• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun "Buybacks"

I love gun buybacks. As an FFL who buys estates and collections I always end up with junk guns. Rusty, broken or so old nobody wants them. They sit on a gunshow table for $25 as parts and still don’t sell. so it is off to the buyback for $50 to $100. As an FFL it would be irresponsible to turn my back on the chance to get rid of my junk with documentation from the police and get paid for it. As a business owner it would be a bad business decision to turn my back on that profit center. I normally walk away from a buyback with between $500 and $1000. Normally in grocery gift cards. I then trade them in online for Amazon cards where I can buy what the business needs, unlike groceries. In addition I normally walk away with a gun or two from the crowd and by passing out cards I can get more later.

As a gun owner it is my pleasure to take the money from those who would harm our hobby.
As an FFL and a gun owner, It's my pleasure to tell you you're a freedom hating tool of the left. You're harming our "hobby" and harming my living just to line your pockets. Good job Dude.

Last edited:
I wonder perhaps would you like to step up and buy all my junk guns. Right now I have about a half dozen rifles to get rid of. So put up or shut up. As I said before. This is not high school. I don’t care what you think of me. You are dust in my life so not worth the time for me to dwell on.

A NYT “exposé” on where all those guns go after a buyback. In brief, many police agencies send them, along with any guns to be destroyed, to GunBusters, who strip and destroy the receivers/frames for free and sell the parts.

They start out noting that gun buybacks find no solid support for any reduction in crime, suicide or injury, but praise the inherent logic of buybacks in “getting guns off the street.” NYT makes it sound like police and GunBusters are colluding to defraud the public of some tangible action against “gun crime”, saying buyers of salvaged gun parts are exploiting a “loophole” in the 1968 Gun Control Act, which defined a gun as a receiver/frame. So, with such “uncontrolled” gun parts, all one has to do is get a receiver/frame to assemble a working gun that can rob, rape and kill! Easy as that.

They gloss over some facts quickly and dismissively, like the Form 4473 & NICS to buy a gun receiver/frame from a FFL, which makes their argument specious at best. Their only valid claim is that those that thought their buyback guns would be completely destroyed may feel misled. Boo-hoo…

At present, Michigan State Police have paused their use of GunBusters, who said they are happy to completely destroy any guns for a fee. It’s a business. A Detroit church is paying $15k to have GunBusters completely destroy 224 guns from their December 2023 buyback. They gave out $19k in gift cards to 100 cars lined up before the buyback opened and turned away others throughout the day. Better to know those 224 guns were completely destroyed than buy back another 177 guns for the $15k spent destroying them? Senselessness multiplied…

In their Jan 2023 article, Rand goes out of their way to propose why studies might miss any utility of gun buybacks in reducing crime, suicide and injury. Highly motivated gun control advocates can’t seem to find evidence that buybacks clearly work, but still don’t doubt that they do work? My surprised face… 😳

Last edited:
I wonder perhaps would you like to step up and buy all my junk guns. Right now I have about a half dozen rifles to get rid of. So put up or shut up. As I said before. This is not high school. I don’t care what you think of me. You are dust in my life so not worth the time for me to dwell on.
I won't buy them, but I'll gladly take them off your hands. If you're smart, you've priced the junk into your offer and not paid for it, if you're not, then by all means, betray every gun owner by giving the gun haters the propaganda photos they need to try to ban guns so you can make a little cash.

This is a serious offer. I'll take all your junk for free. Here's what I do with that stuff (and believe me, I've ended up with lots of unsellable rusty worn out Stevens break-action 16 GA single shots). I put them out on a table and offer anything there for free to anyone that's in for any kind of a transfer. No skin off my ass - it's just another line on the 4473. The customer gets a "project", I get rid of junk, and I keep it out of the hands of any greedy bastard that will f*** us all for a gift card - in other words, you.

Sadly you are more than "dust" to me. You're not. You are part of the problem.

EDIT: Actually, PM me. I'll pay you for them. The investment is worth it. Don't be stupid about it though. I'll post your PMs here if you try to gouge me. I intend to spend my own money to give your shit away so you don't f*** us.

What do you have and what do you want for it? Post it here and I'll buy it.

Last edited:
I won't buy them, but I'll gladly take them off your hands. If you're smart, you've priced the junk into your offer and not paid for it, if you're not, then by all means, betray every gun owner by giving the gun haters the propaganda photos they need to try to ban guns so you can make a little cash.

