Gun-Rights Activist Releases Blueprints for Digital Guns

Reptile

NES Member
Cody Wilson calls the move impervious to legal challenge
A U.S. technology company made thousands of digital-gun files publicly available, including blueprints that will enable users to make plastic guns with three-dimensional printers, a scourge of gun-control advocates.

Cody Wilson, a director of the company, Defcad, has waged a multiyear legal battle against the federal government over the right to share 3-D-gun-related materials. This was the third time he has released such files, but the first time he has abided by U.S. foreign export controls online, using what he said are digital verification tools to ensure legal file downloads.

Mr. Wilson said he believed his release of the files would be “impervious” to legal challenge and would help normalize the distribution of such material for easy download in the future.
Mr. Wilson is offering access to the files for an annual fee of $50, characterizing his service as “Netflix for 3-D guns.”

I used to champion this dude's ideas. Then he went to Thailand and got busted with his pant's down. Didn't he?

Wait, he is back in control? But he is a PP due to his sentence (he is still on probation, thus sentence not complete) right?

It's a gimmick, somewhat like slidefire. I'm not sure the 'optics' are good for the majority of firearms. Now, I'm working on my wife for a GG3 purchase. I didn't get a 'hell no', this time.

Another article:
Defcad, a website for 3D-printed gun blueprints, is back online:
Positioned as a defense of personal freedoms, the site enables people in the U.S. to download designs for deadly weapons and freely share them.

Defcad makes thousands of downloadable blueprints for 3D-printable guns available online for a $50 yearly subscription fee. One of the company's directors, Cody Wilson, calls the company "Netflix for 3D guns." Back in 2013, Defcad was forced to shut down by the U.S. State Department, which was worried about foreign nationals downloading the blueprints. But now, after a seven-year hiatus, the Wall Street Journal reports Defcad is back online, and taking it down is going to be hard.

In fact, Wilson believes it's going to be nearly impossible to challenge his site's right to exist because he's now vetting would-be downloaders to ensure he complies with the legislation around both exports and firearms. While his measures might appease lawmakers, they do nothing to prevent the sharing of blueprints for what amount to untraceable weapons that sidestep many of the key checks and measures intended to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't own them in the first place.

SKIRTING THE LAW, ONE MEASURE AT A TIME — When Wilson first started Defcad back in 2012, the site was open to the public. Anyone at all could simply type in the URL and browse a variety of gun designs for download. Federal law prohibits making your own guns at home, but Defcad doesn't produce guns. It only shares blueprints for them. Wilson says he doesn’t expect the designs to be used for actual gun-making. Instead, says he sees the site as a form of resistance against limits on personal freedoms.

It's a gimmick, somewhat like slidefire. I'm not sure the 'optics' are good for the majority of firearms. Now, I'm working on my wife for a GG3 purchase. I didn't get a 'hell no', this time.
Depends what you mean by "it." If you're talking about the Liberator, or FDM 3D printing generally, then absolutely. If you're talking about distributing design files (or better still, g-code) for designs that can be manufactured at home, then there's little gimmick here. Sure, they're leaning on the GG and 80% lowers right now, but there's no reason that there couldn't be designs developed and delivered by a larger community that work from stock. Obviously, designs and drawings already exist in the wild, but having more options is always a good thing.

Depends what you mean by "it." If you're talking about the Liberator, or FDM 3D printing generally, then absolutely. If you're talking about distributing design files (or better still, g-code) for designs that can be manufactured at home, then there's little gimmick here. Sure, they're leaning on the GG and 80% lowers right now, but there's no reason that there couldn't be designs developed and delivered by a larger community that work from stock. Obviously, designs and drawings already exist in the wild, but having more options is always a good thing.

You did read where I'm seriously thinking about getting the GG3 and making some 'off the record' guns? Maybe my Trump money will go towards it. Obama gave out phones, Trump could give out guns. What a country.

Yes, the one off plastic 'guns' are a gimmick. Would I rather the plastic gun over nothing? I'd have to see how it shot, but I'd still rather a 12 Ga type shell over a single small pistol round. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather a blade over that thing. Easier to conceal, possibly more lethal.

You did read where I'm seriously thinking about getting the GG3 and making some 'off the record' guns? Maybe my Trump money will go towards it. Obama gave out phones, Trump could give out guns. What a country.

Yes, the one off plastic 'guns' are a gimmick. Would I rather the plastic gun over nothing? I'd have to see how it shot, but I'd still rather a 12 Ga type shell over a single small pistol round. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather a blade over that thing. Easier to conceal, possibly more lethal.
On board with everything you just said.

I suppose my point is simply to stop thinking about the work as having anything to do with the original printed project, and look at everything else they've done since. The liberator is (always was) a red herring. So let's stop tackling about it at all and just lean on the parts that matter.

I'd be scared to shoot one of those damn things.
I'm already left handed so I don't want the nickname "Righty"
Sounds just wrong.
A printed AR lower might be more useful. For as long as it held up.

I'd be scared to shoot one of those damn things.
I'm already left handed so I don't want the nickname "Righty"
Sounds just wrong.
A printed AR lower might be more useful. For as long as it held up.

I wouldn't trust it either. I'm not sure printing is that ready for prime time yet. Yeah, it can make neat one off's, but something capable to dealing with enough pressure to push a bullet effectively? It's got to be thick and bulky, 2 things you don't want in a self defense weapon.

Back
Top Bottom