• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Broker Questions

JGP

So...I've read some of the gunbroker threads (spoiler alert, there are a 'few' of them)....but I'm a lifelong rookie in all I do, so asking my questions here.

1.) I want to sell one of my handguns on gunbroker but am concerned obviously since it won't be a face to face deal at my local shop - which would give me something like $200 for it. Which is stupid. I will list it as FFL to FFL only. It will have good photos showing any scratches, dents, bondo, etc. I will sell it AS IS - NO RETURNS. And list it as POST OFFICE MONEY ORDER only. No CC, no personal checks, green stamps, etc.

2.) Any thoughts on this? Does this approach sound appropriate for a scared little Mass resident like myself?

3.) Is there anything I should be considering to avoid getting scammed. I was planning on setting up a vendor account to accept CC payment, but in addition to a whopping surcharge, my bigger concern is a claim "my card was stolen" after buyer picks up gun or some other weird stuff and the charge gets disputed or reversed and I've lost my gun.

4.) Since it will be FFL to FFL...do I still have to record the sale with the state or does the Mass FFL do all that for me.

5.) For those who have sold on gunbroker, does this approach sound good? Anything you can think of that is missing that I will regret later. If it matters, this isn't some unobtainium gun (although what is hard to come by has certainly changed recently). It is a Beretta 92, pretty stock - replaced plastic guide rod with steel one and upgraded the mag drop. It's in very good condition, only a few years old, but not LNIB. If important, while my account will be "verified", I'm not a dealer, nor will there be any history of sales. So I don't know if that might sound like a scammer listing. It would to me, but I'm not (really!). So, is a money order a problem in this scenario. For others I've seen listed on NES, going the MO route, they seem to be established businesses.

6.) Lastly, I'm guessing it is important the title says something like "MASS COMPLIANT" so people don't freak out on me when it arrives with a couple of 10 round magazines instead of 15. I will of course list the round count too.

Thanks for your input.

Normally, I'm cool with "Gunbroker help" threads. But most of this... confusion could easily be solved by looking at other Gunbroker ads. Plus, this OP has:

(1) three posts in two years;
(2) no membership on here; and
(3) no feedback on here.

Obligatory "Hi Maura!" [wave]

I'd consider a sale with a term like "Return on inspection at receiving FFL only within 3 days of delivery" but once someone says "Used, no pre-inspection no-returns" I stop looking. You might as well put "Seller in charge of all aspects of transaction and sole judge of condition of the gun".

I let my FFL play on Gunbroker. I'm not sending money to a stranger for something I can't see in person before I buy it. I'm also not sending my firearm out to someone who could damage it and tie me up with wanting a refund or some other problem. Something under $100, possibly. At least Armslist people will meet you in person.

I would not send a USPS MO to some random person on gunbroker.

Your demands would scare off a majority of buyers.

Less money and less headache... go green and get a membership here and sell it.

I'd pass on gunbroker as they charge you a fee depending upon how much your firearm sold for. Give Armslist a try first. It's free. Some people don't like it but I've sold several guns through there. That way you can do a FTF EFA-10 with someone in state. Also, like others have said, become a member here and sell it on the forum.

Just so we know, what are you selling????

Selling at a reputable local shop on a consignment basis is best for people that don’t mind sacrificing 15-18% to avoid the hassle of interweb sales. Especially for run-of-the mill, but popular, guns like a 92FS

I've bought/sold on GB and the only issue I've ever had was one non-paying buyer.
I relisted it and it sold within 24 hours at the Buy-It-Now price.
I took a personal check for that, and the transaction went fine.

Lots of buyers/sellers do money order; I've paid for probably 4-5 transactions with them, never a problem.

However, feedback's important, the times I mailed a money order, it was to an FFL with plenty of feedback. I'm not sure if I'd mail a money order to a zero feedback individual seller.

No need to plaster MASS COMPLIANT either, just add a sentence somewhere that it comes with ten-rounders.

No offense but if you have to ask all these questions you're probably better off just finding a shop that will let you can consign the gun and eating the 15-20%. Otherwise you would already have an ad posted in the classifieds for it and setting up an FTF and only getting soaked a few percent etc. Lol

Last edited:
Instead of paying the GB fees, go green and post here on NES. You can also post on Armslist for free but beware of the scammers.

I have to agree with the crowd that GB is not for you, especially given that you probably have little or no GB feedback. Given the info you have posted, you are better off to buy an NES membership and sell your Beretta here in the classifieds. You will likely come out ahead money-wise with far less hassle.

ing hime
Get a membership and sell it on the w.t.s.
Less frustrating than interweb gun brokers.

Why? He just saved himself $21 and has a bunch of guys now sending him private messages since he layed out what he is selling..............................

Where is that meme of Eddie Murphy pointing at his head and smiling when I need it?

spend the 21 bucks, go GREEN here, list it for sale and if it is worth buying it will sell here faster and with less aggravation

You only need to decide if you will do the sale FTF on a EFA-10, or a FFL close to you and who pays the FFL fee.

I think I can say after 12 years on this forum you will not find a better bunch of people to buy and sell with, we are a tight knit group and our collective and individual reputations for dealing with each other are important to us.

Dang! That's a whole lotta replies. Thanks gents. I figured a GB sale was a must to ensure I make good money on this on a GLOBAL SCALE!!!!! But honestly, what NES member is going to want to buy a regular 92FS? I thought you guys all carry Wilson Combat 45's with greygun triggers etc. My assumption is my buyer is likely to be a first time owner. Who knows. Great points though...especially the GB risk of appearing overly demanding. I'll work my way through these. ;)

I buy and sell quite a few guns on GB and I only accept USPS money orders, no exceptions. I only charge actual shipping cost and I don't up-charge. Long guns I ship from my home to an FFL, handguns go FFL to FFL. I take a bunch of pictures, always outside in daylight.

Your requirements are pretty standard for GB, just be aware that GB will charge you a fee ( I think it's 6% these days?). I'd post it up on Armslist, it's the best place to sell guns these days. You could always have the transaction take place at an FFL if you don't want to do one of those McDonalds parking lot back seat sketchy transfers(I miss those).

Back
Top Bottom