Gun Club closure megathread

I haven’t been able to get Braintree to answer membership questions submitted via the web form in a month or so. Are they all closed up at the moment or something?

And for anybody here who happens to know, how are lapsed memberships handled? Can I just pay back-dues or do I have to go through the new membership crap again (i.e. stick to other clubs and not go back)?

I haven’t been able to get Braintree to answer membership questions submitted via the web form in a month or so. Are they all closed up at the moment or something?

And for anybody here who happens to know, how are lapsed memberships handled? Can I just pay back-dues or do I have to go through the new membership crap again (i.e. stick to other clubs and not go back)?
Place has been open for awhile. Late dues are an extra $10 per month late. No idea how it is if by “lapsed” you mean something more likes years.

I'm no longer a member at BR&P, but I'd suggest looking at their website for info. I'd be surprised if they were holding any meetings until Fall or even later.

After a certain period of time (I think it was after April 1st), they require you to re-apply as a new member. Will they do anything different due to CV-19? No idea but it doesn't hurt to ask.

The most recent Gov. Baker proclamation of jackassery, which lowers the attendance limit for outdoor gatherings from 100 down to 50, has prompted Hardwick Rod & Gun Club to cancel the lobster shoot which had been planned for this coming Sunday.

I'm not the seafaring type, so I have to ask: what's the best caliber for lobster?

Governor Baker issued "Revised Order Further Regulating Gatherings in the Commonwealth COVID-19 Order No 54".
The Governor's Order goes into effect at 12:01 AM on Friday NOV 6, 2020. As a result:
  • All MRA property will be CLOSED from 9:30 PM to 5:00 AM effective November 6, 2020. We hope to resume normal access as soon as allowable.
  • We are considering the above as a temporary addition to the Range Rules,until such time, as these restrictions are lifted or modified by the Governor.
  • As a practical matter, this will have no impact on the current Range Rules regarding outside ranges that would normally be closed at sunset, but it does impact the normal 24/7 availability of our two indoor ranges.
Failure to follow the Range Rules jeopardizes the club and, as a result, your membership. The key fob system and cameras can notify us of any violations. Please note that, "I didn't read the notice" and "I didn't realize what time it was" are NOT valid excuses. Schedule your time accordingly and/or set the alarm on your phone.

If found in violation :

First Violation, access will be shut off for a period of no less than 2 weeks and member must come to office to get access.
Second Violation, access will be shut off and must appear in front of the Executive Board to defend membership status.

Thank You
Massachusetts Rifle Association
Board of Directors

Ha. I read the first sentence and read "ALL MRA PROPERTY WILL BE CLOSED". Then stopped reading.

I thoughtthey were closing everything. But in reality they are just closing at 9:30. Rather than Loeb being 7x24. Ha the joke is on me.

Governor Baker issued "Revised Order Further Regulating Gatherings in the Commonwealth COVID-19 Order No 54".

this is BS I cant shoot during the day and by the time i get back home from work and take some time to unwind its too late to go i specifically chose them since they were close and had 24/7 range

this is BS I cant shoot during the day and by the time i get back home from work and take some time to unwind its too late to go i specifically chose them since they were close and had 24/7 range

I realize it sucks. That's exactly why I am a member at MRA. Weekends have not been terribly crowded because of lack of ammo for many people. Also don't forget about the Fazio if you are shooting .22.

I realize it sucks. That's exactly why I am a member at MRA. Weekends have not been terribly crowded because of lack of ammo for many people. Also don't forget about the Fazio if you are shooting .22.
Fortunately many clubs are not open to the public and do not have customers or employees and are thus not covered by the notice, provided they do not have any "public welcome" events. It's "iffy" if an accompanied guest is considered a "member of the public", so many clubs ban guests during mandated closures.

don't forget about the Fazio if you are shooting .22

What is "the Fazio"?

Fortunately many clubs are not open to the public and do not have customers or employees and are thus not covered by the notice, provided they do not have any "public welcome" events. It's "iffy" if an accompanied guest is considered a "member of the public", so many clubs ban guests during mandated closures.

Good point!

Oh my, which order are you reading and claiming the exemption from now? People like to pretend things don't apply to them, or their Club, but you better READ the order before making such broad claims.

Shooting ranges are certainly subject to these closures--regardless of whether they are open to the public. Order applies to "all businesses, facilities, or activities" and limits when "customers, patrons, or members of the public" may be admitted. Read:

And if that doesn't convince you then read the "Schedule A" referenced, which specifically lists "shooting ranges" as one type of "organization" subject to these time closures.

Oh my, which order are you reading and claiming the exemption from now? People like to pretend things don't apply to them, or their Club, but you better READ the order before making such broad claims.

Shooting ranges are certainly subject to these closures--regardless of whether they are open to the public. Order applies to "all businesses, facilities, or activities" and limits when "customers, patrons, or members of the public" may be admitted. Read:

And if that doesn't convince you then read the "Schedule A" referenced, which specifically lists "shooting ranges" as one type of "organization" subject to these time closures.

Sorry, we no longer choose to identify as a "shooting range" or an "organization" or pretty much anything you care to label us other than private property, so please see yourself the f*** out before something unfortunate happens to you.

Excellent point. The earlier orders did not include the term "patrons" in the list.

There is certainly an argument to be made that a member of a private club is indeed a "patron". I missed the addition of that term when reading the new orders.

I don't think any of those clubs are any different from MRA.

MRA is not open to the public other than members with guests.
MRA does not have any employees.

I believe is the upstairs .22 only range. MRA names it ranges after people - presumably long dead members of some standing.

Correct, Fazio is the 2nd floor of the clubhouse. Before its renovation 5 years or so ago, it was dark and nasty. Now its bright, has a state of the art ventilation system. Its .22 LR max. (so cb caps, .22 short, .22 long, but nothing else).

Correct, Fazio is the 2nd floor of the clubhouse. Before its renovation 5 years or so ago, it was dark and nasty. Now its bright, has a state of the art ventilation system. Its .22 LR max. (so cb caps, .22 short, .22 long, but nothing else).
Newer club members should realize that many of these people who are todays old guys at the club spent much time in their youthful years ago the club, and used to be the ones humping rocks at work parties, climbing ladders, etc. Chances are something you use at the club was built by one of these geezers. I'm not quite old enough to sign up for curmudgeon lessons, but am old enough that I remember meeting one of our now adult members when he was one day old. I even came up with his middle name that his father loved so much he actually used ("Cooper"). He was destined for membership the day he was born.

Back
Top Bottom