• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun-firing airheads a New Year's tradition

blindndead

NES Member
By Eddie Jimenez / The Fresno Bee12/29/06 04:48:19

"I shot a bullet into the air, it fell to earth, I knew not where — nor do I care."

That's seems to be the motto of the idiots who believe it's a good idea to ring in the new year with gunfire.

Yeah, I know taking a shot at these numbskulls is too easy, pardon the bad pun, and one columnist's rant won't stop this dimwitted behavior.

I don't have any illusions that this will put an end to the insane tradition of drinking all night, stepping outside at midnight, pointing a gun in the air and pulling the trigger.

But humor me and allow me to vent just a little.

If nothing else, this might make at least a few people think twice about hoisting a few rounds and then firing off a few more with the naïve belief that it's all harmless and won't kill someone.

It does happen.

Eight years ago, a shot fired by a New Year's reveler killed a Visalia man. The bullet passed through the wall of his home and struck him in the head. The same year, two people in Fresno were wounded by New Year's gunfire.

And every year, there are similar incidents around the country.

Some people just don't learn.

Bill Ferguson of Fresno is a hunter and an NRA member. He doesn't pretend to speak for all members of the National Rifle Association, but he's right on target on the topic.

"To shoot into the air, you've got to be a moron," Ferguson said.

"I can't imagine — ever — a conscientious hunter going out and firing a gun in the air, let alone in the middle of a city."

The reasons for his disgust and frustration are twofold.

Safety, obviously, is the first one. He knows the dangers firsthand. A bullet put a hole on the outside wall of his bedroom about eight years ago on New Year's Eve. "We definitely heard it hit the house," Ferguson said.

Secondly, he doesn't appreciate that the ritual reflects poorly on all gun owners.

Ferguson said firing a shot in celebration violates one of the basic rules of gun safety — be sure of your target. "How can you be sure of your target if you're shooting it in the air?" he asked.

He wonders how many of the people who do this would throw rocks in the air and wait for them to come down.

And bullets come down with much greater force.

New Year's is a nightmarish evening for law-enforcement officers.

Lt. Neil Dadian with the Fresno County Sheriff's Department said officers check out complaints of "shots fired," but arresting and prosecuting someone is tough without a witness.

"If we don't see them doing the shooting, there's not a lot we can do," Dadian said.

He said gunfire on New Year's Eve in some neighborhoods is so widespread it sounds "like downtown Baghdad."

Dadian remembers many years ago when he and another officer were on New Year's Eve patrol parked near Cedar and Jensen avenues and a bullet hit the hood of their patrol car.

So what do bullets fired in the air have in common with the IQs of those who shoot them?

They both drop rapidly on New Year's Eve.

And that's no joke.
The columnist can be reached at [email protected] or (559) 441-6386.
http://www.fresnobee.com/190/story/21348.html

It isn't only on New Year's that these morons come out! Remember our labor day camping trip? That loonie couple that was asked to leave and the husband stupidly stuck his gun out the driver's side window to let off a shot on his way out, while passing the tent of his sleeping nephew, remember them?
[rolleyes]

It's not the terminal velocity that'll get'ya (as the bullet returns to Earth after being fired straight up),... it's the velocity of the bullet while it's still traveling forward and returning to earth from when the asshats pop-off a round or two at an elevated angle.

That's true. If was actually fired straight up, it's not an issue. Other than being an extremely stupid move.

Ferguson said firing a shot in celebration violates one of the basic rules of gun safety — be sure of your target.

Not really. When I lived in L.A., I was faced with a choice every New Year's Eve and Independence Day. I couldn't simply refrain from making really loud noises, which as everyone knows are required to freighten off the evil spirits and guanartee a good year. [wink] So what should I do? To set off fireworks would require that I import, possess, and use illiegal fireworks, three separate offenses, including a potential felony charge. On the other had, I could simply step out into my back yard and empty my 1911 safely into a large pile of recycled newspaper that I just carelessly happened to leave out in the rain (or in the absense of rain, while I was watering the lawn) the week before, a minor offense of discharging a firearm in a residential area. So you decide: felony, minor offense, a year filled with evil spirits. [shocked]

Ken

So you decide: felony, minor offense, a year filled with evil spirits.

Well, I think that those of us in the People's Commonwealth already have the last as a quarantee.

