• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun season opener weather forecast is shaping up to be insanely perfect.

Excellent.

Push the deer to me my fellow ma**h***s!

No seriously, I hunt out of state but on the state line, when MA opens it pushes the deer that thought they could get away from us out in MA back on the property.

For the people that hunt smaller eastern woodlots it might matter. You can use houses and roads like fences and push and pinch small woodlots. The challenge is posted land and not shooting too close to a house. The deer get educated fast but can be less wary cause they are used to people.

Doesnt really change things that much. Out by me we usually have snow a good part of the season.
Youll still have to walk a good bit if you want to track a deer down , as the deer poplulation is probably like northern maine in spots.

That and usually youll end up pushing a deer to someone else a lot of times.

Trackjng Deer around here in big woods MA Shotgun are generally not like northern Maine or NH deer that are being hunted two to three weeks earlier in the rut. One sight or whiff of you and they are two miles away.
Big bucks anyway.

I do enjoy that I can go after a larger animal and leave the dink buck and doe tracks alone. Snow season is a good time to scout big animals for bow season next year.

Last edited:
95% of my hunting has been with a bow for me over the years. However, I have an inline now and have been practicing quite a bit and have been shooting about one inch groups rested out to a 100 yards. Usually I stay out of the timber when the orange army is out but I am about to join the ranks this year. I really want to take a deer with a gun. It would be a first for me. My plan is to climb a tree way the heck in the woods, hoping that everyone pushes them toward me. I am hoping my patience will pay off. Best of luck to all that will be heading out. Pete

For the people that hunt smaller eastern woodlots it might matter. You can use houses and roads like fences and push and pinch small woodlots. The challenge is posted land and not shooting too close to a house. The deer get educated fast but can be less wary cause they are used to people.

Doesnt really change things that much. Out by me we usually have snow a good part of the season.
Youll still have to walk a good bit if you want to track a deer down , as the deer poplulation is probably like northern maine in spots.

That and usually youll end up pushing a deer to someone else a lot of times.

Trackjng Deer around here in big woods MA Shotgun are generally not like northern Maine or NH deer that are being hunted two to three weeks earlier in the rut. One sight or whiff of you and they are two miles away.
Big bucks anyway.

I do enjoy that I can go after a larger animal and leave the dink buck and doe tracks alone. Snow season is a good time to scout big animals for bow season next year.
If your driving deer with friends the fresh snow helps. The tracks are only a few hours old so you can pin down which woodlot to push.

Last edited:
I wonder if snow shoes would be helpful if the snowfall is 6 or more inches? I’ve never hunted in snowpack before but look forward to the tracking enhancement. Also would snow camo clothing be helpful too? This is coming from a guy is going solo without driving but rather sit and stalk all day.

Last edited:
Eh... Don't get your hopes too high. At least south of Boston.

The weather forecast has the snow coming in late Sunday. However, it switches to rain overnight and it's going to rain all day Monday (100% chance) with high wind and be 10 degrees over freezing. If you're hunting in that crap, you're more hardcore then me. I'm all set with that mess. Any snow that was on the ground from Sun will be gone by opening light on Mon. That according to both weather underground and AccuWeather.

I wonder if snow shoes would be helpful if the snowfall is 6 or more inches? I’ve never hunted in snowpack before but look forward to the tracking enhancement. Also would snow camo clothing be helpful too? This is coming from a guy is going solo without driving but rather sit and stalk all day.

You should be fine without snowshoes if you're not climbing steeps. Any snow cover this early in the season will likely be over loose leaf litter, which could be a bit slippery. My snowshoes suck for hunting (noisy), so I just hike slowly with my Muck boots.

You should be fine without snowshoes if you're not climbing steeps. Any snow cover this early in the season will likely be over loose leaf litter, which could be a bit slippery. My snowshoes suck for hunting (noisy), so I just hike slowly with my Muck boots.
Great thank you! I may be going steep due to the fact that I’m going it alone. I’ve researched that deer will climb high to get away during gun season openers. I’m willing to separate the day into several types of hunts. Morning maybe sit over food plots until the army arrives then move to creek beds and high ridges to catch the retreating deer. Sit lunchtime. Towards evening move back to food plots and bedding funnels.

