• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Literature - In countries other than the US

Yep...yet another 'is it legal' thread.

A few years ago I went to Japan on military orders and brought some gun related literature to hold me over until I got back to the good ol' U. S. of A., but never really thought about it because

A. I was on military orders and the US is basically Japans military.
B. All of my personal belongings were to be kept on base and would only be traveling in luggage to/from airport
C. I don't THINK Japan is on any list of countries that prohibits INFORMATION, but I could be wrong there.

So, I'm going to Spain next week and have no idea what the climate is like. I'll be staying off base with commissioned military personnel, but am not really sure if I can even legally bring along books related to firearms or be at risk to have them confiscated or even get in trouble over them in any way.

This is my first time traveling with my fiancee out of the country, so I don't want to make a boob out of myself. A long plane ride and basically nothing else that interests me on the planet other than guns makes for a very short list of reading material subject matter.

What say the NES braintrust?

bring e-books, problem solved

/thread

i'm not that fancy. for someone that's technically a millenial (37 years old and at the very top end of the date list associated), I can't seem to get into the whole e book thing. Something about it just doesn't feel right if i'm not turning pages and folding over a corner of a page or leaving a book mark where I left off. it just feels good in my hands, i guess.

This seems like something the military would have already thought about, and have an answer for.

What sort of literature?

Shooting is an olympic sport, so I wouldn't worry about run of the mill hunting or marksmanship publications.

Unintended Consequences or a Boston T. Party book might raise a few eyebrows. But they very well might not. Especially if you dont flaunt it. Remove the dust cover if its a hardcover.

That assumes that they even look at your stuff. Ive been to Europe three times over the past 15 years. Brought a bunch of Field and Stream magazines to Germany in 05 or so. Dont recall my carry on items getting a second look. No idea if they looked at my checked bag or not.

Skip Spain and go strait to Russia. You can buy your reading material there and it's probably OK if you can't read the language...

O7kbEIo.jpg

And who are you calling old, anyway? LOL you should see the gun related reading I take with me on a Kindle Fire to dozens of foreign countries. I think you are OK unless you go to NZ. The NZ approved reading list looks like this:

779463.jpg

Last edited:
i'm not that fancy. for someone that's technically a millenial (37 years old and at the very top end of the date list associated), I can't seem to get into the whole e book thing. Something about it just doesn't feel right if i'm not turning pages and folding over a corner of a page or leaving a book mark where I left off. it just feels good in my hands, i guess.

He gave you an excellent solution. I’m older than you, and I prefer a tactile book too, but there are times (like this one) when an ebook just makes more sense. Especially if the alternative is, what, the in-flight magazine?

Branch out. Apply yourself. You can learn.

Brief tangent here OP, but do you have any recommendations on decent gun reads? Fiction, non-fiction, doesn't matter. I have some time off coming up and wouldn't mind downloading something decent myself. I've given up on John Ross ever coming out with a sequel to Unintended Consequences.

Brief tangent here OP, but do you have any recommendations on decent gun reads? Fiction, non-fiction, doesn't matter. I have some time off coming up and wouldn't mind downloading something decent myself. I've given up on John Ross ever coming out with a sequel to Unintended Consequences.

Read this book. You will appreciate the genius of John Moses Browning more. I read a first edition, published back in the 60s, because I got it through my college's library.

John M. Browning, American Gunmaker Biography

Anything in English you can probably already get here in the US. The more interesting stuff about native firearms are probably going be in the native language. There's probably some cool books about Japanese or Spanish firearms that aren't in English and may have information largely unknown to the English speaking world.

Not sure if you are looking for your typical high volume gun magazine or something more academic, but I'd second bringing whatever you want with you rather than trying to find it in country.

Back
Top Bottom