Gun "Buybacks"

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
To anyone thinking of participating in a gun "buyback":
  1. It doesn't matter that you're turning in a worthless or non-working gun.
  2. It doesn't matter what you do with the money they give you.
  3. It doesn't matter if the "gun" you turn in was hastily made from gas pipe and framing lumber.
  4. They don't care how much they spend.
  5. They're not interested in getting guns "off the streets" because they know what they're getting was never on the streets.
  6. They do it for the "money shot" of a police chief or two standing behind a table full of scary looking guns.
  7. Their goal is to frighten the masses into voting for their anti-gun agenda.
  8. If you participate in any way, you've helped them and you're the worst kind of freedom hating skinflint.
DON'T f***ING HELP THE ANTI-GUN POLITICIANS!!!

Last edited:
It's not a "buyback" since they didn't sell the guns that people are turning in. It's been noted before that it's really 'confiscation with compensation'. Minimal compensation at best. Well, unless it's a HiPoint. ;)
It bugs me every time I hear it. I wish they'd just call it what it is: "There will be a gun surrender event at..."

It bugs me every time I hear it. I wish they'd just call it what it is: "There will be a gun surrender event at..."
This is because you're not the intended audience of the announcement.

It's for people that want someone to "Do something...." And, voila, something is done. It's pointless from a practical point of view, but it shows that the guns are back with the .gov (where they belong, hence buyback)

If it was a "surrender" it would make it seem that there was some level of compulsion on the part of the .gov....and we know that's not the case. They're just keeping you safe.....

Have we gotten to the point where they are giving away $500 for a 9mm? wake me when tha happens as I am going to cash in my 401k, buy as many pallets of hi-points as I can get (hoping for volume discount of $100/unit at qty over 1000, and then sell them to the state For $500 a pop. When they go to destroy them by melting them, I am going to sic the Sierra club on them for burning plastics while sitting at my beach villa overlooking the ocean in Florida.

I don't think it generates an emotional response from me.

Want to sell your junk for $50 gift cards? Power to you. I don't have junk like that around but not sure I'd consider it if I did either.

It doesn't help the antis cause. It's not a model for anything. It's not getting guns off the street. It generates some fake news and some gift cards in exchange for trash. A non issue in my mind.

As far as principles I'm more appalled by other gun owners who dwell on what sorta guns are good to hunt with as justification for why we own them, stuff like that.

I don't think it generates an emotional response from me.

Want to sell your junk for $50 gift cards? Power to you. I don't have junk like that around but not sure I'd consider it if I did either.

It doesn't help the antis cause. It's not a model for anything. It's not getting guns off the street. It generates some fake news and some gift cards in exchange for trash. A non issue in my mind.

As far as principles I'm more appalled by other gun owners who dwell on what sorta guns are good to hunt with as justification for why we own them, stuff like that.
It certainly does help their cause when it becomes a photo op for the front page of the local paper/website.

It certainly does help their cause when it becomes a photo op for the front page of the local paper/website.
I have yet to see a photo op that included a gun that might have come off the street or that could be used in a crime. I can’t imagine even the most ardent anti or person who knows nothing about guns thinking that the buyback did something useful. Most of the time the comments section of the article it’s nothing but mockery of what was turned in. These events accomplish nothing from a PR standpoint for the Antis and make the police & local politicians look like morons.

I have yet to see a photo op that included a gun that might have come off the street or that could be used in a crime. I can’t imagine even the most ardent anti or person who knows nothing about guns thinking that the buyback did something useful. Most of the time the comments section of the article it’s nothing but mockery of what was turned in. These events accomplish nothing from a PR standpoint for the Antis and make the police & local politicians look like morons.
1) It doesn't get "guns off the street"
2) It doesn't generate good publicity for the antis

Why do they do it?

I need new glasses - I saw "Gin Buybacks" and thought NH State Liquor Stores would buy back that 1/2 bottle of BeefEater Gin(1.75L) that we found under my son's bed a few years ago, after he went off to Army Basic. Maybe I could get a pint of Bombay, I thought...

They had one yesterday in Falmouth, ME ( the next town North of Portland: very wealthy area). The news this morning said "Almost a dozen people brought in their unwanted firearms for dispisal". The video showed a Thompson/Center Contender single-shot handgun, a piece of junk High Standard revolver, and a sporterized Carcano. I feel much safer.

The point is worth making and repeating as it has been in many threads over the years. Don't feed the beast. OP, you should make this a sticky.

Fair point. But they wouldn’t do if it they didn’t think it benefited an agenda IMO.

FIFY. They do a lot of stupid shit that doesn't accomplish anything even though they always have an agenda; just because they think it benefits their agenda doesn't make it so. Gun buybacks are a joke and make them look stupid. I have yet to see a gun buyback article where the guns were anything other than broken down wood stock clunkers & comments section was anything other than laughter. Nobody thinks things are safer after one of the ridiculous gun buyback PR pieces.

2) It doesn't generate good publicity for the antis
It does.

Non gun owners that have no strong opinion on gun control or any idea what they're looking at see the photo or the news story with a bunch of "street" guns on a table and decide that the solution to the "gun problem" is to ban guns.

Read the local FB pages or Patch forums in towns where they've done buybacks and you'll see that the antis are getting exactly the resonses that they'd hoped for.

The comments section of those articles is usually an echo chamber for people like NES posters. If the buybacks are successful (in other words, a lot of fudds turn in their junk) they actually accomplish a lot from a PR standpoint for the anti gun crowd.

Last edited:
The comments section of those articles is usually an echo chamber for people like NES posters. If the buybacks are successful (in other words, a lot of fudds turn in their junk) they actually accomplish a lot from a PR standpoint for the anti gun crowd.

We'll have to agree to disagree; I don't think they get any PR mileage out of a table of FUDD junk.

Back
Top Bottom