You don't need camo at all. Your wearing an orange vest anyway right?

I wear caarharts coveralls and a green arbortech sweatshirt under an orange vest. Had deer walk within 5 feet of me in that clothing.

Just sit still.

Snowshoes in 6 inches of snow is way overkill.

You don't need camo at all. Your wearing an orange vest anyway right?

I wear caarharts coveralls and a green arbortech sweatshirt under an orange vest. Had deer walk within 5 feet of me in that clothing.

Just sit still.

Snowshoes in 6 inches of snow is way overkill.
Good points. Thanks whacko

I’ll throw this out there. Anyone want a new hunter on a drive? I don’t mind traveling far and wide in the thickest and nastiest stuff. I’ve been scouting like this since September.

I’ll throw this out there. Anyone want a new hunter on a drive? I don’t mind traveling far and wide in the thickest and nastiest stuff. I’ve been scouting like this since September.
I would definitely offer to have you join our group.....but it's fort devens and requires a background check by dod police and a pre registration that closes in October.

Well this storm is turning out to be a long term event through Tuesday morning and we might be seeing in upwards of 8-12” in Eastern MA. Central MA will be getting close to that after all is said and done. Should be pretty insane for Day 1 in MA!

We are probably going to get a foot or more in North Central. Any more than 4-6 inches of snow becomes a pain in ass real quick. Snowshoes dont make it any better until you lay down some tracks back and forth for a few days. In new snow, your cutting track which is just as hard as trudging with regular boot feet.

Also, Deer might start yarding behavior. Awesome. That means if you can find them great, youll find a bunch.

If not, the woods basically becomes void of deer. Standing in woods with little pressure becomes useless. I usually have to start walking thich hemlock swamps hopling to find groups of deer. Trudging thru over a foot of snow is just not my bag anymore. Ill go bowhunt CT with no snow on the ground instead.

We are probably going to get a foot or more in North Central. Any more than 4-6 inches of snow becomes a pain in ass real quick. Snowshoes dont make it any better until you lay down some tracks back and forth for a few days. In new snow, your cutting track which is just as hard as trudging with regular boot feet.

Also, Deer might start yarding behavior. Awesome. That means if you can find them great, youll find a bunch.

If not, the woods basically becomes void of deer. Standing in woods with little pressure becomes useless. I usually have to start walking thich hemlock swamps hopling to find groups of deer. Trudging thru over a foot of snow is just not my bag anymore. Ill go bowhunt CT with no snow on the ground instead.
Yeah, I’m still gonna do it though just for posture.

Good luck tomorrow folks. Stay safe.....while hunting and while driving around in the snow. Alarm set for 2am......thermos is primed boiling water.....all the gear and clothes are ready.....sandwiches made......hitting the rack early tonight. Hoping the snow doesn't yard them up too bad.

I'm in the thick band 14"-16"

StormTotalSnow.png

Got my Browning Gold Deer Hunter ready. Accutips and SST’s. All other necessary gear ready to go. Even got a sled in the trunk. I’ll use that for fun if a deer doesn’t get placed on it 😂

Good luck to thehunters going out tomorrow. it Will be after the snow ends for me.

I have only seen them truly yard up once. It takes some serious cold and long term snow cover for them to yard up. I would definitely focus on thermal cover tomorrow; especially if it’s windy.

Bob

I’m envious of all you guys that will have snow cover to hunt in tomorrow morning. With the rain and temps I’m guessing guys in my crew are gonna start dropping like flies before noon.

Coffee and in hand and ready to go!

Doing a small team drive with 2 other hunters this morning. Hitting those hemlock and pine stands hard. Climb the ridges from the south and scope the laurel patches. Should be a great time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom