Gun cleaning rod?

Laura

NES Member
I was thinking about cleaning my pistols/revolvers so I have the solutions but when I tried to find the rod I came up empty. I saw some cleaning kits on Amazon but no rod in sight. What gives? I don't need anything fancy but why are they selling cleaning kits without the damn rod? Can anyone give me a link to one that works for handguns?

I was thinking about cleaning my pistols/revolvers so I have the solutions but when I tried to find the rod I came up empty. I saw some cleaning kits on Amazon but no rod in sight. What gives? I don't need anything fancy but why are they selling cleaning kits without the damn rod? Can anyone give me a link to one that works for handguns?
Uh, search skills fail Amazon product ASIN B01M0F4NFOView: https://www.amazon.com/GLORYFIRE-Universal-Cleaning-Hunting-Portable/dp/B01M0F4NFO/ref=sr_1_24?dchild=1&keywords=guns&qid=1634406840&sr=8-24

In a pinch, you can use a draw-string to pull solvent through the bore. Let is rest for a little bit, and pull a clean piece of linen (tee shirt cut to size)
After the bore pulls clean, pull a lightly oiled square through to seal the deal...

A shoelace, piece of paracord or even baker's twine work well as a draw string.

1634407465641.png

Last edited:
Yeah, for light-duty, I'd go with something like that...

1634407045294.png

Last edited:
That's overkill. I just want A cleaning rod, not SEVERAL cleaning rods....
I'm sure they have those too. You brought up Amazon and said they had nothing so that's not nothing. Personally I use fiberglass one piece rods I got from Brownells but I'm the be prepared type so I'm not looking at Amazon for an overnight special pos.

OP is not alone

IVAN CHESNOKOV !!4AFNigi37A 06/10/10 (Thu) 04:55 No. 6331503

>>6330110

WHAT IN f*** IS DONE TO THIS POOR RIFLE? STUPID HICK AMERICAN WITH TEN GALLON HAT AND GIANT PICKUP TRUCK LOOKS AT PERFECTLY FINE SIMONOV KARBIN AND SAYS "NO, RIFLE NEED MORE DUMB SHIT ON IT"?

WHAT IS REASON FOR PISTOL GRIP? IF YOU NEED TO FIRE FROM HIP IN EMERGENCY, NOW HAND IS TWISTED INTO PAINFUL ANGLE AND YOU MISS EVERY ENEMY! LOOK AT WRONG ANGLE OF BAYONET! LOOK AT CHEAP PLASTIC MAGAZINE THAT FEEDS CARTRIDGE LIKE CONSTANTLY JAMMING PEZ CANDY BOX! WHERE DID CLEANING STICK GO?

I've never noticed this...Gender: male??? Are there women specific gun cleaning kits now?

Specifications​

Gender​

Male

System of Measurement​

U.S. Customary

Type​

Gun Cleaning Kits

Manufacturer​

Hoppes

Number of Batteries​

Count​

Price Per Unit UOM​

Each

Multipack Quantity​

Model​

SGU

Warranty Provider​

See Listing Details

Brand​

Hoppe's

Piece Count​

PPU Quantity of Units​

1 Each

Age Group​

Adult

Vehicle Type​

LandVehicles

Count Per Pack​

Product Name​

ROD 3PC ALL GA SGUN W/ALUM ROD (10)

Condition​

New

Units Per Consumer Unit​

Color​

Multicolor

Category​

Cleaning Supplies

Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)​

14.70 x 4.80 x 0.89 Inches

Yeah, for light-duty, I'd go with something like that...

View attachment 532931
So, most kits like that have extremely shitty brass rods that snap at the easiest load.
Pretty much any Chinese alloy or brass sectional rods are garbage.
I cannot find it on Amazon now but for field you need to search for a military style kit where rod is steel and has interlocking sections preventing snapping. Such kit works for pistols and rifles.
Something like that may be, not sure.
One I have accepts normal brass tips, uses usual thread. Some don’t.

FIREGEAR Gun Cleaning Kit Supplies Cleaner Set Reinforced Precise Rods for .22/ .223/5.56mm Cal with Dual-Ended Nylon Brush, Slotted Tip, Cotton Patches, Empty Oil Bottle, Durable Bag Amazon product ASIN B08R8Z6KQTView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R8Z6KQT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CYBGEEZ8W6BJKVD2V31E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For home there are carbon fiber ones.
Tipton 1-Piece Deluxe Cleaning Rods with Multiple Caliber Sizes and Lengths, Carbon Fiber Shaft and Hanging Hole for Cleaning, Maintenance and Gunsmithing Amazon product ASIN B00069IBNSView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00069IBNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z13DKQE338AK36J39EQ5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
So, most kits like that have extremely shitty brass rods that snap at the easiest load.
I cannot find it on Amazon now but for field you need to search for a military style kit where rod is steel and has interlocking sections preventing snapping. Such kit works for pistols and rifles.
Something like that may be, not sure.
One I have accepts normal brass tips, uses usual thread. Some don’t.

FIREGEAR Gun Cleaning Kit Supplies Cleaner Set Reinforced Precise Rods for .22/ .223/5.56mm Cal with Dual-Ended Nylon Brush, Slotted Tip, Cotton Patches, Empty Oil Bottle, Durable Bag Amazon product ASIN B08R8Z6KQTView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R8Z6KQT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CYBGEEZ8W6BJKVD2V31E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For home there are carbon fiber ones.
Tipton 1-Piece Deluxe Cleaning Rods with Multiple Caliber Sizes and Lengths, Carbon Fiber Shaft and Hanging Hole for Cleaning, Maintenance and Gunsmithing Amazon product ASIN B00069IBNSView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00069IBNS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z13DKQE338AK36J39EQ5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Use a cord in the field, steel is bad. You want a metal thats softer that the steal of your barral, so brass or aluminium, the joining points of a steel rod can catch on the muzzle or bore and that's not good.

At home, ya carbon fiber or fiberglass.

Wal-mart actually sells some really nice handy pistol cleaning kits. I pretty much use bore snakes on handguns though.

My favorite handgun cleaning rod is made by Pro-Shot (American-made, veteran-owned). It is polished stainless steel and will last forever. It's very stiff, so as long as you run it straight along the bore and use a muzzle guard it will not bend to touch your barrel in any way.

For revolvers I always use a muzzle guard, either brass or plastic, made in the correct caliber. Several companies make these including Pro-Shot, Dewey, Birchwood-Casey, and Boretech.

Back
Top Bottom