Gun Auction: Sat. May 6, In Wilton NH

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
For those that didn't see the thread about the passing of SKS Man, this is his collection going up for auction:

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2887055

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=2887055&category=0&zip=&kwd=

ESTATE FIREARMS AUCTION

Harold F. French Auction

at The Langdell Homestead Barn

697 Isaac Frye Highway Wilton, N. H.

(Isaac Frye Highway is North off Route 101 opposite Brookside Gas Station)

Saturday May 6, 2017 10:00 A.M

I knew of SKS man, Paul, always at the New England shows. Interesting, read the auction description,
cash or check only. No credit cards. Could be some bargains as a result of people not having funds to buy into this sale.

Hello! I went and previewed this auction. The auctioneer is a really nice guy! He does not know anything about guns. There is going to be an FFL there to do the transfers. The auction is in a barn. The barn has a large field beside it. More than likely after the rain all night tonight, the field will be a mud pit that's where the parking is. Obviously, I'm from NH. There is a LARGE lot of Thermold AR-15 30 round magazines. They are all marked LE/Restricted. The guns are going to sell first because those are the only thing with lot numbers on them. If you ever wanted a Romanian or Albanian SKS rifle, here's your chance, about 10 SKS rifles all together. If you are a C&R licensee there were several C&R eligible firearms. Don't know if the FFL will still charge a transfer fee to C&R license holders.
Paul, "SKS" man, use to set up at gun shows. There are huge "trays" of pistol grips. I don't know how they are going to auction these off, because they certainly couldn't do 1 set of grips at a time. Likely a "tray" at a time is going to be sold. There is a photo of ammo crates on the link. Yeah, they are all empty. There is ammo. Many different calibers, mostly in smaller packaging. Not even empty ammo cans that you could put the stuff back in. There are Korean AK-47 drums new in box, recent manufacture. There is a LARGE volume of Gun Digest books (paperback multiple years, like George the book dealer says $1.00 per book)

I was going to go to see if I could snag the box of Glock mags, but I'd only want them if they are pre-ban.

Still more details of what I saw. Apparently Paul was intending on making "SKS" rifles "ATAS", there are large boxes of side folding stocks for SKS rifles. There are high capacity Ruger 10/22 magazine (Factory BX-25 mags) There are MORE SKS slings and AK-47 slings than I've ever seen at one gun shop, mostly Chinese manufactures. There is a "coffin" size crate full of Bulgarian 10 Arsenal AK-74 30 round 5.45x39 magazines. (currently for 9.88 each at CDNN). There are boxes of "parts" that had no identification on them, only 500 written on them, I didn't know what they were. They look like a skinny letter "H". Most likely, SKS parts. There are tools, there are "socks" for guns brand new in package.
There is a P38/P1 from 1963 with a holster and extra magazine.(C&R) SVT-40 rifle with a magazine (the stock has been refinished, looks like a hunting rifle) Romanian SKS rifles NIB still have tons of grease/

- - - Updated - - -

no pre-ban Glock mags. I checked. All current production mags, including Glock 22, 22rnd magazines.

no pre-ban Glock mags. I checked. All current production mags, including Glock 22, 22rnd magazines.

The ones I could identify in the photo looked too new, but I didn't know about the mags underneath them. I'd already decided to pass, but thanks for the confirmation. I'll sleep better tonight knowing that I'm not missing out on anything!

Well, I'm not an SKS guy (right now), but there are some interesting-looking lanterns and flashlights... for the right price.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, AIM Surplus, has FREE shipping for surplus SKS parts this weekend 5/6-7/17. You don't have to buy "50" of the parts like at this auction.

Just so everybody knows, I am #18 as a bidder for this auction. I'm not discouraging anyone from attending this auction. Everybody stands a chance at this auction. The 100 guns available, mostly rifles and C&R handguns are available to anyone who comes and is either an FFL or fills out a 4473 for a long gun as a NH resident or a C&R FFL to purchase anything you can afford CASH or check. Wear boots for the mud and come to an auction that may be enjoyable!

Something else I remembered, there are about 6 ammo cans filled with "lead". Sinkers, raw lead for melting to make bullets. There are a LOT of bullet heads also in this auction. Multiple calibers.

Just so everybody knows, I am #18 as a bidder for this auction.

I was there and looked for you, I was #52 but I didn't even hear your number called as a winner on any of the guns.
#3 and #31 seemed to be buying up the whole room.
I threw in a bids on about 7 or 8 guns, but soon dropped out.
I was hoping to get a Broomhandle Mauser, but the most beat up of the four examples went for $550, while the others went as high as $750.
As for the guns, there were very few bargains to be had and I was totally shocked to see a Polytech AKS go for $2600 [shocked]
I stuck around for some of the box lots, and threw in a bid for some 10/22 mags, but got beat on those too.
However, for the stuff I wasn't interested in, there were huge bargains to be found, but what am I going to do with a box of gas tubes or case of slings ???
So, I went home with the seal on my wallet unbroken [laugh]

I was there and looked for you, I was #52 but I didn't even hear your number called as a winner on any of the guns.
#3 and #31 seemed to be buying up the whole room.
I threw in a bids on about 7 or 8 guns, but soon dropped out.
I was hoping to get a Broomhandle Mauser, but the most beat up of the four examples went for $550, while the others went as high as $750.
As for the guns, there were very few bargains to be had and I was totally shocked to see a Polytech AKS go for $2600 [shocked]
I stuck around for some of the box lots, and threw in a bid for some 10/22 mags, but got beat on those too.
However, for the stuff I wasn't interested in, there were huge bargains to be found, but what am I going to do with a box of gas tubes or case of slings ???
So, I went home with the seal on my wallet unbroken [laugh]

Agree 100%

Not an SKS guy so spent nothing also.