This is a serious offer. I'll take all your junk for free. Here's what I do with that stuff (and believe me, I've ended up with lots of unsellable rusty worn out Stevens break-action 16 GA single shots). I put them out on a table and offer anything there for free to anyone that's in for any kind of a transfer. No skin off my ass - it's just another line on the 4473. The customer gets a "project", I get rid of junk, and I keep it out of the hands of any greedy bastard that will f*** us all for a gift card - in other words, you.

EDIT: Actually, PM me. I'll pay you for them. The investment is worth it. Don't be stupid about it though. I'll post your PMs here if you try to gouge me. I intend to spend my own money to give your shit away so you don't f*** us.
I have 30 years as an FFL mostly in the NFA. I did not last that long by being stupid. No gun I ever turned in would ever be used in a propaganda photo. They like to display scary guns, not junk guns. Around here they use the same guns in several diffrent buy back photos. I hope you understand the dust comment was a metaphor relating too the amount of time we will spend with each other in our lives. It was not an insult. Insults are not my style. You don't seem to have the same restraint. Perhaps that is why you saw the dust comment as an insult.
If you still want my junk guns how do you want to proceed? As for price just pick a local buy back and use their price. Around here rifles normally bring $50. Not sure how I could gouge anyone on this. The best contact for me is via email [email protected].

What do you have and what do you want for it? Post it here and I'll buy it.
He should just write off the junk against all of the profits made off unsuspecting widows and family.

It’s all greed untill the day comes he’s out of biz cuz gunz are banned like my Canadian friends.

A NYT “exposé” on where all those guns go after a buyback. In brief, many police agencies send them, along with any guns to be destroyed, to GunBusters, who strip and destroy the receivers/frames for free and sell the parts.

They start out noting that gun buybacks find no solid support for any reduction in crime, suicide or injury, but praise the inherent logic of buybacks in “getting guns off the street.” NYT makes it sound like police and GunBusters are colluding to defraud the public of some tangible action against “gun crime”, saying buyers of salvaged gun parts are exploiting a “loophole” in the 1968 Gun Control Act, which defined a gun as a receiver/frame. So, with such “uncontrolled” gun parts, all one has to do is get a receiver/frame to assemble a working gun that can rob, rape and kill! Easy as that.

They gloss over some facts quickly and dismissively, like the Form 4473 & NICS to buy a gun receiver/frame from a FFL, which makes their argument specious at best. Their only valid claim is that those that thought their buyback guns would be completely destroyed may feel misled. Boo-hoo…

At present, Michigan State Police have paused their use of GunBusters, who said they are happy to completely destroy any guns for a fee. It’s a business. A Detroit church is paying $15k to have GunBusters completely destroy 224 guns from their December 2023 buyback. They gave out $19k in gift cards to 100 cars lined up before the buyback opened and turned away others throughout the day. Better to know those 224 guns were completely destroyed than buy back another 177 guns for the $15k spent destroying them? Senselessness multiplied…

In their Jan 2023 article, Rand goes out of their way to propose why studies might miss any utility of gun buybacks in reducing crime, suicide and injury. Highly motivated gun control advocates can’t seem to find evidence that buybacks clearly work, but still don’t doubt that they do work? My surprised face… 😳

It’s not gun control. It’s common sense gun safety.

Do we have to send you to re-education camps?

Newsflash!

Gun buybacks are the only form of gun control that both gun opponents and gun supporters like. There’s just one problem: They don’t work. Scholars have tried for years to quantify the benefit of buybacks, and they’ve consistently found little empirical evidence that they do much of anything to reduce gun violence at all.”[/i}

Agreed they just don’t work, but I don’t recall “gun supporters” liking gun buybacks. While they provide meaningless gestures for politicians to claim they will “do something”, no gun rights organizations speak positively about them otherwise.

I have 30 years as an FFL mostly in the NFA. I did not last that long by being stupid. No gun I ever turned in would ever be used in a propaganda photo. They like to display scary guns, not junk guns. Around here they use the same guns in several diffrent buy back photos. I hope you understand the dust comment was a metaphor relating too the amount of time we will spend with each other in our lives. It was not an insult. Insults are not my style. You don't seem to have the same restraint. Perhaps that is why you saw the dust comment as an insult.
If you still want my junk guns how do you want to proceed? As for price just pick a local buy back and use their price. Around here rifles normally bring $50. Not sure how I could gouge anyone on this. The best contact for me is via email [email protected].
Stupid people can last a long time if they're greedy enough.

Email sent. "Scary guns" is subjective. What you might consider "scary" or what I might consider scary (we probably have wildly different opinions on this too) are not what Sally Soccer Mom and the ill-informed people that support gun "buy-backs" consider scary. A broken single shot antique 16 GA with a cutoff stock covered in electrical tape is absolutely terrifying to the uniformed, and the uninformed are exactly who they're trying to influence, successfully with your help. I guarantee that any gun you've ever turned in to a "buy back" has terrified low information voters.

