• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun cleaning rod?

Is there some Army/Navy surplus store in Eastern Mass/Southern NH
that carries G.I.-style cleaning rods with folding T-handles -
with no bearings or bushings that let the rod rotate in the handle?

I want something that will let me spin a chamber brush -
not something that will fight me every step of the way
to keep from rotating the brush in the chamber.

You're thinking about cleansing your pistol? Did it stop working?

Seriously, I have a couple of these simple rods, I love them:

I have not see usful surplus stuff in any surplus store in years. Outside clothing and gear bags.

I know nothing of this vendor:

I've never noticed this...Gender: male??? Are there women specific gun cleaning kits now?

Specifications​

Gender​

Male

System of Measurement​

U.S. Customary

Type​

Gun Cleaning Kits

Manufacturer​

Hoppes

Number of Batteries​

Count​

Price Per Unit UOM​

Each

Multipack Quantity​

Model​

SGU

Warranty Provider​

See Listing Details

Brand​

Hoppe's

Piece Count​

PPU Quantity of Units​

1 Each

Age Group​

Adult

Vehicle Type​

LandVehicles

Count Per Pack​

Product Name​

ROD 3PC ALL GA SGUN W/ALUM ROD (10)

Condition​

New

Units Per Consumer Unit​

Color​

Multicolor

Category​

Cleaning Supplies

Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)​

14.70 x 4.80 x 0.89 Inches
The 'Female' ones come with batteries.

i tossed all my mis-matched kits and rods and use otis technologies cleaning stuff. stores in a tiny package and out of the way. thats good for me since they only come out every couple of years. i don't miss those rods.

Glocks never need to be cleaned and you never clean a Ruger Mk1 2 3 or 4 because you'll never get it back together again once you take it apart
Man, ain't this the TRUTH !! (My MKIII has almost taken trips off a steep cliff from "can't assemble" anger). As of late after like the 20th time I have it figured out ... sort of, LOL

Please send me all those hard to put back together Ruger MKIII pistols.
I'll take them cheap and stack them deep!

Open beer, read instructions and rewatch a Youtube video and in about a minute or so your done.

And to answer the op's question. Just buy a Dewey pistol rod and be done with it.[smile]

For handguns I don't think handle size matters. But both Dewey and Tipton rifle rods have thick handles, and they will bump into the comb of your stock if you have a Monte Carlo or other high cheekrest.

Do folks generally recommend using these rods from the breech end (i.e. pushing) rather than the muzzle? Why?
When you clean from the breech, you don't risk scraping the rod against the muzzle crown. Abrasion of the muzzle crown causes gas leaks which throw the bullet off course as it leaves the barrel. Secondarily, you aren't pushing debris into the action of your rifle as the patch leaves the bore.

Im not seeing it, I have both.
If anything the dewey handle is on the small side?

The finger loop is too small ? What size thread are the attachments for the dewey rod? I have some brass rod lying around that i could drill / tap and just form a larger loop in .

When you clean from the breech, you don't risk scraping the rod against the muzzle crown. Abrasion of the muzzle crown causes gas leaks which throw the bullet off course as it leaves the barrel. Secondarily, you aren't pushing debris into the action of your rifle as the patch leaves the bore.
Makes sense. This is why we ask questions. I guess I was thinking that the softer rods should be fine to pull, particularly for actions that are harder to access. I figured you'd take care in feeding it down the bore (maybe use a guide) and screw the brush or jag onto the rod.

Thanks!

I have not see usful surplus stuff in any surplus store in years. Outside clothing and gear bags.
I know nothing of this vendor:
That's the bad-boy right there.
A less feature-laden kit - just handle plus rod sections:

"New production of the original, military issue "Cleaning Rod, Small Arms" (NSN #1005-00-089-3994)."

I guess I was thinking that the softer rods should be fine to pull, particularly for actions that are harder to access. I figured you'd take care in feeding it down the bore (maybe use a guide) and screw the brush or jag onto the rod.
Note that one of the advantages of our takedown 10/22
is that we can clean the whole barrel (including chamber)
from the breech just by working on the front half of the gun.

Non-takedown 10/22 owners have been known to drill a horizontal hole
in the rear of the receiver, so that you can push the patch through from the rear.

e03f2c8f0ae9148dd81d10b6d33b6379.jpg

I have a Dewey chamber rod for that.

The rest of them I have with bearings to follow the rifling, but I do have one just for chambers.

Your best bet is to buy a Glock, they all come with a cleaning rod and at the same time you get another gun.

Back
Top Bottom