[sad]

Not really. When I lived in L.A., I was faced with a choice every New Year's Eve and Independence Day. I couldn't simply refrain from making really loud noises, which as everyone knows are required to freighten off the evil spirits and guanartee a good year. [wink] So what should I do? To set off fireworks would require that I import, possess, and use illiegal fireworks, three separate offenses, including a potential felony charge. On the other had, I could simply step out into my back yard and empty my 1911 safely into a large pile of recycled newspaper that I just carelessly happened to leave out in the rain (or in the absense of rain, while I was watering the lawn) the week before, a minor offense of discharging a firearm in a residential area. So you decide: felony, minor offense, a year filled with evil spirits. [shocked]

Ken
You aren't actually firing the gun into the air so there's no issue except for the minor offense part. We were saying it is wholly irresponsible to fire your weapon at the sky. [grin] You know you could always use snaps or a cap gun.[smile] Maybe even break a champagne bottle against the garage(loud noise!!!![wink] )

You aren't actually firing the gun into the air so there's no issue except for the minor offense part. We were saying it is wholly irresponsible to fire your weapon at the sky. [grin] You know you could always use snaps or a cap gun.[smile] Maybe even break a champagne bottle against the garage(loud noise!!!![wink] )

Will the popping of the champagne cork be loud enough? That's all we ever do. I can't say it actually works to scare away the evil spirits as my wife is still with me....LMAO!!!!![rofl]

That's all we do any more as well. There's really nothing to be gained from loud noises, since the evil spirits already own Massachusetts, lock, stock and barrel. [wink]

Ken

It isn't only on New Year's that these morons come out! Remember our labor day camping trip? That loonie couple that was asked to leave and the husband stupidly stuck his gun out the driver's side window to let off a shot on his way out, while passing the tent of his sleeping nephew, remember them?
[rolleyes]

Wow this sounds juicy! I can't get enough morons with guns stories. Tell us more.

B

Wow this sounds juicy! I can't get enough morons with guns stories. Tell us more.

B

Not much to tell. This couple was camping with us and a group of friends, and apparently they couldn't handle thier liquor. The wife started having a psycho fit trying to take everyone on and her husband tried defending her. We "kindly" asked them to leave, and the husband shot his gun out of the driver's side window while passing by the tent that his 7year old nephew was sleeping in.

Woman's Bra Saves Her From Bullet

By Associated Press
Fri Jan 5, 3:22 PM

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - One woman discovered on New Year's Eve that her bra could do more than lift and support when a falling bullet was halted by the bra strap on her left shoulder.

Debbie Bingham, 46, an Atlanta resident visiting family in St. Petersburg, said her gold bra slowed the falling bullet during the holiday celebrations.

Her injuries may have been much more severe had it not been for her bra strap, said George Kajtsa, spokesman for the St. Petersburg Police Department.

Bingham says she was outside with her daughter and son, ringing in the New Year and viewing the local fireworks display when she felt a sharp pain in her left shoulder at 11:40 p.m.

It was Bingham's daughter, Solanda Bingham, 30, who first noticed the blood seeping through her mother's white shirt.

"We were sitting at the picnic table and listening to music and my mom said, 'Ow,'" the daughter said.

The daughter said she looked over and saw the blood and shouted "My mother's been shot. My mother's been shot."

The bullet was halfway inside of Bingham's bra, and the other half barely breaking the skin, Bingham later told WTSP-TV.

Someone had fired a gun into the air and as the .45-caliber bullet fell back to earth, Bingham was struck. Kajtsa described the wound as a "big scratch with bruising."

Bingham was taken to Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg where she was given five stitches. The bullet was lodged into the bra tap was only removed when doctors intervened and cut the bullet from the strap.

St. Petersburg police are still searching for the shooter to determine if Bingham was the target of the gunfire or if she was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, Kajtsa said.

Shooting a weapon inside the city limits is a misdemeanor with a maximum fine of $1,000 and up to one year in jail, Kajtsa said.

As for Bingham, she said she is just thankful for her bra.

"It was a very cheap bra. It wasn't very expensive, and I'd love to have a couple more of those bras," she told WTSP.
http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/index.jsp?cat=STRANGE&fn=/2007/01/05/555947.html

Back
Top Bottom