Gun Free School Zone Act in NH

In open carry states, a person who brings a gun into a school polling place on Election Day would be in violation of federal law if the gun were not licensed, said Enza Sheehan, a spokesman for the FBI.
. . .
"If a voter does not have a concealed carry permit and carries a firearm into the school while voting, that person may be violating federal law," said (New Hampshire) Senior Assistant Attorney General Brian Buonamano last week.
Buonamano said local election officials, local police and state police cannot enforce the Gun Free School Zones Act, which is a federal law. He said anyone who feels a voter is violating the school gun law should contact the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or U.S. Attorney for New Hampshire.

Re-read the article.

"...violation of federal law if the gun were not licensed". None of the NH guns are licensed. What does that mean? Did they mean to say, "violation of federal law if the gun owner were not licensed"?

And another problem but a bit minor: "...voter does not have a concealed carry permit...". Nobody has a "permit' in NH either. We have licenses.

Words mean things. For something so sensitive - guns in schools - this bastardization of words really grates on me.

Re-read the article.

"...violation of federal law if the gun were not licensed". None of the NH guns are licensed. What does that mean? Did they mean to say, "violation of federal law if the gun owner were not licensed"?

And another problem but a bit minor: "...voter does not have a concealed carry permit...". Nobody has a "permit' in NH either. We have licenses.

Words mean things. For something so sensitive - guns in schools - this bastardization of words really grates on me.

The actual text of the law:
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
I think you are taking out of context what someone mis-quoted.

Re-read the article.

It is grating but you know what they meant when they said it. I think the state AAGs statement is more grating, considering that this Brian character should have referred to it
specifically eg- "...If a voter does not have a Pistol / Revolver License..."

-Mike

Re-read the article.

I agree and also, when it comes to legal porceedings, if laws are no worded correctly, it could be interperted wrong and have negative results on individuals.

The actual text of the law:

<removed>

I think you are taking out of context what someone mis-quoted.

Yes, I know. There are two separate problems. One is the total bastardization of language. By AGs no less. These people should know the difference.

It is grating but you know what they meant when they said it. I think the state AAGs statement is more grating, considering that this Brian character should have referred to it
specifically eg- "...If a voter does not have a Pistol / Revolver License..."

-Mike

Agreed. I was surprised that some nameless FBI source said NH P&Rs are good to go for GFSZA compliance.

The analysis/interpretation of Gun Owners of NH website sorta leaned the other way in terms of a resident P&R related to the GFSZA.

Yes, I know. There are two separate problems. One is the total bastardization of language. By AGs no less. These people should know the difference.

Agreed. I was surprised that some nameless FBI source said NH P&Rs are good to go for GFSZA compliance.

Well, not nameless and not just the FBI.

In open carry states, a person who brings a gun into a school polling place on Election Day would be in violation of federal law if the gun were not licensed, said Enza Sheehan, a spokesman for the FBI.

In New Hampshire, that license would be a concealed carry permit, she said.

State officials have been saying the same thing.

"If a voter does not have a concealed carry permit and carries a firearm into the school while voting, that person may be violating federal law," said Senior Assistant Attorney General Brian Buonamano last week.

Buonamano said local election officials, local police and state police cannot enforce the Gun Free School Zones Act, which is a federal law. He said anyone who feels a voter is violating the school gun law should contact the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or U.S. Attorney for New Hampshire.

The NH AG's office feels the same way.

The analysis/interpretation of Gun Owners of NH website sorta leaned the other way in terms of a resident P&R related to the GFSZA.

Frankly, that "analysis/interpretation" is the most poorly constructed argument I've seen, based on a tortured parsing on the actual wording of the law.

Sorry, I meant faceless. lol

I was always acclimated to the GoNH understanding of it.

Why was Penny Dean taking issue with the AAG? I didn't understand that part of the UL story.

Sorry, I meant faceless. lol

I was always acclimated to the GoNH understanding of it.

Why was Penny Dean taking issue with the AAG? I didn't understand that part of the UL story.

OMG! The poor woman has no face?!?

I think Penny Dean was bitching that the AAG was bitching that people OC'd to the polls, which she stated (correctly) has never been a problem in the past.

The point being, and I think this is lost on some, is that a government official has stated on record that a resident P&R is sufficent for GFSZA compliance.

And no, i didn't see her face. [grin]

Depending on who you talk to NH PR licenses are NOT GFSZ compliant, because of the "may be issued by town official" bullshit in NH... according to GFSZ, the exemption only works if the permits can only be issued by law enforcement or other persons listed in the law. That having been said, IMHO your odds of winning the powerball are far better than getting arrested by the feds for carrying a gun with a permit in NH on school grounds. I would feel pretty safe carrying on a resident PR lic at a school in NH if my permit had been issued by your local PD. That's ME though, obviously everyone should make their own risk assessment.

-Mike

With an OOS license issued by the NH State Police, I don't GAF whether a PRL *could* be issued by selectmen or not. I know mine meets the GFSZ standards.

That said, my daughter is graduating from HS and so I'm unlikely to ever need to set foot in a NH school again. Also, my FL OOS covers reciprocity for every state my NH one does except for PA, so I'm letting the NH one lapse next week rather than throw them another $100.

With an OOS license issued by the NH State Police, I don't GAF whether a PRL *could* be issued by selectmen or not. I know mine meets the GFSZ standards.

That said, my daughter is graduating from HS and so I'm unlikely to ever need to set foot in a NH school again. Also, my FL OOS covers reciprocity for every state my NH one does except for PA, so I'm letting the NH one lapse next week rather than throw them another $100.

I guess the only way to correct the possible deficiency is have all P&R licenses issued by law-enforcement. So no town selectmen, managers, etc. That would make it indisputable. That being said, I think Mike (drgrant) is right on the money on this.

Back
Top Bottom