Was very interesting glad I went.

Kudos to Zappa for the original post, as some folks have been know to sit on these gems.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Nice twist by the local politician who bought drinks on the house (albeit soft) for the entire auction.

This was my first gun auction so I wasn't sure what to expect, I was hoping to find a bargain, but it didn't happen.
I wrote down the selling prices on all the 107 guns sold, they added up to a total of $51,825, which is an average of $485 per gun.
Also the buyers paid an additional 10% premium on top of the selling price and another $30 for the FFL transfer.
($15 for each additional transfer for the same buyer)
There were a few heavy hitters in the room that bought up most of the stuff, I presume they're dealers, but at the prices they paid I don't see much profit potential for them on the flip.

There were a whole bunch of bargains, like the Siamese Mauser or the Husqvarna that I bought. I just wish that I had gotten the holster for it too. Also scored an Izzy SKS.

Oh, you bought the Husqvarna. (lot #85)
That was on my list of possibles, cool gun but much heavier than I expected.
I threw in a bid on that but stopped at 400.
How late did you stay until the FFL was done with you ???

So funny thing about that. I had a brain fart and brought the C&R info card instead of the full license. I went back to MA at noon, came back by 4 with the C&R and the FFL line was only half done. I re-entered the line and finally got processed at 6:30. There were people behind me.

Me and Turbocharged went, between us we got some ammo, three really nice 10/22 target barrels, bunch misc. stuff when they were doing the box and tray lots (still need to go through it), and a couple sks.

Overall I thought the gun prices were good, if you were buying for yourself. If you were a store I don't see how you'd be able to mark them up much. The really big buyers weren't going for the guns. They were after the parts and accessories. A couple did buy guns but it was a small number, 6 maybe 8.

The FFL was terrible. He would handle one person at a time. Fill out the form - call it in (never seemed to be able to hear) - wait for the results - do the transfer paperwork very slowly - start the next person. Wouldn't allow the 4473 to be filled out until it was your turn and wouldn't start the next person until he got the call back and finished the current person. The sun was setting when we left and there was one more person doing a transfer. I'm sure the FFL is a really nice guy buy he was the wrong choice for this.

Yeah, I still don't get why all the 4473s couldn't be filled out and called in, then do all the C&Rs first while waiting for a response. There were 106 guns, but maybe only 20 buyers.

The auctioneer was a really nice guy. He knows absolutely nothing about guns or gun laws.After the guns were all sold, the remainder of the lots became a total cluster.Nothing had lot numbers on it. My partner and I won several of the Ruger factory 10/22 magazine lots. The guy #3 in the front row paid $4000 for the crate of the Bulgarian 30 round 5.45x39 magazines, WHY? there are not enough people in the New England area that own AK74 rifles. It was supposedly about 500 magazines.I was told he was a MA dealer. Probably jack up the price on those mags!! Several of the AK rifles that sold were actually Romanian's which use single stack 10 round magazines only.There was one lot of those magazines that sold. There were many lots of AK magazines and a lot of Thermold AR15 mags that were all marked restricted LE ONLY. I'll be listing some interesting items for sale in the classified section.

The auctioneer was a really nice guy. He knows absolutely nothing about guns or gun laws.After the guns were all sold, the remainder of the lots became a total cluster.Nothing had lot numbers on it. My partner and I won several of the Ruger factory 10/22 magazine lots. The guy #3 in the front row paid $4000 for the crate of the Bulgarian 30 round 5.45x39 magazines, WHY? there are not enough people in the New England area that own AK74 rifles. It was supposedly about 500 magazines.I was told he was a MA dealer. Probably jack up the price on those mags!! Several of the AK rifles that sold were actually Romanian's which use single stack 10 round magazines only.There was one lot of those magazines that sold. There were many lots of AK magazines and a lot of Thermold AR15 mags that were all marked restricted LE ONLY. I'll be listing some interesting items for sale in the classified section.

There was also a box of Thermold AR mags that weren't marked LE only and had date stamps pre 94

I have found from other types of auctions that there aren't many actual bargains. You just think that there are.

I wrote down the selling prices on all the 107 guns sold,

I was trying to find out what the AK Spiker (was that the one that went for $2,600?) and the Arsenal AK's sold for - any chance you post some of the sale prices or if you know of a link that you could share?

I was trying to find out what the AK Spiker (was that the one that went for $2,600?) and the Arsenal AK's sold for - any chance you post some of the sale prices or if you know of a link that you could share?

Not sure what the Spiker is, the list doesn't say that specifically.
It was a NIB Poly-Tech AKS that went for $2600 (lot#30). The other Poly- Tech (lot #7) sold for $1650
The Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-95 (lot#2) sold for $750 and the other Arsenal 7.62x39 (lot#12) sold for $800.
The Arsenal SLR-106CR (lot#36) 5.56x45 sold for $900.

Back
Top Bottom