• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Cleaning "hardware"

I use a small craftsmen tool box for storage of my cleaning supplies. It works out great and keeps things pretty organized.

dg-Kffb9Kjk5lFOvI4oIQA6Kp3PXqC5IyDwAuJ_pNQefbBcJAuTIFXTxKCbbhqxb9z_nm2SGb4uQpevlQgnPZ2rNCe1jCuE7gpZN9OpjNoxR3eugjpVz5KBvpAfTNzMFcg7o3pFqWx91G-R9GYsKzJU-wkeiaP9iRsa1paZjGpRb-a5GaO74

I use the plastic holders that come with the cleaning kits to keep the bore brushes and jags from getting mixed up.

I've almost entirely switched over to using the Otis cleaning kit. Uses a coated cable to pull the Jag, Brush, Patch through rather than push. Being flexible, you can clean from the chamber end of just about anything. The patches are designed to be folded to cover several calibers.

Not the cheapest, but worth it in my book.

+1 for the Otis kit. I have a master kit and a borelighter. Use mostly clp and the.....whatever the "7" stuff that I can't recall the name due to TMB.(too many bdays )

I'm in the camp that says a hard steel (one-piece, of course) cleaning rod is safer for your gun than an aluminum or vinyl coated one.

Why? Your barrel is hardened; the rod isn't going to directly harm it, if you use a guide and reasonable care. Aluminum or plastic/vinyl coatings, though, pick up grit and that can do a lot of damage.

Get a tackle box for fishing, they work great for the bulk of it and other trinkets.

Yep, bought a roll up kit ended up throwing away the roll and putting everything in a tackle box, works much better at keeping it organized with my other cleaning kits.
Recently bought this kit, havnt used it yet (havnt been to the range in over a month, I feel dead inside) but it feels like a solid tool thats not going to snap like the last rod I used to clean my new (to me) mosin nagant.

Bore-Snake - caliber/gauge dependent
toothbrush = invaluable
Hoppes #9 = Channel #9
bronze brushes for tough stuff cleaning - caliber/gauge dependent
dentist/doctor picks for anal retentive cleaning - sometimes you gotta...

If you really want a FKA clean - use an old sonicare, etc, electric toofbrush head and plenty of your favorite solvent - spit polish shine on the surfaces

Store the boresnakes in CCI 100 Rd plastic containers - label the tops and GTG - keep the Hoppes flowing

My cleaning supplies are VERY disorganized. I did, however, invest in a one-piece carbon fiber cleaning rod. No metal joints along the length to catch on anything. Storage is a problem, but I place it in a rifle case if I need to bring it to the range. It was expensive, probably as much as some of the complete kits, mentioned above. Sorry, but it's been too long, and I can't remember the brand, as it's unmarked. Hopefully, no more mucked-up crowns for me. So far, so good.

ETA: The rod is 35". Brand is "Gunslick". Great ball-bearing handle.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the great ideas guys. I will be setting up a workbench in my garage this summer and I'm going to specify a location specifically for gun cleaning. I want to split the cleaning tools in two; compact pack for the range for emergency cleaning, and an extensive setup for the garage where I will actually be doing the cleaning.

I have so many ideas from all of your suggestions, thank you all again. I will update with my purchases!

Otis kit. Can't go wrong small (take up way less space then a traditional kit) come with soft case and clean great. They make multiple kits in differant sizes. I got a kit that will clean all my guns kit came with with 12ga 20ga 22 9 40 45 762x39 and a couple other calibers that i can't remember at the moment. The kit patches solvent all fit in the small side pocket of my range bag. Absolutely one of the best gun related idioms i ever bought.

Back
Top Bottom