Gun politics and the 2008 election.

GUN CONTROL POLITICS AND THE 2008 FEDERAL ELECTIONS

Of the 23 candidates for the U.S. Senate endorsed by the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund, the NRA-endorsed candidate won in at least 14 of these races, with the outcome still uncertain in Alaska, Georgia, Minnesota and Oregon

Potential net loss of at least three Senate seats - Colorado, New Hampshire, New Mexico and North Carolina

After the 2006 elections, NRA ratings in the Senate comprised 47 A-rated, four B-rated, six C-rated, twelve D-rated and 32 F-rated

In the 111th Congress, NRA ratings in the Senate comprise 41 A-rated, two B-rated, nine C-rated, twelve D-rated and 32 F-rated (with four seats still uncertain)

Three pro-gun Senate freshmen include: Jim Risch (ID), Mike Johanns (NE) and Mark Warner (VA)

Of the 248 candidates for the U.S. House of Representatives endorsed by the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund, the NRA-endorsed candidate won in at least 216 of these races, with the outcome still uncertain in six races, including CA-4, LA-4, MD-1, OH-15, VA-5 and WA-8

After the 2006 elections, NRA ratings in the House comprised 226 A-rated, 28 B-rated, twelve C-rated, thirteen D-rated, 149 F-rated and seven ?-rated

In the 111th Congress, NRA rating in the House comprise 222 A-rated, seventeen B-rated, fourteen C-rated, 22 D-rated, 150 F-rated and three ?-rated

There were election upgrades in four House seats, including MD-1, MN-3, NJ-7 and OR-5 but setbacks in thirteen House districts including AZ-1, CO-4, FL-8, FL-24, ID-1, MI-7, MI-9, NJ-3, NY-13, NY-25, NY-29, OH-1 and PA-3

There were no gun vote changes - for better or worse - in the following 23 Houses districts despite changes in the congressmen (and their party in some cases) representing these districts: AL-2, AL-5, CA-52, CO-2, CO-6, CT-4, FL-15, FL-16, IL-11, IL-18, KS-2, KY-2, LA-6, ME-1, MO-9, NY-21, NY-26, OH-7, OH-16, PA-5, TN-1, TX-22 and VA-2

The 26 pro-gun House freshmen (9 Democrats and 17 Republicans) include: Bobby Bright (AL-2), Parker Griffith (AL-5), Duncan Hunter (CA-52), Mike Coffman (CO-6), Bill Posey (FL-15), Tom Rooney (FL-16), Debbie Halvorson (IL-11), Aaron Schock (IL-18), Brett Guthrie (KY-2), Bill Cassidy (LA-6), Erik Paulsen (MN-3), Gregg Harper (MS-3), Blaine Luetkemeyer (MO-9), Martin Heinrich (NM-1), Harry Teague (NM-2), Chris Lee (NY-26), Larry Kissell (NC-8), Steve Austria (OH-7), John Boccieri (OH-16), Kurt Schrader (OR-5), Glenn Thompson (PA-5), Phil Roe (TN-1), Pete Olson (TX-22), Jason Chaffetz (UT-3), Glenn Nye (VA-2) and Cynthia Lummis (WY-AL)
------------------------------

My analysis: Any major gun control legislation is highly unlikely. We're safe, for now. But we should always keep our guard up.

GUN CONTROL POLITICS AND THE 2008 FEDERAL ELECTIONS

My analysis: Any major gun control legislation is highly unlikely. We're safe, for now. But we should always keep our guard up.

I might agree, for 2009-2010, but have my doubts thereafter.

If Obama starts appointing federal judges before incorporation of the 2nd amendment occurs, that is, before it's applied to states as well as the federal government, I can see momentum on the Heller decision start to back-slide.

Guard up - and strike first!

Back
Top Bottom