Gun license - politically incorrect

That was the accepted term back then, by everyone. Don't forget that the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and United Negro College Fund were not named by white folks. I bet there are some college prof. types who would try and claim they were names created by "self-hating African-Americans", but they would be wrong.

1962. "Negro" was equivalent to "Caucasian" as description of race on forms.

"Oriental" was acceptable also.

"Purple Penguins" not sure of...

Last edited:
In the late 60's they wanted to be referred to as "black". That is a far as I have and am willing to go. If they want to be referred to as African-American they can get that from someone other than me.

They can refer to me as white, cracker, whatever blows their skirts up. I don't give a fvck.

Wait; 6'2" Negro working for Hertz ?

a96843_a518_hertz.jpg

Its pure idiocy that the socially acceptable term keeps changing. Colored changed to Negro changed to Black changed to African American.

Just like crippled changed to handicapped changed to disabled changed to differentlyabled.

Just like Chinaman changed to Oriental changed to Asian

Just like Moron changed to Feeble minded changed to mentally retarded changed to developmentally disabled. (oops, differently abled)

Its pure idiocy that the socially acceptable term keeps changing. Colored changed to Negro changed to Black changed to African American.
You forgot "of color".

Just like Moron changed to Feeble minded changed to mentally retarded changed to developmentally disabled. (oops, differently abled)
It's interesting how terms that are no longer politically correct get embedded in organizational names - another example is the MA Department if Mental Retardation - when "retard" is now an un-PC term. The term was never appropriate as "retard" means "delayed" and, unfortunately, most people with the condition formerly known as mental retardation are by no means "delayed", but rather "stunded" in intellectual development.

Last edited:
Many years ago my wife was working in a medical office and they had a black guy from Germany as a patient. When someone in the office referred to him as an African-American, he said that he was neither African nor American and preferred to be called a German if they wanted to use his ethnicity to differentiate him from other patients.

Just like crippled changed to handicapped changed to disabled changed to differentlyabled.

Just like Chinaman changed to Oriental changed to Asian

African American is not the latest; it's Person of Color (POC). African-American is/was stupid since not everyone with dark skin is American or identifies as African.

Ok, Ill play some more.

Somewhere along the way the concept of "discriminating on the basis of race, sex, sexual oritntation" got shortened to just discriminating.

To say you discriminate is not bad.

You may discriminate on the basis of where your wines are made. In fact having discriminating taste used to be a compliment.

I like to get people at work going by telling them that I discriminate all the time. Then I talk about my preferences in steak, beer, etc.

Good fun at the PCs expense.

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the original topic.

Its interesting that a black man would be in possession of a P38 back then. I wonder if he was a vet and it was a war bring-back trophy.

Don

It's interesting how terms that are no longer politically correct get embedded in organizational names - another example is the MA Department if Mental Retardation - when "retard" is now an un-PC term. The term was never appropriate as "retard" means "delayed" and, unfortunately, most people with the condition formerly known as mental retardation are by no means "delayed", but rather "stunded" in intellectual development.

I had to deal with DMR back when my Sister was alive. They did change their name to be more PC, don't recall what it is now and thankfully I have no further dealings with them.

You forgot "of color".

At least in that case, "retard" became an insult and therefore was made un-PC. I can understand why people with the condition, and their families, might not like the term anymore.

Many years ago my wife was working in a medical office and they had a black guy from Germany as a patient. When someone in the office referred to him as an African-American, he said that he was neither African nor American and preferred to be called a German if they wanted to use his ethnicity to differentiate him from other patients.
Well, he was right about it I'd say. In Germany the whole concept of distinguishing people on race is considered - well - racist (nowadays at least).

My bottom line:

Fella was born in 1912, probably fought the Hun and saw his friends fall around him in WWII. This P38 might be a bring back.

Happy he got to keep it

Don't be. I call everyone "Hun" or "Darlin"...

Men... As stated, it was the vernacular of the time.

Politically Incorrect is the terms on the back of the deed to my buddys place in Michigan... Built in the late 50s, the deed very clearly states that the property is not to be transferred to Negroes.
The house also has a trash incinerator in the basement. Much has changed in the last 60ish years.

I had a discussion with someone about what qualifies as "African American"

He said he was all about having an ancestor who was taken against their will and brought to the US. (Slave trade)

I asked about the President.....

He indicated that despite the President's father coming to the US willingly, Obama was still African American since he has a parent with citizenship in one of the African nations, and is himself a citizen of the US.

I asked if that made the Children of Dave Matthews "African American" Since he was born in South Africa....and they were born in the US.....

His reply

"Not to be racist, but they are white"

buddy of mine in the service was born in south africa....
got his naturalization....
checks off "african american" on all his paperwork.....

he inspired me to apply for NAACP scholarships..... "CP" "colored people"

white is a color.....
and i have tattoos, i'm more colored than most!

red, green, blue, yellow, black, brown.... i'm lots of colors

Years ago, doing military physicals, the only choices were "Caucasoid, Mongaloid, or Negroid. Had to check one. Dudes got miffed "I ain't no Mongaloid" lol.

Back
Top Bottom