I'll buy all of your shit, as long as I can tell everyone where I got it from as I destroy it on video, or give it away.

Subject: I'm EddieCoyle on NES and I want to buy your junk guns
Hi,

I'd like to buy anything you're inclined to turn in to a gun "buy back". I'm an FFL, and I'll drive to where you are to pick them up and pay cash.

Best Regards,

Jim Finnerty

Last edited:
Stupid people can last a long time if they're greedy enough.

Email sent. "Scary guns" is subjective. What you might consider "scary" or what I might consider scary (we probably have wildly different opinions on this too) are not what Sally Soccer Mom and the ill-informed people that support gun "buy-backs" consider scary. A broken single shot antique 16 GA with a cutoff stock covered in electrical tape is absolutely terrifying to the uniformed, and the uninformed are exactly who they're trying to influence, successfully with your help. I guarantee that any gun you've ever turned in to a "buy back" has terrified low information voters.

I'll buy all of your shit, as long as I can tell everyone where I got it from as I destroy it on video, or give it away.

Subject: I'm EddieCoyle on NES and I want to buy your junk guns
Happy to help you. You were not available this weekend. Tell me your shop is and the hours or your availability during the week and I might be able to deliver them.

So I am not allowed to have an opinion of my own.

Of course you’re allowed to have an opinion. And others are allowed to have the opinion that people who will sell their soul to make a buck at the peoples expense are without principle and greedy. Taking advantage of taxpayers for personal gain sounds a lot like what politicians do.

Some people hold values and principles and won’t waive them for an extra buck. Other people don’t. I’m not sure why you’re surprised about getting flack for being in the second group.

Last edited:
Suppose one had a significant quantity of bad ammo. Would giving it to a buyback burden the buyback and help the cause, or allow the buyback to claim success and hurt the cause?

Suppose one had a significant quantity of bad ammo. Would giving it to a buyback burden the buyback and help the cause, or allow the buyback to claim success and hurt the cause?
They're on the clock. I wouldn't expect many Fs to be given. But, imagine a line of individuals willing to turn in a single .22LR round each. A long line. I've got some Winchester crap I'd donate.

I suspect if you gave them the choice, they would take the ammo. Every round will be a potentially saved life.

$50/100? Lame.

"The point is to increase public safety by removing the potential that unwanted and unmonitored guns might fall into the wrong hands such as following a burglary."

So if a dealer buys them at the buyback, and sells them to responsible gun owners who will keep them secure, then we have accomplished the goal. So why do they not want dealers to be there to offer this opportunity and more money for the guns?

Expose the truth about the situation and EVERBODY INVOLVED starts playing dumb.

Now that they've exposed the issue, it's time to back track the money trail and see whose front doors it leads to.

Not condoning the destruction of the guns, but if one word "entire" were included in the contract it would have eliminated the whole issue.

Expose the truth about the situation and EVERBODY INVOLVED starts playing dumb.

Now that they've exposed the issue, it's time to back track the money trail and see whose front doors it leads to.

Not condoning the destruction of the guns, but if one word "entire" were included in the contract it would have eliminated the whole issue.
It's not much of a money trail.
The company takes the guns for free and then makes their money selling the parts, it's a good business model and nobody loses except the Libs that don't like the idea.
Adding a budget item to a municipal department is a pain in the ass, Even discretionary funds usually have limits (i.e. discretionary training funds). When they hear "free" I'm sure they all jumped with "I'm in", not really caring what happened to the gun as long as it didn't come out of their budget. They probably didn't even read the contract themselves, sent it to legal who, being sure to stay in their box, simple said yup it's legal and won't cost us any money.

I'm sure someone knew this was in there, now they are just trying to protect their jobs.

It's not much of a money trail.
The company takes the guns for free and then makes their money selling the parts, it's a good business model and nobody loses except the Libs that don't like the idea.

Also, the libs don't seem to understand that the remaining parts can't be used to build another gun if you don't have the frame.
These parts are only useful as replacements or spares to people who already own the same make and model firearm the parts came from.
Unless it's an AR, AK or Glock, obtaining a frame to build a new gun from these parts is nearly impossible.

Also, the libs don't seem to understand that the remaining parts can't be used to build another gun if you don't have the frame.
These parts are only useful as replacements or spares to people who already own the same make and model firearm the parts came from.
Unless it's an AR, AK or Glock, obtaining a frame to build a new gun from these parts is nearly impossible.
Oh. They understand, a broken gun with no parts is no gun

Back
Top Bottom