the state level before the license was all set and the rest was the local PD... Even if demand has tripled the time that's only about a month in the States hands and the rest is the PD dragging their feet.

Maybe they are a bit delayed, but I think it's usually mostly held up at local PD. when I checked the process it took about 1.5 weeks at the state level before the license was all set and the rest was the local PD... Even if demand has tripled the time that's only about a month in the States hands and the rest is the PD dragging their feet.

I was at Framingham PD today getting my picture taken. He said the system is still recovering from yesterday. He told me that it has been 4 months waiting on some new LTC's to come back, but that if I do not hear back on my renewal within 7-8 weeks I should give them a call.

I really can't say whether it's a state or local thing, the officers I have talked to when applying all seem pro or neutral, but generally don't seem inclined one way or another wrt dragging their feet on your license application/renewal. I can see where restrictive towns might intentionally drag their feet, but for other towns, aside from having other work to do, intentionally keeping stuff on your to-do list makes little sense. (I know, gov't bureaucracy.)

The guy I talked to seemed unhappy about the news yesterday, and said he hoped it gets overturned somehow. He didn't think it made any sense, and told me that he knew a few people who got shut out waiting in line at one shop or another because lines were so long and NICS/MIRCS kept crashing.

Just had a random thought. Where do the residents of "Devens" apply for their LTC? The town who's traditional boundaries they are within so Harvard or Devens itself (and it is not listed at the beginning). They have their own police, pay a user fee instead of taxes, etc all in Devens. They vote in Harvard. Just curious...

Just had a random thought. Where do the residents of "Devens" apply for their LTC? The town who's traditional boundaries they are within so Harvard or Devens itself (and it is not listed at the beginning). They have their own police, pay a user fee instead of taxes, etc all in Devens. They vote in Harvard. Just curious...

Like the various villages of Newton, or neighborhoods of Boston, "Devens" is a place name that has no legal status. Its residents might have a strong sense of identity of "living in" or "being from" Devens, ilke people speak of being "from Southie" or "from Rozzie" or "from Nonantum/The Lake", but legally, they're a resident of whatever actual town their house sits in.

Web search reveals that there's some discussion as to whether the area currently known as Devens should be incorporated as a town. Could happen, who knows.

Like the various villages of Newton, or neighborhoods of Boston, "Devens" is a place name that has no legal status. Its residents might have a strong sense of identity of "living in" or "being from" Devens, ilke people speak of being "from Southie" or "from Rozzie" or "from Nonantum/The Lake", but legally, they're a resident of whatever actual town their house sits in.

Web search reveals that there's some discussion as to whether the area currently known as Devens should be incorporated as a town. Could happen, who knows.

I know in detail the status of Devens. What I was asking is LTC location. Harvard is likely but I don't know this for certain. Lots of funnies with Devens. The analogy to villages is not a good one. It has its own use fees in lieu of taxes. It's own arrangement for public schools. It's own arrangement for police and fire. It is a town in all but name. The only thing that I know reverts to Harvard is voting. This means they vote on spending but don't pay taxes on what they vote

I have no direct knowldge, but if you have to apply though the police chief, and they have a police department, would that not be where one applies?

Won't happen at least until 2020, mass development keeps it until then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to the form. I just met with the detective in charge of issuing firearms licenses this past week for a class A unrestricted. After explaining my reasoning for a class a unrestricted he agreed with me and saw no issues. I should get my license in 4-6 weeks.

i think Peabody should be changed to a green town?

New to the form. I just met with the detective in charge of issuing firearms licenses this past week for a class A unrestricted. After explaining my reasoning for a class a unrestricted he agreed with me and saw no issues. I should get my license in 4-6 weeks.

i think Peabody should be changed to a green town?

Right on!

Report back in 4-6 weeks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom