Gun Digest

Probably depends on the state. I'm sure MA won't allow you to get a dealer's license at your home, but if you're selling online out of MA you may be okay. I'm sure someone like @EddieCoyle (or @atilla? [rofl]) can answer that better than me.
I would say anything other than an 03 would require a storefront/commercial business, and although MA certainly frowns on home FFL, I think the ATF does more than anything.

Maybe there are in free states, but Im not so sure they still exist much in homes anymore. Outbuildings zoned properly, most certainly they do, even in MA.

I'm sure someone like @EddieCoyle (or @atilla? [rofl]) can answer that better than me.
There's some spotty info in this thread.
Don't have a C&R. Might not be a bad idea though. I think its 30 bucks a year but I have been told I need to take some sort of "class" to apply for it but I really don't know.
You don't need to take a class, but I teach an online class on how to properly fill out the application, also the limits to what you can and can't do with a C&R, the types of activities that are OK vs. the ones that can get you jammed up. I'm doing a class next week.
i do not get it - if it is a mandatory inspection, why 10? or 10%?
if it is not mandatory and no inspection needed - what are the grounds for those C&R inspections they did?

if anyone could give a definitive answer it would be helpful, as the last thing anyone wants is a 'surprise' visit to inspect your ass.
You don't need an inspection or interview to get a 03 FFL a.k.a. a C&R. You do need an interview for an 01 (dealer), 06 (Mfg of ammo), or 07 (Mfg of firearms and ammo) - also an 02 (pawnbroker) but you can't get an 02 in MA. Very few C&Rs ever get inspected. Usually it'll happen only if you're charged with another offense, report too many lost/stolen guns, or something on your books comes up in a trace. If that happens, you'd better make sure you have good records because an IRS audit is mild compared to one done by the ATF. I'm also doing a class on C&R Record Keeping.
Should you get a C&R (not sure if you have one) I think you can then ship right to a C&R FFL directly.
You can ship to a C&R without having a C&R yourself. Long guns are easy, handguns are not so easy.
Probably depends on the state. I'm sure MA won't allow you to get a dealer's license at your home, but if you're selling online out of MA you may be okay.
Don't confuse a dealer's license with an FFL. You can get an FFL from your home (including an 01, 06. and 07 depending on how your house is zoned). You can't get a MA dealer's license from your home.

Last edited:
I would say anything other than an 03 would require a storefront/commercial business, and although MA certainly frowns on home FFL, I think the ATF does more than anything.
Nope. The state frowns, the ATF DGAF if your zoning is OK. See above

Don't confuse a dealer's license with an FFL. You can get an FFL from your home (including an 01, 06. and 07 depending on how your house is zoned). You can't get a MA dealer's license from your home.
A problem is all the exemptions to MGL (AW ban exemption, exemption from requirement to eFA-10 any gun you take possession of, etc.) are triggered by the MA license, not the state license.

The only state exemption triggered by the federal license is from the silencer ban if you have an 07 w/SOT.

There's some spotty info in this thread.

You don't need to take a class, but I teach an online class on how to properly fill out the application, also the limits to what you can and can't do with a C&R, the types of activities that are OK vs. the ones that can get you jammed up. I'm doing a class next week.

You don't need an inspection or interview to get a 03 FFL a.k.a. a C&R. You do need an interview for an 01 (dealer), 06 (Mfg of ammo), or 07 (Mfg of firearms and ammo) - also an 02 (pawnbroker) but you can't get an 02 in MA. Very few C&Rs ever get inspected. Usually it'll happen only if you're charged with another offense, report too many lost/stolen guns, or something on your books comes up in a trace. If that happens, you'd better make sure you have good records because an IRS audit is mild compared to one done by the ATF. I'm also doing a class on C&R Record Keeping.

You can ship to a C&R without having a C&R yourself. Long guns are easy, handguns are not so easy.

Thanks for that. Old school, don't have a camera on the old PC and don't have Zoom. Before retirement we did use the free version at work for quick meetings as it would shut you off after 30 minutes if I remember correctly.

When I see on GB a 99F in the .308 that sold for $1350 when the Gun Digest stated it's value to be $1200, which was the common theme BTW, I thought Gun Digest values are lower than realized values to which your statement seemed to be counter. I guess it come down to your interpretation of true value as I took it to mean book value.

GB asking prices are usually way higher than true value and selling prices
completed items search shows how much people paid. if you disagree with what people pay is fair - sure, why not. but it is still what people pay.

Thanks for that. Old school, don't have a camera on the old PC and don't have Zoom. Before retirement we did use the free version at work for quick meetings as it would shut you off after 30 minutes if I remember correctly.
You don't need either. Only a web browser. It's not a meeting, it's a webinar. Nobody's on camera (thank Christ).

Back
Top Bottom