Gun shop sold me old shotgun shells - safe to shoot?

I'm a new LTC holder and new gun owner (bought a used Mossberg 500 at the same shop (it ended up being way older than was advertised, but that's another story)). After researching lot numbers online, the shotgun shells I was sold appears to be extremely old. I have slugs very likely manufactured in 2007, and 00 buckshot likely manufactured in 1997. Caveat emptor, I know. Is this ammunition likely safe to shoot? On the buckshot in particular appears to have some erosion spots on the brass.

It’s probably fine. How bad is this “erosion?” Are we talking a little surface oxidation or actual pitting?

1997 isn’t really old if they were stored properly. I have surplus .30-06 that I think was made in the 60’s and it shoots fine. Also the older Mossbergs are arguably better built than the newer ones.

It’s probably fine. How bad is this “erosion?” Are we talking a little surface oxidation or actual pitting?

1997 isn’t really old if they were stored properly. I have surplus .30-06 that I think was made in the 60’s and it shoots fine. Also the older Mossbergs are arguably better built than the newer ones.
Yeah, I'm not especially angry about the Mossberg being older. The wooden furniture is gorgeous. There is some rust, but otherwise it's in great cosmetic condition. I haven't fired it yet. I do wonder if I should get it looked at by a gunsmith just in case, however.

20201102_100557.jpg

With regards to the ammo, it might just be oxidation. First is the buckshot and then the slugs:

20201102_100427.jpg
20201102_100816.jpg

Everything there looks just fine. Just make sure to brace that butt stock on your shoulder well before pulling that trigger. Shooting buckshot and slugs out of a pump have some good recoil.

Shotguns are very tolerant of bad ammo, extremely tough. As long as it feeds, nothing bad will happen. Worst case scenario is they won't fire. But those look absolutely fine. I'd be more concerned about what looks like rust on the bolt carrier. I would detail strip and clean that rust up asap.

Shotguns are very tolerant of bad ammo, extremely tough. As long as it feeds, nothing bad will happen. Worst case scenario is they won't fire. But those look absolutely fine. I'd be more concerned about what looks like rust on the bolt carrier. I would detail strip and clean that rust up asap.
Would a gunsmith would be able to handle that for 2-3 hundred? As a newbie, I would be concerned with screwing it up.

Would a gunsmith would be able to handle that for 2-3 hundred? As a newbie, I would be concerned with screwing it up.

You won't screw anything up. The mossy is super easy to disassemble. You will just want some brass and nylon brushes, some cleaner, and some oil. You can use expensive store brand gun cleaner and oil (I like MPro stuff) or you can use household materials like kerosine (watch out for plastic!) and motor oil.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYcaZd2cDn4

You got this.

get some 0000 steel wool and oil and clean the rust off. It will be fine. When was the shotgun made?

It's all good to go, hose the action down with some CLP or Ballistol and cycle the pump a bunch of times, that will clean up some of the light rust spots you have, then go shoot the damn thing. Pump shotguns are very simple and tough, usually if a modern plastic hulled 12ga round will chamber it is good to go. The only shot shells old enough to cause issues will have paper hulls and even most of those would shoot ok.

It's all good to go, hose the action down with some CLP or Ballistol and cycle the pump a bunch of times, that will clean up some of the light rust spots you have, then go shoot the damn thing. Pump shotguns are very simple and tough, usually if a modern plastic hulled 12ga round will chamber it is good to go. The only shot shells old enough to cause issues will have paper hulls and even most of those would shoot ok.
Last week I bought buckshot from the same shop and fired them at an indoor range (using the range's armory Mossberg). I didn't get a look at the lot number but according to the instructor who oversaw me those shells had paper hulls; they were Federal and had the same box design as the slugs so I would reckon manufactured mid 2000s. There were streak patterns on the target (hard to explain). That was what prompted me to look into the other ammo I bought and the age of my shotgun.

I'm a new LTC holder and new gun owner (bought a used Mossberg 500 at the same shop (it ended up being way older than was advertised, but that's another story)). After researching lot numbers online, the shotgun shells I was sold appears to be extremely old. I have slugs very likely manufactured in 2007, and 00 buckshot likely manufactured in 1997. Caveat emptor, I know. Is this ammunition likely safe to shoot? On the buckshot in particular appears to have some erosion spots on the brass.

Welcome to the forum. It’s a tough time to be getting into the sport. Selection is very limited and everything is selling for top dollar these days.

I have seen shops buy old ammo and resell it during previous ammo shortages just like some members here are selling some ammo in the classifieds. Some of the prices have doubled, or more, since early this year.

As others have said, your ammo is fine. Ammunition will last a long time if it is stored reasonable.

Bob

Last week I bought buckshot from the same shop and fired them at an indoor range (using the range's armory Mossberg). I didn't get a look at the lot number but according to the instructor who oversaw me those shells had paper hulls; they were Federal and had the same box design as the slugs so I would reckon manufactured mid 2000s. There were streak patterns on the target (hard to explain). That was what prompted me to look into the other ammo I bought and the age of my shotgun.

Shotgun rounds have a cup in them to hold the shot, if you're close enough the cup will hit the target and it makes a funny shape, since it tumbles.

Yeah, I'm not especially angry about the Mossberg being older. The wooden furniture is gorgeous. There is some rust, but otherwise it's in great cosmetic condition.

View attachment 406820

That's not rust. This is rust - on a Winchester Model 52.

IMG_2333.JPG

The way to remove rust is with Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner. It's a stainless steel and monel alloy that's harder than rust but softer than bluing. You can scrub the rust and whatever is left of the bluing will remain. Then seal the surface with Renaissance Wax - at least that's what I do.

IMG_2359.JPG

Here's the same barrel after Big 45-ing. Still legitimately in original condition as no refinishing has taken place. You can see where the rust was and how much original blueing remains. No scratches on the blueing. Not super pretty but not embarassing either. Barrel looks great from 6 feet away.

Model 52 Barrel.JPG

Last edited:
With paper hulls, if it will chamber it is most likely fine, long as there are no signs of water damage. Paper hulls can be damaged by moisture/humidity.

Most manufacturers got out of the paper shells in the 60’s IIRC. Federal is currently making shotgun shells in paper hulls. Maybe you had some of the new ones.

Federal's New Gold Medal Grand Paper Shotgun Shells - AllOutdoor.com

Bob

i didn't know there was a shot shell registry online to date shotgun ammo. there's my new learned thing for today! 😊

I've been shooting some 12ga from the 70's and 80's lately to use it up and rotate the old stuff. Some with rusty brass on it, and so far my Mossberg has had no problems with them. I bought my Mossberg 500 new in the mid 80's, so same age as yours.

From 1997 isn't old WTF! I have a few boxes of these I bought in the Late 60's and I wouldn't have any concern shooting any one of them. Fcking young wippersnappers these days SHEEESH! (LOL). Seriously look over the shells if there isn't any mold or algae growing around the primers, you should be good to go. I wouldn't hesitate using them shooting clays or targets.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
from the 1997 isn't old WTF! I have a few boxes of these I bought in the Late 60's and I wouldn't have any concern shooting any one of them. Fcking young wippersnappers these days SHEEESH!

they switched me from the swingline to the boston stapler, but I kept my swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the swingline stapler, and it's not ok because if they take my stapler then i'll set the building on fire

Back
Top Bottom