• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Dealers who ask to see LTC before showing customer a Firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the gun owner community feel about gun-shops/dealers/big box stores who require customers to show proof of LTC before showing the customer a firearm?

I think it's stupid.

But it's their house, so their rules. If they offer a fair price on something I want, I'm certainly not going to get butthurt because they ask me to open my wallet.

How does the gun owner community feel about gun-shops/dealers/big box stores who require customers to show proof of LTC before showing the customer a firearm?
Interesting first post. Not even a comment on an existing thread, but your own thread. There is no legal requirement to limit access to guns to LTC holders, only limit access to people I know or should know are federally prohibited people. MA permits access to handguns by people w/o LTC/FID under the supervision of an LTC/FID holder.

I am sure they have their reasons, but I do not see the point.

I know Shooters Supply asks for LTC before showing you a gun. I literally only went there to pick up a cheap Shield (during the rebate days).

I can see Rob's point. (post ##7). In a big, crowded store strange things can/have happened. Jack.
By the time someone gets a gun put in their hand, they have been filmed by no less than 8 cameras. I have insurance and the ability to provide high resolution images of everyone from every possible angle. That is enough for me. I only take their LTC when they make a gun purchase, ammo purchase, or pre-ban magazine purchase.

In a small, traditional (not mill-based) MA store with two employees and one customer, I still did this. Sorry, not sorry. Can't shoot someone for booking it for the door - they know it, and they know I know it - and it's a hell of a lot of hassle when and if a firearm were to run off, even with cameras. Exception to this rule for me was when a family member, boyfriend/girlfriend, etc showed the LTC and the other member of the party wanted to handle the firearm. Another exception is a regular who is in once a week. Yet another would be someone signing up for a class - MAYBE.

Odds of an LTC holder running off with a firearm are about a bazillion times lower than someone who doesn't have one.

There's enough red tape, paperwork, and fighting with the state WITHOUT losing a firearm. Even temporarily.

I wouldn't want to see it mandated by law, however.

Can't say I blame them for a couple of reasons. As others have stated, to avoid the snatch & grab, far less likely to happen w/ an LTC holder. Perhaps the LGS doesn't want to spend time w/ people who are unable to buy a gun.

The one I don't like is BassPro who requires the LTC and they won't take out the trigger lock when they let you handle it. I get it that in a place like that, you never know who's gonna do what with a gun you hand over the counter, but it still sucks. Although I couldn't imagine actually buying a gun there.

It's like letting a dealership take a copy of your driver's license before letting you go on a test drive, it's a pain but totally necessary in today's world. I have no issues with it.

It's like letting a dealership take a copy of your driver's license before letting you go on a test drive, it's a pain but totally necessary in today's world. I have no issues with it.
I have no dog in this fight, but, no, it's not like that at all. You're leaving the dealership on a test drive. The actual analogy would be if they wanted your driver's license to look at a car on the lot.

By the time someone gets a gun put in their hand, they have been filmed by no less than 8 cameras. I have insurance and the ability to provide high resolution images of everyone from every possible angle. That is enough for me. I only take their LTC when they make a gun purchase, ammo purchase, or pre-ban magazine purchase.
Is a "standard" capacity Magazine not a controlled item in MA?

Besides Bass Pro and Cabela's, I've been inside two Mass gun shops ever. The first time, I was in a shop off Route 1 in Foxborough that had a FAL. This was the first FAL I had ever seen, so naturally, I wanted to handle it. Being a RI resident without a non-res, I don't have nor did I have a Mass LTC. Shop asked to see LTC, I said I didn't have one, and the shop owner refused.

This was probably before 2012.

The guy who used to run the gun counter at the Lunenburg Walmart used to get very excited about making sure he saw your LTC before he'd unlock the cases. That's assuming you could even find the guy. I didn't let it bother me because the guy is a little off. Maybe on the spectrum, as they say.
Kind of a moot point these days unless you're in the market for some 16 gauge shells.

First time I had that happen was at some subpar gun show I attended in Marlboro (I think) circa 1995-96. I had moved up from FL and handled guns at shows pretty often down there. When the guy asked, I just sorta laughed and skipped it, even though I had my MA LTC. Wasn't worth digging it out of my wallet. Whatever, his table, his rules. I just moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom