• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Shop Life

watchman

NES Member
So I went to a gun shop yesterday to buy a new rifle that I had wanted and god knows before (insert; Biden, Maura, Dems in general) stop us from getting more. I had time and needed to go for a ride so I went to a place that had the rifle in stock. Well, I can say I wanted to go more for a ride to get away from yard work than go to that particular shop but I really wanted the rifle so off I went.

Well I am not a big fan of lines but there was one actually I shouldn't have been surprised but I was. It was funny there seemed to be a lot of salivating people just by checking the crowd almost like kids going to the candy store. Finally got to the rifle did the paper work whole nine yards and off it went to NICS now the wait. So what do you do while you wait?? Do you peruse the other stuff hanging on the wall maybe the gun shop not NICS make you wait so you'll buy more stuff not me though I'm different.

I was watching and listening to all these people buying guns and the counter staff showing them how to use the guns. The store was filled with many age groups from young to old and most were buying their first handgun. It was interesting they would grab 38 special ammo put in on the counter wanting to buy a 9MM handgun thank god the guys at the counter aren't stupid. Most didn't even know what they came in to buy they just thought the one they were looking at in the glass case was the one they were looking for. Now, not for nothing but before I buy a car, lawnmower or case of beer I know what I am buying before I step foot in the door so the lack of knowledge is not good but hey maybe lots of barely used guns for the rest of us in the future. Either way most will agree adding more pro gun owners to our side is good but many of these same people listening to what they know about the gun will probably shoot themselves and then there could be my experience below:

So your going to ask me how I had so much time to stand around on a Saturday with my finger up my ... in a gun shop? Well I got FREAKING DELAYED!!!! DELAYED I HAVE NEVER BEEN DElAYED AND I WAS PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!
The counter guy said they were getting lots of delays because of all the gun sales and NICS couldn't keep up so although I am a proponent of adding new forces to the 2A movement I am changing my mind because they are working in reverse keeping us from our guns just like the Dems want!

When I used to go to gunshops I found it hilarious that people go there looking for a salesman to make up their mind for them, or show them what to buy. I have read on here a bunch of times where people were pissed because a salesman didn't cater to them and hold their hand while buying a weapon.

I have never walked into a place not knowing exactly what I am going to buy, I have never impulse purchased a weapon. Ammo, different story, my basement if filled with impulse ammo purchases. [thinking]

When I used to go to gunshops I found it hilarious that people go there looking for a salesman to make up their mind for them, or show them what to buy. I have read on here a bunch of times where people were pissed because a salesman didn't cater to them and hold their hand while buying a weapon.

I have never walked into a place not knowing exactly what I am going to buy, I have never impulse purchased a weapon. Ammo, different story, my basement if filled with impulse ammo purchases. [thinking]

Agreed. I guess there are people who just don't have anyone to guide them but how do you not do the basic research on a purchase like this? Tactical Dynamics teaches a class just about what gun to buy, they let you shoot a whole bunch of popular models and learn the pros & cons of each - I presume they still teach it, saw the class once at Independent in Foxboro and I talked to the instructor and he said it was very popular.

I get asked all the time what first gun someone should buy and I have them come over for a little show and tell.

At least you were at a competent LGS, I have heard conversations between noob customers and the guys behind the counter at BassPro that would make you cringe. And the customers assume the guy behind the counter is an authority...

*Raising hand slowly*...I was one of those, no Father, uncle, brother or friend to guide me. Been told all my life how dangerous they were. Looked at every gun in the glass case pretty much. Thought 200 rounds and a box of hollow points was all I would every need. So I’m a man of the people and feel their pain.

3 years later I’ve converted 6 folks to the cause, helped 2 of them buy their first gun and working on 7 and 8....so the more of those lost sheep in the gun store we help the better in my opinion.

*Raising hand slowly*...I was one of those, no Father, uncle, brother or friend to guide me. Been told all my life how dangerous they were. Looked at every gun in the glass case pretty much. Thought 200 rounds and a box of hollow points was all I would every need. So I’m a man of the people and feel their pain.

3 years later I’ve converted 6 folks to the cause, helped 2 of them buy their first gun and working on 7 and 8....so the more of those lost sheep in the gun store we help the better in my opinion.

Good job. I was one of those guys too when it came to handguns. But I did some research and narrowed it down quite a bit before I stoped foot in the gun shop. And since then I have converted several people and helped them get their first guns (and also tried to help them avoid the mistakes I made even though some people just have to learn the hard way - like me).

<edit> and my fist handgun in MA was a... <drumroll> M&P .40 full size in 2013 😂😂😂. But a 9mm drop in barrell and 20plus guns later, I have it all figured out!

Last edited:
So I went to a gun shop yesterday to buy a new rifle that I had wanted and god knows before (insert; Biden, Maura, Dems in general) stop us from getting more. I had time and needed to go for a ride so I went to a place that had the rifle in stock. Well, I can say I wanted to go more for a ride to get away from yard work than go to that particular shop but I really wanted the rifle so off I went.

Well I am not a big fan of lines but there was one actually I shouldn't have been surprised but I was. It was funny there seemed to be a lot of salivating people just by checking the crowd almost like kids going to the candy store. Finally got to the rifle did the paper work whole nine yards and off it went to NICS now the wait. So what do you do while you wait?? Do you peruse the other stuff hanging on the wall maybe the gun shop not NICS make you wait so you'll buy more stuff not me though I'm different.

I was watching and listening to all these people buying guns and the counter staff showing them how to use the guns. The store was filled with many age groups from young to old and most were buying their first handgun. It was interesting they would grab 38 special ammo put in on the counter wanting to buy a 9MM handgun thank god the guys at the counter aren't stupid. Most didn't even know what they came in to buy they just thought the one they were looking at in the glass case was the one they were looking for. Now, not for nothing but before I buy a car, lawnmower or case of beer I know what I am buying before I step foot in the door so the lack of knowledge is not good but hey maybe lots of barely used guns for the rest of us in the future. Either way most will agree adding more pro gun owners to our side is good but many of these same people listening to what they know about the gun will probably shoot themselves and then there could be my experience below:

So your going to ask me how I had so much time to stand around on a Saturday with my finger up my ... in a gun shop? Well I got FREAKING DELAYED!!!! DELAYED I HAVE NEVER BEEN DElAYED AND I WAS PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!
The counter guy said they were getting lots of delays because of all the gun sales and NICS couldn't keep up so although I am a proponent of adding new forces to the 2A movement I am changing my mind because they are working in reverse keeping us from our guns just like the Dems want!
Lots buying first guns you say? My guess is you were at four seasons or a bass pro/Cabela's. 🤣

yeah, like @Greg, i know exactly what i want when i walk into a shop. but unlike him, i have impulse bought a couple of guns in my time on earth.

i usually want to get in and get out, no chit chat with the help and do a giant eye roll when the salesman wants to read the safety brochure to me word for word and asks me if i know how to use a trigger lock. well, sure! i know how to use a key.

but if i were making a gun shop a destination place i guess i'd want to spend the day there.

Never buy a gun on the weekend, and certainlty not in this climate. It's worth taking a couple hours off of work during the week to make sure you're in one of the quieter times to allow for the check to go through.

yeah, like @Greg, i know exactly what i want when i walk into a shop. but unlike him, i have impulse bought a couple of guns in my time on earth.

i usually want to get in and get out, no chit chat with the help and do a giant eye roll when the salesman wants to read the safety brochure to me word for word and asks me if i know how to use a trigger lock. well, sure! i know how to use a key.

but if i were making a gun shop a destination place i guess i'd want to spend the day there.

I guess I should have maybe prefaced with the fact that I like really nice guns that tend to cost over $1k, or say $500 for a hand gun..Now if I was into all the other "cheap shit" like milsurps and sub $300 guns I would probably have a metric shit ton of them by now lol

Im still waiting to receive my ltc, the silver lining being I can save cash for the next 2 months. Having said that, the time I have until then has allowed me to do a ton of research. If I can find it in the shop I know the exact brands/models/calibers im looking for. Supply by that time will be the biggest hurdle I imagine

Im still waiting to receive my ltc, the silver lining being I cansave cash for the next 2 months. Having said that, the time I have until then has allowed me to do a ton of research. If I can find it in the shop I know the exact brands/models/calibers im looking for. Supply by that time will be the biggest hurdle I imagine

Start heading up to NH and buy ammo in the meantime..In 2 months there might not be any more the way all these sheep are panic buying ammo at ridiculous prices. lol

We were all new to this at one point. Like a few posts above I had no one that shot while I was growing up. I took it upon myself to get into guns and shooting. First shop I bought from I went in there and asked a ton of questions. I may have shot a gun a handful of times in my entire life before that. Added to the fun is I'm left handed. I am very happy they were willing to help me being brand new to shooting. I've given them a bunch of business since then and I will continue to do so.

Be one of the people that helps out instead of making someone feel shitty about being new. Used to see it all the time in motorcycle racing.

I usually know what I want but sometimes holding it in your hand makes a difference. In fact, the last two guns I bought were not what I was going in for. Went in for a Mossberg MC1 and left with a P365. Went in for a Maverick 88 and left with an 8+1, 590. I have no problem talking myself in to pricier options :rolleyes:

People are not surrounded by a vast array of guns to have a Idea of what they might want.
We grow up seeing all sorts of cars, TVs, Cloths , watches ectect. So we can usually have a good idea of what we want when we decide to buy something.
I have mentioned before that as far as gun owners around me.....its about a 1/12 ratio.
So except for google/net many people do not know where to turn to for "what gun"
Today is a little easier ( well covid is messing things up) you have ranges to visit to try guns before you buy.
My neighbor commented on the gun fire we where hearing few weekends ago (1st weekend range was open again) said to me
"I dont know who lives over there but they shoot alot!" I laughed and told him thats the gun club.
He was not aware of a gun club that close. i laughed again and said your surrounded by clubs when i told him there where 10 with in 30 min he was just stumped.

Im still waiting to receive my ltc, the silver lining being I can save cash for the next 2 months. Having said that, the time I have until then has allowed me to do a ton of research. If I can find it in the shop I know the exact brands/models/calibers im looking for. Supply by that time will be the biggest hurdle I imagine
I would offer one piece of advice, find a club nearby or a friend at a club, ask him/her to help you select your first gun, if they offer, try shooting one of their's or as many as they will let you, you will find at some clubs there are many people who will be willing and able to help. You will never know which gun you like or love till after you shoot it, for me any 1911 style works best regardless of caliber, buy the best you can afford.

I would offer one piece of advice, find a club nearby or a friend at a club, ask him/her to help you select your first gun, if they offer, try shooting one of their's or as many as they will let you, you will find at some clubs there are many people who will be willing and able to help. You will never know which gun you like or love till after you shoot it, for me any 1911 style works best regardless of caliber, buy the best you can afford.
Thanks for the advice. My father is very pro 2A so im no stranger to firearms just didnt realize how strict Mass laws were until I started the process. Luckily he has allowed me to try everything from his RIA 1911 to his M1a. Im a fool for waiting until covid started to get my ass in gear and Im paying for it! If I had 5 bucks for every college buddy who asked to borrow a firearm just for me to tell them I dont even have mine from my youth up in Mass yet Id be able to buy a pre-ban in cash.

Also just a fun note I think youll all appreciate. I put in an offer to buy a home on the same day I submitted my LTC application and I will be in the home as its owner before I even go to the PD for my interview.....Massachusetts is clown world

I guess I should have maybe prefaced with the fact that I like really nice guns that tend to cost over $1k
i don't buy junk either. i might if the deal is to good to be true but whoever gets the contents of my safe will be happy.

Its because there's a ton of first time buyers all over the country and not all of them pass the background check. Someone out there has the same or similar name as yours and got denied for some reason so now yours gets delayed while they determine if thats the other guy or you. A few years back I started getting 'further review' all of a sudden. Same idea for the cause of that but with the computer based check that went away. It only happened on the telephone NICS check.

I get asked all the time what first gun someone should buy and I have them come over for a little show and tell.
I've done this 4 times this year, it's nice seeing newbies especially when they get their wives involved as well.

I generally know what I want before even heading to the store. Hell just about every purchase this year has been a inbound transfer.

I have never walked into a place not knowing exactly what I am going to buy, I have never impulse purchased a weapon.

I generally buy used guns. Seldom do I walk into a an FFL with an idea as to what I will buy unless it is a new gun that I wanted. I frequently purchase a weapon impulsively if the price is right and the condition is good. I improve my collection value by my impulse buys.

My rule on "impulse buys" is that if it's not in a caliber already have, I'll do my best to resist.
Currently, especially for a first time purchaser, choice is limited by the lack of stock -- you can do all the advance research you want, but if the store doesn't have anything on your shortlist available, do you just walk away empty-handed?

Personally, I have a mental list of what I am in the market for and the price point that will make me pull the trigger. So if I see a P229, Luger or P7M13 at the right price, darn right I'm making an "impulse buy".

Last edited:
Lots of delays happening. Lots more than under "normal" circumstances. I suspect I have typed this multiple times now, but maybe this helps.

When we submit your NICS background check to the FBI, the computer attempts to resolve it. We get a response as soon as we hit "submit" which is either "NEW" or "RESEARCHING". New means that the computer was able to make the decision. This is almost always "Proceed". It used to be the case that if you were a resident alien that we would get an "Delayed" immediately, but resident aliens all appear to get "RESEARCHING" now.

Researching means that some employee has to actually look at their computer screen and the information that the computer could not resolve. Sometimes this is easy such as you have the same name as your felon father and they can see form the age that you are not the same person; or maybe you are black and 35 and the person with the felony record is white and 55 and lives in Oregon. These the human can resolve and you get a "Proceed" within the 20 minute timeout.

If the problem is hard we will get a "Delayed" quickly also assuming that the person does their job.

If it times out, that is no one at the FBI does the job in a timely fashion, we get "Delayed". That is the primary source of new delays. 20 minutes of "RESEARCHING" followed by "Delayed". Lots of pissed customers since this is the first time they have ever been delayed.

Maybe its my customer base, but I have noticed that good Irish sounding names are getting delayed more often than not...

You shoulda "demanded to speak to the store manager" .... ya know, just because ....

1596392743439.png

I have never impulse bought a gun but I have changed/made up my mind based on a conversation w the gun shop guys; I went in thinking about one gun and ended up changing my mind - but I never bought the gun that day. I went home, did a little research and went back and bought the other gun.

Particularly when I’m looking for specific attributes and I have narrowed it down to a couple models, and then the LGS guy shows me an option I didn’t previously know about. I have ended up going back a couple times to buy the gun they recommended.

True story: back in the early 60's I acquired a Iver Johnson top break .32 special in nickel. At that time in Mass even a 15 year old could buy gunz and ammo. I walked into the local Army Navy store and asked the clerk for a box of .32. 'Son, he replied, .32 ACP or .32 rimmed ? I took a stab, I'll take the ACP. No problem or so I thought. The next Friday night we piled in a buddy's 30's Jaguar sedan and went night rat hunting at the local dump. I decided to test my new toy so I unassed the car and stood 4 feet away from an old porcelain toilet and aimed, Flash, boom, I got sprayed with porcelain shards, or so I thought. The porcelain potty stood there unbroken, never hit it, so I tried again.

Impulse gun purchases are the only kind I make.

Wander around gun shops in a semi consistent rotation and you’ll find all sorts of treasures lurking behind the piles of crap.

Question for those in NH- is there something going on with NICS checks or whatever NH runs? I’ve seen a couple transactions at Shooters outpost where the buyer did not walk out with their gun. What am I missing?

Back
Top Bottom